Newb Can't Fly

Brady

Hello everyone! I am a college student and for a project we are working on building a quadcopter. Eventually the goal of the project is to take off the flight controller and build our own. But for now we are just learning about them in general. We are trying to build our first quadcopter and are having problems. Right now I am so confused I'm not even sure what our problem is!

Here is the equipment we are trying to use:

Flysky FS-I6 with FS-IA6B receiver.
F4 Flame Race Spec STM32F405 Flight Controller.
Racestar RS20Ax4 20A 4in1 ESC
And a power distribution board.

I'm not even sure where to start with how lost we are....

With my setup, should I be doing PPM or iBus?

Does anyone know how to calibrate these ESC's and gotten it to work? I have the manual for the BLheli firmware, and it is supposed to beep a certain pattern, but we can't get it to follow the pattern in the manual.

My tx says I'm bound to my rx, but my ESC never sees any throttle. I'm sure this is because I'm not doing the switch or stick arm correctly..

Is there any difference between using cleanflight or betaflight?

I'm sure that I need to answer more questions before we can figure out what to do, so please ask me whatever more details you need to know. I don't know enough to know what to post!

I could really use any help we can find. Thank you so much.

Brady

I think some of my problem might be wiring or some configuration setting I can't find. I realized today in Betaflight that under the Receiver tab that my AERT and Aux values never change when I move the sticks on my TX.

I'm trying to use PPM for now, since I figured 1 wire would be easier for me right now. I have 5v going from my flight controller to my RX, and a wire from the the PPM port on my Flight controller to the PPM pin on my RX. Am I missing anything? Also, in betaflight I changed the RX type to PPM. And my TX and RX are bound.

rftrat

I think some of my problem might be wiring or some configuration setting I can't find. I realized today in Betaflight that under the Receiver tab that my AERT and Aux values never change when I move the sticks on my TX.

I'm trying to use PPM for now, since I figured 1 wire would be easier for me right now. I have 5v going from my flight controller to my RX, and a wire from the the PPM port on my Flight controller to the PPM pin on my RX. Am I missing anything? Also, in betaflight I changed the RX type to PPM. And my TX and RX are bound.
You need to use sbus

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

rftrat

You need to use sbus

5v / ground/ subs
b5e1d18446f1bbf2038a4abfaa75a138.jpg