New build AD-4 HL

robvree

I'll put the video together later tonight but I just returned from my lunch time flight to test GPS hold and RTH. Everything went great. In the first RTH the quad landed about 7 feet to the left of the original take off spot. In the second RTH is landed with 2 feet, again to the left. There was a steady breeze coming in from the right, I wonder if that had any effect. I was seeing some whirlpool effect when I would fly forward in GPS mode and then let off the stick. It didn't seem to correct it like it did this morning however for the lunchtime flight I had the dome installed and this morning when I was able to get the whirlpool effect to stop, the dome was off. Maybe the CG settings are very sensitive and adding the dome back was enough to make the CG change. Anyway, I didn't notice much whirlpool on the RTH and once it started to descend, it all went away.

Last edited by a moderator:

AIRCONROB

Nice one Rob, I'm just tiding mine all up to get it ready for the weekend as I've been busy with work:livid: Joys of being selfemployed lol. How have you got your RTH setup? By mixing a switch or switching the TX off.

robvree

Nice one Rob, I'm just tiding mine all up to get it ready for the weekend as I've been busy with work:livid: Joys of being selfemployed lol. How have you got your RTH setup? By mixing a switch or switching the TX off.

Mixing a switch. Turning off the Tx seems too dangerous just for a test. If something goes wrong, all I need to due is flip back the failsafe switch and switch the flight mode to atti which immediately cancels the failsafe.

robvree

Still at work, but here is the video of RTH I took with my cell phone.

robvree

Very impressive Rob, that looks very stable and those lights are bright. Have you got the gimbal working ok?

Thanks man... Yup, the gimbal is all hooked up and working. I'll post the on-board video later tonight when I can get home and pull it off the GoPro. I haven't really put any effort into the gimbal besides getting it hooked up the external BEC and tweaking the settings in the DJI software so it was level. I'm sure I'll get to it soon and I'll have another set of issues, questions, solutions, etc.

robvree

Here is the on-board camera video from 2 RTH tests.

Last night I spent some time dialing in the gimbal (my initial settings were WAY OFF) and installed CF props. Think I might have to wait until Sunday to get to fly.

Tomstoy2

View attachment 2561Robvree, that went pretty well indeed!

I haven't tested rth on mine yet, and it don't look like I'll get the chance any time soon. We are getting hammered by a pretty good storm here, and it's expected to get worse all thru today.

Attachments

• P2030001.jpg
    P2030001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 349

AIRCONROB

Here is the on-board camera video from 2 RTH tests.

Last night I spent some time dialing in the gimbal (my initial settings were WAY OFF) and installed CF props. Think I might have to wait until Sunday to get to fly.

Rob, that is stunning mate nice shooting, I've noticed you are using the Hero 2, what settings have you got it set on its just that mine shows that horrible fish eye.

AIRCONROB

Well I finally got the rig wiring all done last night, only the props to put on and then for the final dialing in. I ended up putting the GPS on a plate I made to stand off outside as far from the rest of the electrics to try and save any problems.
View attachment 2580View attachment 2581View attachment 2582View attachment 2583View attachment 2584
In the morning just got to tint the canopy, and then wait for some decent weather, otherwise its getting tested in the living room so long i dont take out another plasma lol.

Attachments

• 2012-02-05 01.29.12.jpg
    2012-02-05 01.29.12.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 2012-02-04 01.48.54.jpg
    2012-02-04 01.48.54.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 2012-02-05 01.30.02.jpg
    2012-02-05 01.30.02.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 2012-02-05 01.31.07.jpg
    2012-02-05 01.31.07.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 2012-02-05 01.32.37.jpg
    2012-02-05 01.32.37.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 287

robvree

Well I finally got the rig wiring all done last night, only the props to put on and then for the final dialing in. I ended up putting the GPS on a plate I made to stand off outside as far from the rest of the electrics to try and save any problems.
View attachment 3870View attachment 3871View attachment 3872View attachment 3873View attachment 3874
In the morning just got to tint the canopy, and then wait for some decent weather, otherwise its getting tested in the living room so long i dont take out another plasma lol.

