NAZA V2 & RCX ESC 40A HV ... strange behaviour in attitude / GPS modeddd

sscherrer

Hi

Just completed a new 550 build (3d Printed). I have used brand new Naza V2, 4 RCX ESC 40A from myrcmart (http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-40ahv-h...d-for-multicopter-simonk-firmware-p-6442.html) , 4 motors (http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-be28149...ticopter-free-mounts-high-quality-p-6488.html)

Problem :
- In Manual mode, throttle variation drive a direct variation of speed, as expected and from 0% to 100% in a linear manner. All motors are in sync.

- In attitude or GPS, motor speed variation is not linear to throttle variation and kind of questionable... if I compare to my other hovership...
- Starting at throttle 0%...
- Initiate the motor and they turn at contsant idle speed... until I reach 50% throttle
- at 50% throttlle, the speed increase in an important gap... after which variation become linear with thgrottle variation...
- now the main problem is when reducing throttle... all fine until I reach 50%... but then below 50% the motors do not reduce speed at all. I can be 40,30,20,10% at throttlle the speed does not reduce.

I have not calibrated the esc (i used similar RCX even if smaller with a Naza M lite and had no issue) . So it may be an option.

My understanding is that at 50%, the quad shiouzld be hovering and keeping same altitude... so how do you land.,,. if reducing throttle does not reduce speed of motors...

just to add :
- I had a already a first crash due to a fly away... which indicated something strange,,, I had left the BEC on ESC back to DJI (my error). I basically stayed on ground until 50% and then it went at a very high speed, porjecting itse.f in the air... no choice than going back to manual as reducing throtttle would make no difference,. I manual I managed to get it back and crashed... as it was really tensed...
- Once again in manual I hear variation proper all along and this behave like my other quad in attitude mode.
- My other quad does not behave like this in attitude and whilst 50% keeps it hovering I can reduce throttle below 50% and speed reduces

So I am suspecting a compatibility issue between components or perhaps the calibration.. but then manual would not work ?

IDEAS WELCONE

FlyGirl

I think part of what you are experiencing is just typical behavior for a V2. I too moved from a Lite to a V2 controller and lifting off is different than with a Lite which is much more linear. The V2 jumps into the air compared to the Lite as the V2 has an assisted lift off routine that the Lite does not have. I wish I could speak to the other issue when trying to land but I can't. I would normally say it has something to do with the programming of the ESC but I see they come with SimonK firmware which usually you don't have to mess with.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you could list all the parts you are suing that might help.

Once you go past 50% and then take off the throttle will then reduce when you drop below 50% on the stick just like on the Lite.

Pete

sscherrer

Hi Pete

Most of parts are listed in original post I believe :
- FC: Naza V2 - latest fw
- 4 RSC : RCX 40A from myrcmart (http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-40ahv-hi...re-p-6442.html)
- 4 motors : (http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-be28149-...ty-p-6488.html)
then
- All rests 3d printe from thingiverse Forumla 550 http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:272268
- Battery is a 3s Lipo 2200mh for test at his stage: I plan using a 8000 3s2p
- Tx/Rx is Futaba T10J with original Rx SBUS2

I understand now that the take off after 50% behaviour is normal. This is good and reassuring. I am left with undertanding why after take off, throttle below 50% keeps speed constant.
Since I am on bench for test, pehaps Naza detects it.

If you could list all the parts you are suing that might help.

Once you go past 50% and then take off the throttle will then reduce when you drop below 50% on the stick just like on the Lite.

Pete

nsscaver1

I use the Simon K ESCs also but it was my understanding that you still have to set the throttle end points as usual for your transmitter on each ESC. Also does the Naza software show the throttle position dropping below 50% while in GPS and attitude mode? If the throttle range is changing correcting in the Naza software then I would try resetting the throttle end points on the ESCs and then rebind. Good luck. Bill

FlyGirl

I use the Simon K ESCs also but it was my understanding that you still have to set the throttle end points as usual for your transmitter on each ESC. Also does the Naza software show the throttle position dropping below 50% while in GPS and attitude mode? If the throttle range is changing correcting in the Naza software then I would try resetting the throttle end points on the ESCs and then rebind. Good luck. Bill

Hmmmm Bill.... I have never set anything on my ESC's with SimonK. DJI Optos on one and Afro ESC's on all the others. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? ;)

sscherrer

All,

Thanks I believe it actually works as designed and no need to recalibrate. After the first explanation on the assisted take off... I tried again this morning AND...
- Once you pass the 50% mark, if you do no increase sufficiently, the motor speed will not reduce below 50% throttle.. because it ' already close to idle...
- If I increase throttle more andlonger and motors have time to take more speed THEN and ONLY ThEN I can actually see a linear throttle / speed variation below 50% and down to idle (0%) .I am finally able to set a 20% above idle in this case and expect a proper descent..

