New Release: Connex HD Video Downlink 3000FT $1599.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, had an interesting day. Keeping things at high quality and airborne mode I was getting about 250-350 before loosing signal in a rural location and with direct line of site (I know this isn't the optimum setup for range but I wanted to reduce range for this test in order to make it easier to conduct). I decided to try replacing the stock antennae with Fat Shark clover leafs and with a Fat Shark patch antennae. Well, it worked but I didnt get any further range from it. The receiver had the patch antenna, two clover leafs and two of the standard antennae.

fltundra

Your probably not going to see any gains unless you use left and right hand polarization antenna's with the TX/RX.

fltundra

You would need one of the TX antenna's to be right hand polarization and one left.
With two right hand and two left hand antennas on the RX.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
You would need one of the TX antenna's to be right hand polarization and one left.
With two right hand and two left hand antennas on the RX.

Why is that?

Just curious what the science behind this is...

Also, a lot of Fatshark antennas are optimized for 5600-5900ish which doesn't get the full benefit from a system like this that can hop between 5.1 and 5.8.... or that was my logic.

fltundra

Why is that?

Just curious what the science behind this is...

Also, a lot of Fatshark antennas are optimized for 5600-5900ish which doesn't get the full benefit from a system like this that can hop between 5.1 and 5.8.... or that was my logic.
  • Polarization diversity combines pairs of antennas with orthogonal polarizations (i.e. horizontal/vertical, ± slant 45°, Left-hand/Right-hand CP etc.). Reflected signals can undergo polarization changes depending on the medium through which they are traveling. A polarization difference of 90° will result in an attenuation factor of up to 34dB in signal strength. By pairing two complementary polarizations, this scheme can immunize a system from polarization mismatches that would otherwise cause signal fade. Additionally, such diversity has proven valuable at radio and mobile communication base stations since it is less susceptible to the near random orientations of transmitting antennas.

fltundra

This explains what I meant by using two different polarizations on the Rx and 2 different on the TX. The prior video, it looks as though Alex is using all right-hand.

Mike Fortin

Just switching over from the Lightbridge, will get this setup on Monday. What is everyone using for gimbal control and copter control? My concern is too much 2.4 on board.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Just switching over from the Lightbridge, will get this setup on Monday. What is everyone using for gimbal control and copter control? My concern is too much 2.4 on board.

That was why I never used the Lightbridge. Since the Connex is 5.8ghz, using 2.4 on aircraft and gimbal control is no problem.

Mike Fortin

We never had an issue with the LB since it was the only 2.4 system on the aircraft. My main concern is running 2 x Futaba RX's in such close proximity on the aircraft.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
We never had an issue with the LB since it was the only 2.4 system on the aircraft. My main concern is running 2 x Futaba RX's in such close proximity on the aircraft.

What are you considering to be close proximity? We've been running two Futaba receivers on a Cinestar/MoVi combo for months now with no issues.

Mike Fortin

Within 12" of each other.

We are running the A2 so might just use that as a stand alone receiver and see how it goes.

Just want the safest and most reliable connection.

PerpleXer

I read here that someone had problems with the camera settings PAL 50Hz.
Can anyone confirm that it works with PAL?
I have a Panasonic GH4.
Thanks