New DJI F550 AP GoPro Build

Charlie.

All of the parts for my first multicopter have arrived! All except for my Turnigy 9XR from HobbyKing :upset:

I have attached some pics of all the parts, and will post some more when I get around to building and flying it which will probably be next weekend (if my 9XR turns up!)

Here is my parts list:

F550 ARTF kit
(Stock Motors and ESCs)
NAZA Flight Controller
NAZA GPS
Turnigy Accucell-6 Charger
9XR Transmitter
2x 5000mAh 3S LiPo
FrSky Two Way Telemetry
9XR 2200mAH LiPo
155mm Landing Legs
GoPro gimbal
8x DJI NEW 10x38 Props
Lighting kit from here

Hope you like it :)

View attachment 9367View attachment 9368View attachment 9369

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 448

SMP

I like the combo landing gear battery tray! Nice!! Where did you find that if I might ask?

Charlie.

Attachments

• IMG_0515[1].jpg
    IMG_0515[1].jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0516[1].jpg
    IMG_0516[1].jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0518[1].jpg
    IMG_0518[1].jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0519[1].jpg
    IMG_0519[1].jpg
    121 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0520[1].jpg
    IMG_0520[1].jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 345

Faffer

Looking good ...

I am still working out if I am going to go 450 or 550 but more tempted with the 550...

Keeps us posted on how you are going ..

what soldering iron or what watt was ot still need to factor that in and did you find it easy enough

Did my order for my Tx and RX today so need to check and fnish my parts list .. tho thats been a big enough bill to start with

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie.

I used this soldering iron package:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360453396919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is more than powerful enough for the f550 kit and comes with solder, replacement tips and a solder pump in case you make mistakes! My soldering skills are pretty shocking, but the F550 has HUGE copper pads on it so that makes it pretty easy.

Good luck with your build! I was considering whether to go for the 450 or 550 as its my first build to, and I though it would be better to go with the 550 as you could always buy the top and bottom 450 plates for £15 and you would have all the parts to make a complete F450 with 2 lots of everything left over as spares (motors, arms, esc etc)

Edit: I would also recommend getting some of the led lights like I have on mine. Not only do they look AWESOME but they are meant to help with the orientation of the quad/hexacopter which is good for beginners like us! I will put a video up of them soon.

if you want some just search "DJI LED" on eBay!

Last edited by a moderator:

Faffer

Hi
Well glad to know that Iron is ok I have looked at that one my self..

I am sure once the TX/RX turns up I am going to be shopping and get the 550 on order.

What made you go with the 5000mAh batt ?
and what one have you got ?

Richard

Charlie.

I went with these batteries:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21370

They are good because they are about 50g lighter than other 5000mah 3S LiPo batteries (about the same weight as a standard 4000mah one). I went for high capacity and 3S batteries because I am not looking to do any sport flying, it will be mainly used for filming with my gopro and the 3S batteries are said to offer a "smoother" flight.

I am probably going to use both my 5000mah batteries at the same time, as the extra weight shouldn't be too much of a problem for it as I will be flying at slow speeds and maintaining hovers, and so I should get just under double the flight time :)

Charlie.

Woohoo! My 9XR has been collected by royal mail from Heathrow Airport! It might even come tomorrow (slim chance but I am hopeful)!

Charlie.

Thought I would give a quick update almost 2 months since the last!

The hexacopter is now fully assembled and I have flown it a handful of times (the weather here in the UK is terrible at the moment!)

Here are some pics:

View attachment 10534View attachment 10535View attachment 10536View attachment 10537View attachment 10538

Does anyone know where I should mount my video tx? It's not mounted yet and I think it needs to be as far away from the GPS as possible. Does the orientation of the antenna matter (can it be mounted upside down?)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 266

globalwad

Hi-
I have the same setup as you do, and I mounted my 600mW 5.8 TX up on top, on the opposite side of my battery than the GPS unit is. So both on the top, just separated by the battery. No issues with interference and the balance is nice.
Good luck, looks good!

Charlie.

Thanks globalwad!

My flight battery goes behind the camera gimba on the landing legs so there won't be anything in between except the small 2S LiPo for my video Tx. Should that still be ok? I have plenty of space up there because of having my battery on the landing gear so it can go pretty much anywhere on the top plate :) The weather here in the UK is terrible at the moment and so haven't flown it FPV yet! Had 5 days of rain and 20mph winds!

Thanks,
Charlie

globalwad

It will be fine, yeah. The battery on mine is not providing anything with regard to help with interference between the two, just using it as a reference point to visualize the distance between. I was thinking mine might be too close originally also, but no, all good.

Charlie.

Oh and does the receiver antenna interfere with it in anyway, because my receiver antenna is sticking out of the top plate opposite the GPS module so the video tx would be right next to that.

Charlie.

My radio (and receiver) are 2.4ghz and my Vtx is 5.8Ghz like yours. My receiver has 2 antennae coming out of it. I think one's for telemetry (which I don't use) and one's for the main 8 channels). One of them I have sticking out of the top plate and one is running down an arm. I don't know which antenna is which though!

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hello @Charlie. Are you still hanging around here at this forum? I've got some questions on your landing legs as I want to build a F550 and place two batteries (parallel) below.