Need Guidance Building First Multirotor

expozen

Feeling kind of overwhelmed from reading about all the options and configurations for multirotor and hoping to get a few questions answered:

Objective: Build autonomous multirotor that surveys interior of buildings using OpenCV (Structure from Motion).

Form factor: Octocopter X8.
Size: As small as I can get while still meeting objective.

About X8:
1) Should the lower motors be the same size as the upper motors?
2) Should the lower propellers have a larger pitch than the upper propellers? (I was thinking of using 5" 3-blade, 3.0 pitch on top, 4.5 pitch on bottom)

About Autonomous and Flight Controllers:
I'm assuming that I will need to have a flight controller and separate autonomous controller. I was thinking of using something similar to pandaboard ES connected to a flight controller. The pandaboard would use CMOS sensors to capture images, analyze those images, then tell the flight controller which direction to go to next. I'm having a hard time finding information about how the pandaboard (or something similar) is connected and communicates with the flight controller.

3) How does the panadaboard direct the flight controller where to go? Would it be connected where the receiver is normal connected, or a different serial or COM port?
4) How does the panadaboard ask the flight controller for information like GPS position and heading?
5) What would be a good choice of flight controller for a setup like this?

Last edited by a moderator: