Naza v2- How to autonomous flight?

Hey all.

Quick question (which has likely been asked before):
On an f450 w/ Naza v2 + GPS, how can I use GS for autonomous flight?

Will it simply work if I simply buy the ~$60 btu unit and connect to the iPad to program waypoints etc?
Or do I need to get the $200+ data link for continuous connection to the iPad?

Seems silly if it's the latter...

Thanks!
Chris

dazzab

Ugh... still $260 all in.

Is this built-in w/ apm + gps + mission planner?
Yes, although you need to have the telemetry radio as well. If you are considering buying an APM consider the Pixhawk instead. It doesn't cost much more and has more processing power and memory.

Yes, although you need to have the telemetry radio as well. If you are considering buying an APM consider the Pixhawk instead. It doesn't cost much more and has more processing power and memory.

Oh man... now you have me really confused....

So, either way, with Naza or APM, I must have a continuous data connection to my Ground Station or Mission Planner with either Data Link or Telemetry Radio?

So, I cant simply program a flight plan to the flight controller (wired or wireless, perhaps a laptop in the field and USB) and tell it to 'Go!'.

Or is the continuous data comm me being prudent and knowing what the quad is doing at all times?

If someone can point me to a Waypoint Flying 101 link id greatly appreciate it!
Looks like I have a bit of homework before I go off and start buying pieces....

BTW my tx is a Taranis.

Thanks!
Chris

dazzab

So, I cant simply program a flight plan to the flight controller (wired or wireless, perhaps a laptop in the field and USB) and tell it to 'Go!'.

Yes, you can connect with a USB cable set up the mission and upload it to the APM/Pixhawk. Then when you swich to mode 'Auto' with your Tx it will fly the mission.

Or is the continuous data comm me being prudent and knowing what the quad is doing at all times?

Yes, that's the idea. You'll get a real time display of the flight path and all parameters. Plus you get logs both on the ground control station and the flight controller. If the copter goes missing you will know it's last reported location as one example. You can also control the copter from the ground station if something happens to your Tx.

The 3DR radio set is $100 but well worth the investment IMHO. It's much easier to communicate with the APM/Pixhawk with it. Make sure you select the correct frequency for your location if you purchase one.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Chris,
You need the btu + data link kit.....Works well though.
Oh, that's what the data link kit is for. I guessed the range of ordinary bluetooth is bit to short for flight operations. But how do you hook it up to an iPad mini for example?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Bluetooth is just from BTU to Ipad.
According to http://www.dji.com/product/btu the maximal communication distance is 50 meters (end even that is a strech for ordinary BT).

I understand that the BTU normally is mounted on the airframe, but after some digging I now see that with the data link kit, the BTU is on the ground connected to the datalink receiver.

J.T.

Spiralling out of control
Yes, that's it.
I understand that the BTU normally is mounted on the airframe, but after some digging I now see that with the data link kit, the BTU is on the ground connected to the datalink receiver.

Yes, that's it.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Does that mean it is possible to fly with the data-link only, ie no receiver/transmitter?

J.T.

I quite often fly a full auto mission including take-off then fly a survey grid, than a press on the GS app to RTH and land, but you must have the TX/RX to take control if needed.

Wait. What?
So... With a Naza & btu (w/o the datalink) you can plot your flight with the GS and let it go?

Presumably after its out of Bluetooth range you loose telemetry but the quad still goes on with the mission?

Can you use the radio tx to flip a switch to override autonomous flight and take it control over it?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
It looks like the tablet at the ground station can be connected with USB as well. Or is it just the PC Ground Station that can use USB?

J.T.

Yes, USB plug is for the rather clunky PC ground station software I think. iOS software is much easier to use imo.