Need camera reccomendations

Vermiform

I am at a crossroad right now and need some serious help. I just registered for a photography class and one of the pre-reqs is a DSLR (or similar) camera. All I am interested in is aerial photography and MORE specifically aerial VIDEO.

All I have flown thus far is a gopro and that is all any of my birds are capable of. I intend to big builder platforms in the very near future and my end game is to fly a GH4 or equivalent. Needless to say, I'm not anywhere near there yet. My funds are also shrinking this month and I'm trying to avoid just buying a GH4.

If I can get away with it for the class, I'm considering a Sony Nex-5 since I see a lot of pilots flying those on medium sized multis.

Are there any more suggestions for a light weight flyable camera that does decent video that could double as my school cam?

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
How about a used GH3...
They are a bargain all over the internet....
NEX5 / 7 are a great for aerials if 1080p will do...
Also a bargain used on internet...

Vermiform

I guess I'm mainly looking for something to learn with that I can further use in my career as a flight cam.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Yes the GH3 and GH4 use the same glass. We use a GH4 for just about everything, and apart for a couple of pixel peepers, we haver never been asked to fly bigger, so why bother... Maybe you can find a good used GH4 ? Also you can fly the 12mm or the 24mm (24-50mm eq 35mm) without any problem.

Cameraj

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV Digital Camera
B&H # SODSCRX1004 MFR # DSC-RX100M4

What do you think about this camera, I wonder if it has video out?

violetwolf

YA I'm really interested in the RX100 Mkllll too CameraJ. Not sure about the video out. And another possible gotcha is the 5 minute record limit in 4k mode... but if you have a remote trigger you can always start/stop in the air so it's not a deal killer. Philip Bloom has a good hands on review with footage up on his site. Here's a link: http://philipbloom.net/blog/rxroadtests/

Another interesting one that may be better suited to the original poster (getting back on topic lol) is the soon to be released RX10 which is more in the DSLR category with swapable lenses etc. http://philipbloom.net/blog/sonydeclareswar/

I'm flying a Canon 5D but as Sony keeps making lighter and better cameras I'm thinking of making the switch, or at least building a smaller second machine to fly something like these.

EDIT My bad the Sony RX10 does NOT have swappable lens

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Sorry it took so long to reply.... I have not been here since posting before..
I was focused on BUDGET as this seemed to be what you were asking for....
I have bought several cameras on E-bay.... Both my NEX are used E-bay cameras.... They are down to about $150.00 with the 18-55 glass now.
A great starter camera and risking little when flying...
The GH3 are a bargain also in the $500.00 range... then add glass.... still a much cheaper start than a $1600.00 GH4 if it has what you need.

Vermiform

Sorry it took so long to reply.... I have not been here since posting before..
I was focused on BUDGET as this seemed to be what you were asking for....
I have bought several cameras on E-bay.... Both my NEX are used E-bay cameras.... They are down to about $150.00 with the 18-55 glass now.
A great starter camera and risking little when flying...
The GH3 are a bargain also in the $500.00 range... then add glass.... still a much cheaper start than a $1600.00 GH4 if it has what you need.

Nothing wrong with being focused on budget. I honestly don't know what to focus on right now.

In the end I want to end up with something flyable that I can add to my fleet. It seems the folks flying a nex (and gimbal) are doing it with noticeably smaller birds than with a GH4. That's what put the nex on my radar.

violetwolf

All very good replies. I'm learning too. I didn't realize that we can get NEX's that cheap for instance. A very crashable price indeed! thanks for the tip Hexa.

I'd like to toss out another option for a budding filmmaker would be the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera.

OH and a revision to my post about the Sony RX 10. It does NOT have swappable lens.. It is a fixed lens (but a good one)... my bad

Vermiform

Doesn't look like either the Nex-5 or Nex-7 will output to a Connex without including an overlay in the image (camera controls, etc). Any other lightweight contenders other than GH3 & 4?