Newbie Battery Help

rexbirk

I use Hobby King Nano Tech 3000mah 4 Cell packs in my F450 with 8" props. I charge them with a cheap Hobby King Accucell 6 which I have five of. Very inexpensive and charges all my battery chemistry's. I use them for my gas airplanes and all my electrics.

With the 4 cell 3000's I usually fly 8 minutes and when I recharge the pack I put in 1500 to 1800 milliamps. So I'm not pushing them hard. I do carry a GoPro3 in it's waterproof case.

You will find a lot of info on this site on the F450. It was my first Quad Copter and I'm afraid that without this forum I would have been lost. Read a lot and make sure you understand what you are doing. I was able to set mine up and maiden it with no trouble. I couldn't believe it! It seems daunting at first trying to understand setup but you will figure it out after some study. The DJI manual is very helpful but due to some of their translations to English it is a little confusing.

There are many good videos on setup on Youtube also. That helped me a lot.

adanac

Thank you! Is there something I can read that explains the letters and numbers on the batteries, and how to match batteries with motors and props?

rexbirk

If you are using the standard DJI Motors then their 8" props are for 4 cell packs and the 10" are for three cells. As a general rule when you increase the cell count you need to reduce the prop load on the motor since it will spin faster on the higher voltage.

With all else being equal if you increase the pitch and or diameter of the prop the amps drawn will increase.

adanac

That's great information, thank you. I received 3-cell batteries with the kit and a number of props so I'll be sure to start with the 10" props.

rexbirk

Good. If you follow the manufacturers instructions you can't go wrong in most cases. I am having a blast with the 450. It is my first quad. Could not be happier.