New generation brushless gimbal motors

anaka

Hi DIY people,

googling for this new amazing way to move camera gimbals I found several new motors, directly from producers, available on the market and I want to share some interesting links....interesting also in terms of prices ;)

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=203

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=870&productname=

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/mult...motors/ipower-4006-150-brushless-gimbal-motor

http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/160-gimbal-brushless-motor.html

if some of you know more feel free to add links to the list

cheers

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i've got two of the bigger Tiger motors on the way for a small to midsize gimbal project. will report back when they're here and the design is underway.

daniel

how do you know wich one i good for heavier cameras like 5D ?

because of the turns?

in some motors specs, they say 80 turns, or 150 turns?

anybody know what that means?

thanks

anaka

well is not easy to explain
you have to document more on electric motors winding techniques

BTW to understand which motor is better for big cameras you should read the specs from the developers, usually they declare the maximum weight that the motor supports

for a DSLR I'd suggest a motor like this

http://www.iflight-rc.com/product/iPower-Brushless-Motor-iPower-GBM-Series-GBM4108-80.html

just read the specs and you can have a good reference on how to choose you ideal motor

anaka

Hi Benjamin

I wuold answer iPower for a couple of reasons:

i'm using them both the 5206 and 4006 and they work pretty well, I have a GH2 with the 14-42 G-X lens

if you take a walk on other forums, where the brushless gimbal is discussed more in depth, you will find that the most implemented brand is iPower, especially for the DSLR gimbals

DennyR

The Iflight 4006 motor is a good choice with 150 turns of .21 wire. I rewind mine with 2 strands of .20 wire and 85 dual turns. which improves the torque.

A few years ago the F1 motor racing industry turned to the aerospace industry for new solutions for motion control. They discovered the moog valve which is a hydraulic high speed switching valve and today these valves control just about everything on a race car with lightning speed and accuracy. They work in a closed loop feedback system just like a brushless controller and the rotary motors are powerful and extremely accurate. OK so what is the connection with a gimbal design. Well I have one working as a prototype drive assembly, depending on the pressure in use, the resolution, power and speed leave a brushless motor way behind. It can be made very small and light in fact the valve used by F1 teams weighs only 92 grams. The problem is not to create a superior design as that technology already exists, it will be stopping the chinese from copying it within a few weeks of selling your first production model. The other problem is cost which would put us back in the Zenmuse price range but the accuracy and power will be 50 times better.

FWIW the Brushless gimbal does not resolve the theoretical accuracy of the 6050 imu which could be as high as .005 deg. probably a lot less than .05 deg.

The hydraulic solution will not be as sensitive to balance and depending on size will be lighter as the drive unit will be integral with the valve and the gyro. The small low geared pump motor can deliver the required pressure for very little power consumption.

The only way that this can be made economically is in China so the risk is going to always be there. You can register designs and logos etc. in China but I doubt that the Authorities would help you much in that regard if the fines are not more than the profit. It will happen but who knows when.

My first idea was to have the pump as an integral part of the helis main rotor assy. Then the thoughts wandered to the fact that before long the whole craft could be controlled from that source. i.e. even the servos could be replaced with actuators.

That is what the future will bring to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

anaka

Hi Denny

your post is interesting, can you add some links for the solution that you are tallking about?

I agree with you abouth the China problem but if you cinsider that once a solution is worldwide shared probably the cost will drop considerably, and on this the AlexMos solution is a clear example.

DennyR

This is what a moog valve looks like. It is the major motion control solution used in the aerospace world through to jet fighters, airliners and many other high tech devices including medical equipment. A few milli volts can be transfered into a force equal to 230 bar The EO24 moog valve used in F1 would be overkill for our purposes but that same principle can be used. http://www.moog.com/literature/ICD/RCE18N11_Moog-LOW.pdf

If you ever wondered how the F1 driver manages those seamless gear changes, it is all done with moog valves. When the time is right to change up a gear the shift is performed before the gear in use has been deselected. Then just before everything locks up the shift is made without any loss of drive. All done in milliseconds by a central control board along with 3,000 other sensors and active devices.

The hydraulic supply pressure is NOT reliant on one pump alone. Fighter jets have many combat damage redundancy systems.

I have no idea how long it will take but moog valves and actuators will eventually obsolete the servo motor as we know it.

anaka

it looks interesting piece of technology!!

you could consider to start a "kickstarter" project, maybee someone can sponsorize you

DennyR

I know how to design this stuff, the problem is that you need high end CNC machinery to make it, and that does not exist in Cyprus. What we have is expensive and worn out. Maybe I can get the Uni's involved again on the Turkish side.

If I were thirty years younger I would go to China and start a company.

anaka

if your limit is only the machinery let's discuss in private message
maybee I can give you some good directions once I understood the nature of the service you need