Aeronavics / Droidworx New Build Planned - SkyJib-X4 Heavy Retractable

Cheshirecat

That looks the Dog's.... who did you use and what cost? I am at that point and have been folding down the SJ which is a bit of a pain TBH altough i do agree with the Droidworx argument that having disconectable electrics (as S800) could impact reliability. But the QR upgrade is a bit of a mickey take cost wise IMO. I drive BMW BTW much better than Audi:)

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
Hi Ches,

£300 for the flight case £65 for drawing origination and £250 for the insert (+VAT)

I'm not a fan of the QR idea - apart fom getting the crash cage off quicker... I spent a long time getting the props/motors lined up, think the QR system would have an effect on that.

I like the insert as the x4 rests just on it's arms when inside.

If anyone is interested I could enquire about sourcing some more, as is or modified.

Steve

That looks the Dog's.... who did you use and what cost? I am at that point and have been folding down the SJ which is a bit of a pain TBH altough i do agree with the Droidworx argument that having disconectable electrics (as S800) could impact reliability. But the QR upgrade is a bit of a mickey take cost wise IMO. I drive BMW BTW much better than Audi:)

baja-king

Your welcome Gary

Hi Steve,

That looks really nice ! Where did you have that done? I must thank you for your advice as it helped me make my decision. I have just finished building my SKYJIB X4 frame and waiting for the electronics !

Best regards
Gary
Attached is a picture.

Cheshirecat

Hi Ches,

£300 for the flight case £65 for drawing origination and £250 for the insert (+VAT)

I'm not a fan of the QR idea - apart fom getting the crash cage off quicker... I spent a long time getting the props/motors lined up, think the QR system would have an effect on that.

If anyone is interested I could enquire about sourcing some more, as is or modified.

Steve

Hi. Yes i would be interested in looking at that, what are the outside dimensions of the case?, as said i am kinda geared up at the moment for a flat pack down and would be interested to see if there was a way to have the Zenmuse in the case instead of the TX Pair.

Interesting comment about motor alignment, i assume you are refering to the vertical alingment of the motor pairs (props horizontal to the frame and each other and all that) did you find with the DW location pin system that it was off?

Peter

Zaidy

Hi Steve,

Would you mind posting the link to the company that supplied the flight case/drawings and inserts please ? I have been looking for something similar and came across a company in Manchester but I can not recall the name :shame:. They deal with the music industry!!

Cheers

Zaid

Hi Ches,

Steve

baja-king

Hi Peter,

Flight Case Exterior: 770mm x 770mm x 325mm
LD33 Foam Insert: 715mm x 715mm x 140mm deep

Flight case was from a company called Trifibre http://www.trifibre.co.uk/ although I'm not sure that I would use them again as it took them 3 attempts to get it right...

Foam insert was from a local company to me in South Wales. I left the SkyJib with them for a week so that they could create an accurate drawing.

Steve

Hi. Yes i would be interested in looking at that, what are the outside dimensions of the case?, as said i am kinda geared up at the moment for a flat pack down and would be interested to see if there was a way to have the Zenmuse in the case instead of the TX Pair.

Interesting comment about motor alignment, i assume you are refering to the vertical alingment of the motor pairs (props horizontal to the frame and each other and all that) did you find with the DW location pin system that it was off?

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

baja-king

In answer to your question about motor alignment, yes I found that they were out and needed to 'Lock' them into the right position with the aid of the boom clamps

baja-king

Attachments

• panasonic-G4-GH-4k-lede.jpg
    panasonic-G4-GH-4k-lede.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 477
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 516

Cheshirecat

Hi Steve.
i apperciate you taking the time to supply the dimensions. I will look at that to see how practical it is for me.