I was only staying around 60-70% and not long enough. The NAZA seems to react differently blw 50% once you have reached that certain motor speed or throttle position (70-75%?)
A bit stupid of me , but considering my first issue with this one, I was getting overly concerned .

This means then that if you leave BEC from ESC on a NAZA you are taking a SERIOUS risk of fly away cause at 50% throttle mine jumped in the air .. and no way I could reduce throtle when it occured !!! I believe the BEC confused the NAZA V2 on the speed at 50%. It was running like a full throttle almost...

PS : Gains are not adjusted yet and may need to play with idle speed... I am reasured to see a normal behaviour back!

sscherrer

Manual works perfect and considering each motor are well in sync... don't believe the throttle needed adjustment. I know notice says it...but it's not SimonK
Yes all looks fin in GPS and Atti and obvisouly it sees it at30%...check my finding... quite strange but all ok now.

nsscaver1

Hmmmm Bill.... I have never set anything on my ESC's with SimonK. DJI Optos on one and Afro ESC's on all the others. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi Flygirl,
I did some Google searches about setting the throttle limits on the SimonK ESCs, because I have been wrong(Gulp....!) before and I wasn't 100% sure. Several different sites do recommend setting the throttle limits even on SimonK ESCs. I've always done it anyway out of habit since my copter days. Guess we're all lucky sometimes and with Naza's self leveling it probably isn't as critical as with copters. Geeze, isn't this a fun, baffling, WTH kinda hobby!!!!!
Later, Bill

sscherrer

Hello all

So... I took all my courage and went out for a flight test. Fortunately it did not do like first time, however, really have an issue with the speed control.

in ATTITUDE Mode, CSC, then 50% throttle. Quad is at ground. I push a little bit, it takes off... so far so good, but then after is a nightmare. If I increase throttle a little bit, the motors speed do increase but no linear. Basically when I set throttle to new position it takes several second for the speed to reach and stabilize itself. But by the time it does the quad would be high... very very strange... and I suspect more and more sthing is incorrect or inompatible. The quad gently bounce up and down in smooth movement. I started adjusting the atitude gains to max, but behaviour is not sane. Best illutration would be you try to accelerate coming on motorway and it takes ages to reach your target speed... Would have tought motors and ESC and Naza V2 would work nicely together. A bit disappointed tonigth...

FlyGirl

Hmmmm Bill.... I have never set anything on my ESC's with SimonK. DJI Optos on one and Afro ESC's on all the others. Maybe I've just gotten lucky? ;)

Hi Flygirl,
I did some Google searches about setting the throttle limits on the SimonK ESCs, because I have been wrong(Gulp....!) before and I wasn't 100% sure. Several different sites do recommend setting the throttle limits even on SimonK ESCs. I've always done it anyway out of habit since my copter days. Guess we're all lucky sometimes and with Naza's self leveling it probably isn't as critical as with copters. Geeze, isn't this a fun, baffling, WTH kinda hobby!!!!!
Later, Bill[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Bill!! LOL!!!

FlyGirl

Hello all

So... I took all my courage and went out for a flight test. Fortunately it did not do like first time, however, really have an issue with the speed control.

in ATTITUDE Mode, CSC, then 50% throttle. Quad is at ground. I push a little bit, it takes off... so far so good, but then after is a nightmare. If I increase throttle a little bit, the motors speed do increase but no linear. Basically when I set throttle to new position it takes several second for the speed to reach and stabilize itself. But by the time it does the quad would be high... very very strange... and I suspect more and more sthing is incorrect or inompatible. The quad gently bounce up and down in smooth movement. I started adjusting the atitude gains to max, but behaviour is not sane. Best illutration would be you try to accelerate coming on motorway and it takes ages to reach your target speed... Would have tought motors and ESC and Naza V2 would work nicely together. A bit disappointed tonigth...

I can imagine... I'd be disappointed too... :( Something is screwy somewhere it sounds like... Any chance you could post a video of it??

sscherrer

I can imagine... I'd be disappointed too... :( Something is screwy somewhere it sounds like... Any chance you could post a video of it??

Ok so went out yesterday with another guy who has a 450. We flew mine (so to speak...) it does stay stable at 1cran above 50% and v2 is working as designed, but 1 cran above and it starts jumping in the air. It can descend as well, wich is reassuring. So essentially too powerfull and sensitive to throttle, but contrary to what I said, it can hover without issues and decend back.
So
0-50% idle speed
1 cran above it takes off
1 cran above it JUMPS IN THE AIR quickly

On his 450, the vertical ascension was very smooth and controllable. Not here. Getting back with some confidence. but a tough ride

I put 10 inch prop, he suggested 9 or 8... so see.
I have not touched the vertical gains yet.