Need help getting a Tarot T2D gimbal controller to talk to its software

I posted in the electronics thread but didn't really get much response.

I got a Phantom FC40 with a Tarot gimbal for a Gopro Hero 3 off a guy on Craigslist. The gimbal worked fine when he demonstrated it and then the other day when i flew it.

I don't know what happened but now when I power the gimbal on, the LED lights solid red, blinks green two or three times, and then stays solid red. Nothing happens with the gimbal.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the cable going from the square box on the camera bracket, and nothing happened. I powered everything off, unplugged and replaced, and tried again - nothing. I powered off, unplugged all cables, replugged them, and powered back on. Nothing.

I did some digging and found this link with a manual and some troubleshooting info: http://www.dronevibes.com/forums/th...mbal-users-manual-attached.18902/#post-163358

I can open the COM port, but it keeps the status at "COM port open successfully, please connect ZYX-BMGC". The USB interface cable is connected to the gimbal controller connector on the board. It's bent upwards a little, but it looks intact as far as I can tell. When I connect the battery power to the Phantom, the LED for the gimbal comes on, does the blink code, and stays red. Repeated power off/ons don't change anything.

I tried connecting to the motor driver connector, go into Motor Configuration, open the COM port, then power on. It shows "Motor parameters updated!" and the signal monitor shows 12.026v voltage, .008a current. Rolling motor polar # is 14, power 60, tilting motor polar # is 14 and power 35.

It looks like it can see the motor info, but if I try to update the firmware to 1.5 (it's at 1.4) and start the upgrade, it just hangs at "Starting upgrade procedure, please wait" and does nothing.

However: if I select the firmware, start the upgrade, then plug in the USB cable to the board and power on, the firmware upgrade process proceeds successfully.

I calle

I've tried three different computers - one running Windows 8.1, one Win 10, and one Win 7. Different ports on each. Same result every time.

Chalagi

Sounds like something in the software or camera connection. I has that same problem with a DJI Naza and it turned out that I had the connections wrong.

Already tried unplugging everything and replugging it into the correct plugs, based on the pictures shown in the manual linked above. All the plugs are inserted and aligned correctly - notch to key, key to notch.

The plugs are keyed and the ports notched, though. They only go in one way. Key into notch. At least on my setup, that's how they are.

No luck with that - I'd tried on 3.3.2 as well as 3.2.

The USB interface works when I connect it to the motor port without incident - it opens the COM port and gets voltage info for the motors. I can upgrade the firmware but it never seems to register if I disconnect and reconnect.

I even dusted off an old Win 7 machine that I had upstairs. It gets a little further - it seems to show parameters on the gimbal controller and runs the firmware update, and it says that it wrote to firmware successfully, but the issue still persists with the blink code.

I don't wanna throw $40 at this because I don't know how to reconnect a new board to power and the receiver on the Phantom but if I have to, I guess I have to.

Duncan Johnston

In my opinion, that Tarot gimbal is a POS. And I can't emphasize capital letters enough. I had bought a 3DR Iris with gimbal from Amazon some time ago. The Iris was a well-made device; the tarot gimbal a failure. I returned the gimbal to Amazon (full refund) and ordered another. This one worked for a day or two, then also failed. And the trouble-shooting is more trouble than it's worth. I ended up returning Iris and gimbal to Amazon for a refund, because without a functional gimbal, the Iris was useless.

In my opinion, that Tarot gimbal is a POS. And I can't emphasize capital letters enough. I had bought a 3DR Iris with gimbal from Amazon some time ago. The Iris was a well-made device; the tarot gimbal a failure. I returned the gimbal to Amazon (full refund) and ordered another. This one worked for a day or two, then also failed. And the trouble-shooting is more trouble than it's worth. I ended up returning Iris and gimbal to Amazon for a refund, because without a functional gimbal, the Iris was useless.

If I might ask, is there an inexpensive stabilized gimbal for a Hero 3 that would fit a Phantom FC40 that's better than the T2D? I admit I'm a bit burned by my experience and if I'm going to have to drop $40 on just a circuit board, if something's out there for the $100ish range I'd much rather get a known good solution.