Thanks

Peter

Cheshirecat

I will check mine, i have been happy with how smmothly it flies but i guess the major impact of misalignment would be on efficiency.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If it were to have a global shutter that would be awesome but I guess it probably won't

baja-king

Loaded the new mac software for WK-m today and loaded 5.26 firmware (have been on 5.20 until today) 6 flights absolutely locked in with GPS mode, the best it has ever been :tennis: Tested go home and failsafe all ok...

garyl

Loaded the new mac software for WK-m today and loaded 5.26 firmware (have been on 5.20 until today) 6 flights absolutely locked in with GPS mode, the best it has ever been :tennis: Tested go home and failsafe all ok...
Hi Steve,
I notice you have wood prop on one rig and CF on other. What are the advantages of one or the other? Are wood less dangerous if they touch somebody? I have CF but i must say they worry me a little! thanks. Gary

baja-king

Hi Gary,
I personally think the Tiger CF ones are better. In my experience the Xoars are ok when perfectly balanced but I still prefer the Tigers.

As to safety wood or carbon, both can be lethal. There may even be an argument that would suggest the CF would do less damage in a power down situation due to less energy stored in the blade. That said both in a powered situation would inflict serious damage.

You only need to look at the helicopter safety section on the Helifreak forum to see the results of blade strikes - quiet sobering viewing.

This is why in the UK those of us that fly commercially have very defined safety procedures and limits on flying in proximity to members of the public, as well as having compulsory public liability insurance.

Fly Safe

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garyl

Thank you Steve. Every time I take off I think of what harm she could do so I won't go and see that forum otherwise I probably won't fly again ! I saw a video somewhere of Droid experimenting prop guards. It probably wouldn't be a bad thing ! Here the regulations are very tight too as my X4 will never be able to fly in town as we are limited to
2kg without a parachute and 4kg with a parachute in Town. We also have to secure an area of 30m around the take off spot ! Still she is flying well and I must say I always
fly her on my own usually or with 1 other person! Fly safe Gary

danproud

I have a question for the guys here with a Skyjib X4...

I'm flying a SJX4 (T- Motor 4014/11, 15x5 Tiger props, 40A ESC, A2) I started out with the Av200 carrying a 5D, and am looking to upgrade to the movi M5. The droidworx website says the max payload for that setup is 2.5 Kg. If I go for a movi, payload would be more like 3.5kg with all up weight nearing 10.5kg. Emailed Craig at DW, he thinks I'd need a motor upgrade to something like U5.

Does anyone think the craft would fly ok at 10 to 11kgs total? Or should I really be installing more powerful motors?

dazzab

I have a question for the guys here with a Skyjib X4...

I'm flying a SJX4 (T- Motor 4014/11, 15x5 Tiger props, 40A ESC, A2) I started out with the Av200 carrying a 5D, and am looking to upgrade to the movi M5. The droidworx website says the max payload for that setup is 2.5 Kg. If I go for a movi, payload would be more like 3.5kg with all up weight nearing 10.5kg. Emailed Craig at DW, he thinks I'd need a motor upgrade to something like U5.

Does anyone think the craft would fly ok at 10 to 11kgs total? Or should I really be installing more powerful motors?
I'm flying the same setup with 16" Tiger props (I had 15" on it but they didn't cut it) with a 2.5Kg payload and an AUW of about 8.5Kg - it's just barely coping. Hover rate is quite high at 65-70%. It flies well but everyone tells me it shouldn't. But I have the SkyJib Lite. Regardless, I don't think you would be able to get your setup to fly without larger motors and props.

cbuk

I would say there's absolutely no chance of flying a AUW of 10.5 kg with that set up safely. ecalc predicts a throttle of over 90% just to hover. Even with 16 inch props you're looking at a hover throttle of around 80%. With the 4014-11 motors you'd have to go to at least 17 inch props to be able to lift 10kg+ and then you'll have problems if using the DW retracts - you can just about get away with using 16 inch props with the retracts but I suspect 17 inch would be messy. Definitely think its a case of motor upgrades; whether you go for the more expensive U5 or maybe something like the 3515-15's is your choice and depends how deep your wallet is. ecalc predict a hover throttle of around 60% for both when using 16 inch props.....so it maybe looks like both a motor and prop ugrade :dejection:

My AUW is around 8.8kg and I just about get away with the 4014-11's and 16 inch props. I'll be looking to change the motors when my wallet refills and will probably go for the 3515-15s.

I'm by no means an expert and what I've said is based mainly on ecalc and partly my experience....I certainly wouldn't try lifting 10.5kg even with my current set up. Hope that helps.