New builder F550 Noob questions

Hello everyone,
I have just a few questions before I get into my build. I’m planning a F550 model. My experience in RC has mostly been cars and trucks but I am familiar with the technology though it has changed a bit since I was last in the game. I can solder and know basic electronics. Currently I have a Phantom 2 Vision that is a cool little RTR out of the box unit but I’m looking to get into something more. I choose the 550 because my ultimate plan is to do some FPV and load the thing up a bit and it sounds like this is the machine to handle that application. Being a person who hates to do things twice I would rather just shoot for the gold. Being a realist I know I should start simple by just building the unit and getting it off the ground before adding any other tech. Once I’ve got a good handle on control of the 550 I’ll go from there.
So here are my questions.

1, I have been looking at the different packages on Atlanta Hobby since they are closest to me and wonder about which Naza control is the best model. I do want GPS capability so I’m thinking the Naza V2 with GPS or should I look at the Naza-M V2?

2, I have been looking at the Spektrum DX8 2.4 Ghz Transmitter and AR8000 Receiver. Although it seems that people on here say to stick with Futuba. I plan to have a gimbal with gopro at some point along and don’t want to short myself on channels. I’d like to only have to buy one and no suffer buyer’s remorse. Is iSOD something that I should do now or can that be added as I build up my 550?

3, I never expect this thing to fly for 30 minutes like some. I would be happy to get 15 minutes with it unloaded and maybe 10 with more equipment. Being that I’m starting my flying with it unloaded what is a good battery that I can buy a few of? I’m sure once I get into making this thing heavier I will need to upgrade but for now just flying it stock what’s a good deal? My older trucks and cars are not Lipo so I need recommendations on an good charger that should be able to grow with me when I change batteries.

Thanks for any input from everyone. I will be shore to update once I get parts in and start my build!
I look forward to being a part of this community.

Tahoe Ed

Hello everyone,
I have just a few questions before I get into my build. I’m planning a F550 model. My experience in RC has mostly been cars and trucks but I am familiar with the technology though it has changed a bit since I was last in the game. I can solder and know basic electronics. Currently I have a Phantom 2 Vision that is a cool little RTR out of the box unit but I’m looking to get into something more. I choose the 550 because my ultimate plan is to do some FPV and load the thing up a bit and it sounds like this is the machine to handle that application. Being a person who hates to do things twice I would rather just shoot for the gold. Being a realist I know I should start simple by just building the unit and getting it off the ground before adding any other tech. Once I’ve got a good handle on control of the 550 I’ll go from there.
So here are my questions.

1, I have been looking at the different packages on Atlanta Hobby since they are closest to me and wonder about which Naza control is the best model. I do want GPS capability so I’m thinking the Naza V2 with GPS or should I look at the Naza-M V2?

They are the same.

2, I have been looking at the Spektrum DX8 2.4 Ghz Transmitter and AR8000 Receiver. Although it seems that people on here say to stick with Futuba. I plan to have a gimbal with gopro at some point along and don’t want to short myself on channels. I’d like to only have to buy one and no suffer buyer’s remorse. Is iSOD something that I should do now or can that be added as I build up my 550?

If you want to do FPV then iOSD is very helpful. The mini is fine unless you want flight data recording. I have a JR 9503 that I will sell you for cheap with a r921 receiver. Seriously, get a Futaba if you are going to fly DJI. Get a 8FGS or 14GS. Buy once and never look back.

3, I never expect this thing to fly for 30 minutes like some. I would be happy to get 15 minutes with it unloaded and maybe 10 with more equipment. Being that I’m starting my flying with it unloaded what is a good battery that I can buy a few of? I’m sure once I get into making this thing heavier I will need to upgrade but for now just flying it stock what’s a good deal? My older trucks and cars are not Lipo so I need recommendations on an good charger that should be able to grow with me when I change batteries.

I am a fan of Turnegy lipos. Other guys like the Zippy's and others the GenAces. Many opinions. Make up you own mind.

Thanks for any input from everyone. I will be shore to update once I get parts in and start my build!
I look forward to being a part of this community.

See the red comments.

Thank you for the reply!
I'm still in the planning phase and my primary objective is just to build it stock and fly it around my back field within LOS. I want to be comfortable with what I'm building and not rush into loading it all up.
I'll look into all the option and pick a radio and get some batteries and a charger and have at it then move on from there.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I'm only chiming in because I just went through the same process with a 550 and with Atlanta Hobby.

I went in to the store with a few preconceptions that I'd gleamed from the forums. But I was willing to be persuaded by the experts.
They sold me a DX9 which was a bit cheaper than the radio I had in mind. Their line that "We are very familiar with the DX9 and can give you any support you need." was the clincher. (BTW: .spm files for the DX8 are not compatible with the DX9. If you don't find an .spm that you like, lemme know and I can send you mine.)

I got an AR8000 to mount on my 550. The wiring for the last 4 channels was a bit confusing, but I worked it out. I like the extra remote antennas on the AR8000. I've got antennas sticking out on both sides of my heli on perpendicular axis.

They recommended a High Sierra 3 cell 45C 5200mah battery, so I got 2.
All the warnings about exploding LiPos made me cautious, so I coughed up for an iMax B6 duo smart charger.

It's all working well. And I haven't had to take Atlanta Hobby up on their offer of support. Yet. But I've only logged 4 flights in my new tool, so weigh my input as 'novice'.

I only hit two serious bumps in my build:

1- Programming the gimbal. Trying to take small steps, I first calibrated everything without the Zenmuse attached. After adding the gimbal, I had to go back and use the DJI Zenmuse Assistant software (There's separate Gimbal Assistant software? Oh...), and setup the gimbal. Then I went back into the Naza Assistant/Tx to calibrate the knob that tilts the gimbal. You'll figure it out when you get there.

2- Setting the failsafe on the Spektrum is a bit funky.
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...Failsafes-and-JR-nine-channel-receivers/page2

Bart just hosted a group build with imbedded videos that answered almost every one of my questions. Check it out:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter!

Too bad about Green Bay...

Thank for the info on your build! I have heard a lot of good things about the people at Atlanta Hobby. It sounds like I'm on a similar path as you. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer to help when I get there.

I'm second guessing perusing this. I was asked by some local authorities about my phantom. Apparently there are lots of laws concerning flying these. I have only ever used mine over private property but now I find out that's about all I ca do with it...huh...