New build, are my ESC's or motors broken?

Hello all!
Yesterday I put all the parts to my zmr250 together, but I had the motor orientation swapped on all 4 motors. After reversing the motor leads, I then ran through my CC3D setup wizard. However, once I plugged the battery in two of my motors started smoking. I looked at my solder job for the ESC's and low and behold I probably shorted something. My question is (since the motors don't spin) are the motors broken or the ESC's? I need to figure this out so I can order replacements ;).

Thank you!

So your ESC's were "probably" shorted but it was the motors that smoked? The obvious answer is both but maybe you could plug in a known good ESC into the throttle channel on your receiver and try each motor separately? If you had your motor orientation reversed doesn't that mean that you spun up your motors once already? How did your solder job get shorted?

So your ESC's were "probably" shorted but it was the motors that smoked? The obvious answer is both but maybe you could plug in a known good ESC into the throttle channel on your receiver and try each motor separately? If you had your motor orientation reversed doesn't that mean that you spun up your motors once already? How did your solder job get shorted?

I think I got too excited to get it up in the air... (hastiness never works too well). When I removed the wires to swap directions, I guess I added too much solder and reached some part of the ESC that it shouldn't have. (But no contacts were touching each other, i.e. the metal "bubbles" were separated).
Thank you for your help. I'll try the method you explained and give an update later.
-Nathan

Another thing I forgot to point out is that the ESC's don't have any burn marks.

UPDATE:

I swapped the two good ESC's on the "bad" motors and the motors both spun. I guess I'll have to wait another week for spare ESC's. (lesson learned).

Thanks, John, for your help.

Last edited: