New Year, new questions

cootertwo

First, and I've asked this before, but everyone knows that the stupid little dipole antennas that come with just about any video transmitter you buy, are junk, and barely work, right? Sooo how come just about any transmitter you buy, has a dipole antenna? I realize we're talking different frequencies, but a dipole is a dipole.

Second, I want to setup 2, 5.8 antennas, connected to my Immersion duo diversity receiver. One antenna in my back yard, and the other one in the front yard. Purpose being so that I can sit either out front, or back, and fly FPV, all the way around my tree covered 1 acre. I tried it once, with just a clover leaf antenna screwed onto the end of a length of wire, running through my house from front to back, and my diversity receiver on my front porch, with a clover leaf antenna on it. However, the receiver tended to stay locked onto the antenna on the receiver, even when I was flying out back, nearer to the antenna on the wire in the back. Going back to my CB radio days, I'm thinking that the antenna on the wire needs a ground plane, so to speak. What say all you gurus?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just a guess but maybe you'd be better off with two receivers and using extensions on the wires between the goggles and receivers? maybe that's a better place to use extensions?

i'd also wager that dipoles are cheap as cheap and so they're the included option of choice for manufacturers. i actually strip the plastic off and use them for fpv flying, the picture gets a little static here and there but if you're not going far they're lighter and almost no drag with just the little wire nub up there in the breeze.