NAZA Startup LED Meanings - Explained

I'm not familiar with the turnigy but I'm assuming you have bound the receiver to the transmitter. The next step would be to connect to the naza assistant and go from there.

mazz2000

Applies to Naza V2 only, other boards may vary.

A lot of people have been confused by the dozens of LED combinations which appear when you start-up your Naza. Some of these are very vaguely explained in the manual, if at all.
That's why I'm making this thread - to help people understand what they all mean.

First things first, I will refer to the colors as follows: Red = "R", Green = "G", Yellow = "Y".

Right, on connecting power to the quad you should see R G Y R G Y R G Y G G G G. This is the standard pre flight check, basically just checking there aren't any wild values in the IMU, Compass and Power sensors etc.

After this, if all is well and depending on what flight mode you're in, you will continuously get two flashes of the corresponding flight mode followed by the GPS signal status.
Flight Modes:
ATTitude = Y Y
GPS = G G
Manual = No LED Flash, but who uses this mode, right?
GPS signal status:
Bad/No signal = R R R
Medium signal = R R
Good-ish signal = R
Good/excellent signal = No LED Flash

So, for example, if you're like me and leave the Naza in GPS mode 99% of the time then you'll no doubt be used to the G G R R R flash it gives you repeatedly, with the red flashes gradually getting less and less signalling more satellites are being acquired.

Now, this is the part a lot of people ignore or don't even know about, but it's very important and you should always wait for these signals:

Once the Naza has a decent GPS signal (usually after 10-20 seconds) you will see a multiple row of green flashes: G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G. This signals that the Naza has recorded it's "Home Position" (for failsafe and RTH). If you want one word of advise: don't ever fly your quad until you see this long row of green flashes as your failsafe WILL NOT WORK unless it has recorded the home position.

Then, only if you have IOC enabled, then you will get another set of green flashes about 5 seconds after the first set: G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G, this is to tell you the Naza has recorded it's "Forward Position", in other words it's recorded which way it's facing via the compass. The Naza only needs to record this information if you have enabled IOC in the Naza assistant software and use "Home Lock" or "Course Lock" modes. If you do not use or have not enabled IOC via the Naza assistant software then you WILL NOT GET THIS SECOND LOT OF GREEN FLASHES, EVER.

After you've seen either one or two rows of green flashes then you're all set to fly and the LED will revert to displaying Flight mode/GPS signal.
For example my start-up procedure is as follows:
Connect power
R G Y R G Y R G Y G G G G (Self check OK!)
G G R R R (GPS Mode, Bad Signal)
G G R R R (GPS Mode, Bad Signal)
G G R R (GPS Mode, Medium Signal)
G G R (GPS Mode, Good-ish Signal)
G G(GPS Mode, Good Signal)
G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G (Home position recorded for Failsafe)
G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G (Forward position recorded for IOC)
By this point I'm 20 feet in the air.

Hope this helps people.

Hi This info has been very helpful, the way it has been laid out, makes it easy to follow. I have just purchased a Naza m V2 so still trying to get to grips with the set up process. It looks like my Naza is work as per the description above. The issue I have. once the above sequence has been completed, the motor still will not arm. After going this this sequence I then force a compass calibration, the motors will the arm and turn as they should. If I switch every thing off. then back on again I still cannot get the motor to arm until I force another compass calibration. Could any one suggest what I;am doing wrong

Alwil

Did you run the V2 Assistant software? Did you calibrate your sticks as per the software?
Did you set up the failsafe as per the software? Did you do an advanced calibration?
Excuse me for asking these questions, but you haven't given much info about the
copter.

Last edited by a moderator: