Need an acronym

Nola26

My police department just got a grant to build a multirotor. Since myself and another guy already have our own, we were given the task of building it. We went with the S900 with A2 and Lightbridge. Now we have flown it a few times to test it out and so far so good. We are using the S900 for search and rescue operations only. The S900 is equipped with a FLIR camera. The craft will not be used for regular patrol and it will not spy in windows. We are going to be out in the open that we have it and what its used for. But with the negative perception of police agencies having "drones", I am looking for a cleaver acronym for what we can all it. Calling it a UAS or UAV or Drone, already put a negative thought in peoples head. They think of a military type of predator drone. So I need some ideas please.....

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Actually I would argue that drone is not still a word that makes people think military. People now know what drones are in the civil sense but have no idea what an RPAS or SARH is etc etc. Just call it a rescue drone. Does what it says on the tin.

Old Man

Use of the word "drone" brings immediate connotations of a missile firing remote control aircarft flying the skies of Afghanistan. In reality a drone is a target. I agree with the officer. If you have to have something that implies remotely piloted use RPV for remotely piloted vehicle. If people still look at you squinty eyed in inquiry then, and only then briefly mention the word drone.

Nola26

I'm in the USA. I have applied for the FAA government permit. They issue permits to local and state government agencies for this type of craft and mission statement. It has restrictions as far as airports and line of sight flying etc. Honestly though, I wouldn't really care if they didn't give me a permit. I am not within 5 miles of an airport and we will always fly line of sight. The victim's life we are trying to save is more important to me than some government permit that says I can save that life. The way we look at it, its better to save the person now and deal with the FAA later. There is a saying among cops, It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old Man

I was aware of the special COA's granted law enforcement but not aware some of you folks view lives, safety, and over regulation the same way we do. Logic wins out at times after all. Nice to see that we all believe that lives are more important that outdated regulations. Keep up the good work! BTW, some of us share the same sentiment with that saying.

Nola26

Yeah its insane to me that the feds would deny us the permit to conduct a search of an area for a missing child or something because of some bureaucratic rule.