Newb from New Hampshire!

ponchota

Helloooo everyone! Like the title says, I'm a newb multirotor pilot from New Hampshire. I am a novice heli pilot with a stretched Protos 500 and I have owned various other helis over the past 2 yrs. Never really mastered them as of yet but I figured I would give multis a shot and bought a used MQX and to make a long story short... I was bit by the multi bug!:highly_amused: I learned orientations etc. so much quicker which helped with my helis. So now I am doing my first multi build and trying to do it on the cheap for my first real multi. It's a DJI 550 clone with DJi 2212 motors, HK 30amp escs flashed with Simonk firmware, KK2.0 FC not flashed with 1.5 yet. I'm hoping to have all parts needed within the next 2 weeks if the wife permits! Also worth mentioning, I work with Mastercam, unfortunately only router version 2D stuff but I am cutting on a Onsrud CNC with a 61"x145" table! So I plan to make parts myself at some point.

Regards
Mike

Also from NH here over in wakefield...been flyin these for a couple of yrs....dji f450, gopro3, lawmate 2.4 vid system and I fly 72mhz rc system for longer range...if u have any ?'s hit me up...enjoy..:)

ponchota

Thanks hollywood. I def. will. I live in Manchester. Once I get more comfortable with this one I'm gonna do something higher end with FPV too.

ponchota

Thanks, I'm hoping so too. This is my first multi build so I am hoping to be able to tap the knowledge of the more experienced members here, and avoid some of that learning curve and $$$ doing it on my own. I'm also a member on Helifreak and everyone there has proven to be a great group of guys and gals that want to help as much as you want to learn. They really have a passion for the hobby and strive to improve it.

Welcome Mike. I've been flying a DJI F550 since last fall. I'm looking forward to the photo ops on my NH vacations this summer, White Mountains mostly. I'm the meantime I've been doing lots of still photography in my area of Massachusetts (A couple show Hampton Beach NH)
Aerial photography 1
Aerial Photography 2

Last edited by a moderator:

ponchota

Wow, you've got some nice pics there. That's the direction I'm heading in. Gonna get my feet wet with this DJI clone, then move up to something more solid/stable and start doing aerial photography and video. Who knows maybe it may become something. Can't wait to head up to the mountains to try videoing. Too bad the Old Man of the mountain is no longer there.
I have almost everything I need to complete the build, just waiting on the small things to come in. Is it me or are all Hobbytowns useless for serious RC? I have one 5 mins away but they literally have nothing... EVER!

bmw111

Lol hobby town. Check out RC Warehouse in Nashua. Not much quad stuff there, but motors, ESC, batteries , Rx/tax, etc. I'm in Bedford, NH. Been into this for about 5 months, slowly getting deeper. I've got a Walkera QR X400 with their 5.8 vid tx and Devo F7 fpv tx - I call it hobby grade. The quad is nice but the vid is lame. Was just a "cheap" trial to see if I really want to spend lots of money. :dread: I'm torn between going full quad fpv or going the fixed wing route. Quads are nice around NH, hard to find large, open spaces to fly a plane without the trees. Trying to avoid the local clubs - I really don't like going somewhere to just relax and practice and wind up getting lectured to about everything RC from all the old-timers. Still making up my mind, though.

ponchota

Ha! +1 about the old timers! Been to RC buyers many times. Wanna talk about old timers??? I'm 44 and they talk to me like I'm 12yo. Twice I've gone there for lipos w/ questions and left with nothing because twice that same person made me feel like I was a child. I just wanted Hobbytown to just carry some of the simple things.

Mike, I bought all my multi rotor stuff including FPV from RChover, in person, in Foxboro MA. Tell Jeremy that Jim Harrington sent you.

Also be aware that straight out of an unstabilized GoPro, still photos need LOTS of Photoshop work to correct color,contrast, level the horizon and most importantly, remove the fisheye distortion. When the horizon runs right through the center of an image, it can be nearly a straight line... but if the horizon is off-center of the frame... it's curved like crazy.

Here is a link to a multi-rotor video I made on a very calm day. I let youtube do its own "stabilize" on this one.
Saugus Town Hall Aerial video. Go 1080 and full screen!

bmw111

Nice video Jim. I've done just two flights with my GoPro Hero2 on my Walkera and it's ... better than I thought considering it was really windy on Saturday and my limited skills, but nothing like the calm, smoothness in your vid. Are you flying FPV with a monitor, or goggles, or just shooting video with the GoPro?

ponchota

Wow, that's really nice. Incredibly stable. All I need are my servo ext. wires and the lipo to come in and I'm all set to complete my build!! I do go down that way a few times a year so I will def. have to stop in.

Thank You

There's a guy in Seabrook NH who flies an F550. He's on this forum somewhere.

He's on Google+ here:
https://plus.google.com/109332795149694733228/posts

I'm on Google+ Here:
https://plus.google.com/104688579048759425474/posts

Google+ is a great place for sharing multi-rotor media because there are lots of communities related to FPV, Multi-rotor photography, etc.
Not to take away from the value of this Multi-rotor forum but by following other multi-rotor flyers on Google+ the stream can be filled with lots of interesting stuff. I post most of my new aerial media on Google+ before anywhere else for the almost-instant feedback.

Any G-plussers here are encouraged to follow my feed on G+.

Here's an example of an FPV community feed:
https://plus.google.com/communities/101523078194155402298

An unmanned aircraft community:
https://plus.google.com/communities/101523078194155402298

Multi-rotor photography and video:
https://plus.google.com/communities/111139174993610762902

Sorry, I got carried away...

ponchota

Thanks Jim. I had no idea about these forums, I had been searching the conventional way and had never found this. I will be joining there as well.