Seriously?? Wow! I thought I made a clean build. That is a thing of beauty. Amazing job Rob. Can't wait to see it fly.

I'll get you that night video soon.

Where did you get those flood lights? Love them!

Cheers!
Rob

robvree

Just a quick note of some the changes I made and their effects:

1) Switched out the APC 12x3.8 props with Aerobot 12x3.8 Carbon Fiber props
- ESC's are running about 10-20 degrees cooler
- Less vibration (could be they are balanced more)
- Look really cool
- Stability has increased

2) Started running 2 x 6200mah 4S batteries in parallel
- AUW now 3515 grams
- Flight time (until first low voltage warning) went from 9 minutes to 15 minutes. I then have about 2 minutes before final warning.

3) Balanced the motors
- 3 of the motors were balanced really well from the factory
- 1 motor I balanced with a small piece of tape. It's much better but doesn't match the balance of the other 3. I'm wondering if the balance of the prop adapter is off and not the motor itself.
- Noticeably less vibration

AIRCONROB

Attachments

• 2012-02-05 19.08.42.jpg
    2012-02-05 19.08.42.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 2012-02-05 19.09.21.jpg
    2012-02-05 19.09.21.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 2012-02-05 19.10.07.jpg
    2012-02-05 19.10.07.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 264

AIRCONROB

Hi Steve, They are, [h=1]Flexible RGB Strip Lighting Kit[/h]From Maplin only £29.99 The only thing you have to do is take the board out of the huge box, stick your wires on and heat shrink it all. That makes it smaller than a match box.

Cheers

Rob

robvree

Hey Rob, have you tried your Lights out at night yet? Canopy complete, not aswell as a axpected but it will do, I just want to get it up in the air now.
Mybe we can get started with Club Quadworx, a little teeza for you mate.

I'm not worthy... I'm not worthy... :highly_amused:

Maybe I missed the part about you creating a full on light show. That is freaking awesome Rob. Good job. The floods and ground lights are my favorite. You need to collect all the articles about the increase of UFO sightings in Cheshire once you get it airborne.

Now I have to ask, did anyone see you running around your dark house, "flying" your quad? LOL!

I took mine to the park today with my kids and old friend who happen to stop by. I ran through 4 packs just flying it all over the place. It was great to not think about gains, tuning, weight or settings... Just fly it! Man can she fly fast in atti mode. I was doing speed runs the length of the park and while I have nothing to actually calculate the speed, to me it seemed about 40 mph. I could be way off but my quad was seriously cooking some speed. I actually found GPS mode a bit boring and tame. Its almost like in GPS mode it is constantly fighting you to lock a position and stay there. The one time GPS mode was really great was when I totally lost orientation while looking right into the sun and the quad was way out there. My quick reaction was to flip it into GPS mode and get off the sticks. I then wiggled the pitch and roll and determined my orientation and buzzed on back at full speed. Next time I'll just flip the failsafe switch.

It was a good weekend.

AIRCONROB

Thanks for the comments, talking about UFO sightings, when i got my Flame 450 and just test flew it in the garden it was dark as i wanted to see how the lights worked, within half an hour had a knock on the door by the feds asking me if i'd seen any anusual objects flying around the gardens. Well I don't know how i kept a straight face but i did, the neighbour 4 doors away is about 70 reported it as it nearly scared her to death. Upto this day she doesn't know it was me lol.

And yes I was tip toeing around the house just testing the floods to see how and if the camera sees enough. Believe me if i kicked her up, the wife would of pasted me lol.

I read you have had a good weeked, it must feel really good not having to worry about any setting and tuning and enjoying the flying. I'm glad it's all worked out for you mate, and hope it flows for me too.

Can't wait to get it up in the air now, when we get a good day here in UK.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Rob

Tomstoy2

That makes me laugh!

A friend of mine was testing his heli in the back yard and the wind grabbed it. By the time he hit throttle hold it had landed across the fence in a neighbors back yard.
He went back inside, put stuff away, left out the front door and by the short time it took to get to the neighbors house, the cops were there taking a report from this 80 year old woman that a ufo had crashed in her back yard!
He said the cops gave him a pretty hard stare as he explained the situation, picked up his heli and walked away!!!!