New here and need a little help

Bruno28

Hello,

Ive had my eyes on getting a quadcopter for a while, mostly for fun and video footage
I was going to get a F550 but now I think i will just build a cheap one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Includes_KK2_0_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html
Is that something good just to start?

So my important question is, how do you get the orientation correct as they look the same in every direction?
I have rc helicopters 700 size, so I would guess it helps as its similar, but as you fly them far away without FPV, how do you not loose orientation?

All information and knowledge from everyone is welcome, i want to learn about it!

Hi Bruno, Never had one but for $100 it’s a good cheap learning platform (the KK2 FC is good for its price).

I started with the DJI F550 purchased as a RTF kit for about $320 + Naza & Gps another $400. I was happy with my decision and enjoyed learning to fly it. Found it flew better with the 8" props (smoother) but then I decided to add gimbal with landing gear, gopro2, fpv gear, Eagle tree telemetry and had to go to 10" graupner props to carry the weight.

Once the weight is increased to this level it’s no longer as responsive as it was and flight time is reduced, (still using original DJI motor), its ok for aerial photography (just hobby not professional) but not so for FPV.

Purchasing the F550 + FC was the cheapest part of the whole deal $720, by the time you buy all the other stuff that you need to go with it (may not be the case for you as your already flying helis) you can easily end up spending $3,000+ on this hobby.

Having arrived at this point I wanted something smaller and more responsive/manoeuvrable so I have now invested in a TBS Discovery which I am building at the moment.

Orientation I found is difficult with a hexa even though it has different coloured legs once it’s any reasonable distance from you it’s almost impossible to know. Guys outfit their craft with LEDs' and all sorts, but Naza does provide IOC (with course lock and home lock that makes it almost full proof if you lose orientation).

Decide what you would really like to do with a multi-rotor, Aerial Photography or FPV or whatever else. This Turnigy Micro Quad V2 might be a good place for you to start.
Regards - bruce

philg

Welcome,

Some people put flashing strobe lights on the rear of their multirotor,you can also use bright colours as well.

Bruno28

Hi Bruno, Never had one but for $100 it’s a good cheap learning platform (the KK2 FC is good for its price).

I started with the DJI F550 purchased as a RTF kit for about $320 + Naza & Gps another $400. I was happy with my decision and enjoyed learning to fly it. Found it flew better with the 8" props (smoother) but then I decided to add gimbal with landing gear, gopro2, fpv gear, Eagle tree telemetry and had to go to 10" graupner props to carry the weight.

Once the weight is increased to this level it’s no longer as responsive as it was and flight time is reduced, (still using original DJI motor), its ok for aerial photography (just hobby not professional) but not so for FPV.

Purchasing the F550 + FC was the cheapest part of the whole deal $720, by the time you buy all the other stuff that you need to go with it (may not be the case for you as your already flying helis) you can easily end up spending $3,000+ on this hobby.

Having arrived at this point I wanted something smaller and more responsive/manoeuvrable so I have now invested in a TBS Discovery which I am building at the moment.

Orientation I found is difficult with a hexa even though it has different coloured legs once it’s any reasonable distance from you it’s almost impossible to know. Guys outfit their craft with LEDs' and all sorts, but Naza does provide IOC (with course lock and home lock that makes it almost full proof if you lose orientation).

Decide what you would really like to do with a multi-rotor, Aerial Photography or FPV or whatever else. This Turnigy Micro Quad V2 might be a good place for you to start.
Regards - bruce

Thanks for the info. They are some cool intereting machines.
I might start with the cheap one just for orientation and see if im really keen into the hobby before spending too much. I know what you mean with $3000+ helis arent cheap too.