New generation brushless gimbal motors

Btw - Tigers website stating that they're only testing their GB2208's and production isn't guaranteed.

...unless someone here knows different...?

jdennings

Anyone has an idea of what the weight limit is (camera), for brushless gimbals built on either Alexmos or Martinez boards? Apparently both boards are only good for a couple amps or so ... I've seen references to pre-wound gimbal motors like the 5208-150 for cameras up to 1.5kg, but will the boards take the actual current required?

anaka

basing on videos available online the board can manage them

please pay attention to the perfect balancing necessary for these brushless gimblas, once you reach the perfect equilibrium you need just a small amounth of power so a 5208 or 5206 well configured can manage a Canon 5D with a reasonably heay lens

the stronger motor is for the tilt axis, for the roll and yaw you could consider the 4008 that is good enough and is lighter at the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKQ1GsSX64

this a 3 axis example directly from AlexMos

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The better balanced the gimbal the less motor power you will need and will only have to deal with external interference, friction on the axis, wind acting on the gimbal when in motion so on ! So 4008/150 when well balance should do it !

The thing i dont agree with is that in my tests it was crucial to have a strong motor on the roll axis than on tilt ! Especiailly also from the setting roll need more power than tilt ! From the alesmoos video one cant really tell since he wound the motors himself, but it looks like the strongest motor is on the pan axis !

Boris

What worries me is the stress on the roll motor shaft; essentially you're hanging a weight perpendicular to the designed axis of these motors. They're designed for stress in the vertical axis (prop load), while they sit horizontally.

The tilt motor usually had a bearing at the other end so the stress is significantly less.

Additionally, the bearings don't get fully balanced wear due to the limited motion of the motor. They're design to do thousands or rpm a minute; on a GB they will never do even a single revolution, never thousands per minute. Expect bearing and shaft life to be short for GB motors.

anaka

for the roll axis it is essential to have a bearing that helps the motor to manage just the balance and not to support the total weight of the arm and camera

abouth the bearings, if you use a good quality bearing you don't have to warry about the fact that they don't work in Hi speed or they don't do a full turn at all
just go for SKF bearings and you should be ok

for Boris

I agree with you, the AlexMos test was done in ideal conditions, no wind, no particularly high stress in stabilization but it is very interesting to see how good quality it comes out with that motors

at the moment I'm finalizing my BG solution for DSLR, I'm going in 2 ways, a 5206 3-axis and a 4006 3-axis, I'll post something as soon as I get good results

jdennings

Anaka thanks for the video link. I am with you on balancing and good bearings. On which axis requires the most torque, it looks like opinions are mixed ... there's a thread on the Freefly forum on converting a cinestar gimbal to brushless where the yaw axis is singled out as the one requiring the most powerful motor.
Makes sense, as this axis has the most inertia and is not "balanced" the same way , and the largest part of the gimbal needs to move on that axis ...

In any case, I'm gonna start two axis with 5206s (and one 5208 for testing/comparison) and go from there, as I'd rather avoid getting in the rewinding game at this point. (I'd like to be able to leave some room to stabilize extra weight if possible, e.g. 5dm2 and heavy long zoom if possible).
Speaking of gimbal motors, the naming is confusing and I haven't been able to infer much on expected torque. (Stator dimensions vs ...) I've been looking at the rctimer 4114 but can't figure out if it is more or less powerful than the 5206's or 5208s ...

anaka

hi jdennings

at this state of the development it looks like that no one has a definitive answer, there is no definitive way to tune up the system, no clear reference on values to assign on each axis, no standard hardware to use as a reference (everyone has he's own DIY) all the camera weights are adifferent so GoPro setting can't work for a GH2 or 5D and so on, these brushless systems work well only if all the weights are perfectly balanced.....
we have to put a line and restart the approach with gimbals but this is funny if you like to be pianoeer

so many variables only create confusion, for this reason I chose to use the same motor on each axis, this helps me to better analize the values coming from the GUI
probably onche I found my equilibrium I will optimize the size of motor per axis, this can contribute to save weight in the final system

SMP

^^ Might want to see if Denny chimes in - I know hes wound his own motors and has played with custom windings and specific Ohm.

DennyR

Yes I am using these big ones. They do have enough torque for a DSLR, at least I have one working a 550D. I have found that a rewind improves things The stock BM motors seem to go for about 10 Ohms but I am using 5-6 Ohms achieved with a dual winding of .20 wire. And then I can crank up the power setting. The new GUI with the latest firmware from Alex needs different settings. The best way to start setting up is to use default and then see how far you can increase the P.

anaka

hi PaNT

the 4114 should be better than 5206, it is second generation BG motor
lighter, with more poles so more resolution and judging by declared data it should manage the same weight of the 5206

BTW all this is theoric

the 4114 is just released and it would be really nice to read the opinion of someone that has it

PaNt

hi PaNT

the 4114 should be better than 5206, it is second generation BG motor
lighter, with more poles so more resolution and judging by declared data it should manage the same weight of the 5206

BTW all this is theoric

the 4114 is just released and it would be really nice to read the opinion of someone that has it

OKi think i have to order some :) :)