Naza RTH

manoktot

Hi all, wanted to quickly ask - When the failsafe activates on the naza by loosing signal on radio control, is a quad supposed to do a complete 180 in the air and fly back to home at speed?

Reason I asked is, I FPV'd for the first time yesterday and while I was at already quite some distance flying away very slowly forward as I was testing the range of FPV, the quad suddenly stopped dead in the air, hovered for a few seconds, then did a complete 180 turnaround and flew back at a faster rate than I was flying it. I was just watching helplessly on the monitor and awestruck at was happening. Then after a mind-numbing couple of seconds, it struck me - "it's in failsafe and it's going back home". When it approximately got to the spot that it took off, it stopped in the air and hovered for awhile, and started to descend, to at which point, I flipped the switch back to atti. and took control and landed it manually because landing by itself might cause me too much excitement for a day and wet my pants :)

I thought when the failsafe kicks in, regardless of whether the quad is facing away from you or sideways or otherwise, it will just sit there and start flying back to the takeoff point in the same orientation it was already in when the failsafe kicks in, and not to a complete about-face before flying back. Is that the correct behavior? And whoever said that the naza can't fly at speed, is dead wrong. I almost sh*t in my pants while watching the monitor and seeing how fast it was flying back to home position :)

Last edited by a moderator:

manoktot

That's good to hear. I thought it wasn't the normal behavior. I am using 2.4 Futaba 12FG, fpv is 1.3ghz. Not sure how far out unfortunately, as I don't have OSD yet. But thank you for letting me know that the 180 turnaround is normal. Took me by surprise :)