Naza RTH Crash

Hi, I have Dji 450 with naza and GPS. I was trying the FailSafe and when I flipped the switch and it went on a straight angle to the ground and took a hard crash and the props continued to try to spin while it was upside down. It was ugly. Why would this have happened?? I had just calibrated the compass successfully too! My Devo 10 controller shows only 5% throttle when I flip to failsafe but when I go into its menu, it shows the failsafe endpoint is 40%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Has anyone ever had this issue? I just now realized one of my motors is smoked because the propellors were continuing to spin while the quad was crashed upside down.

hjls3

when you calibrated was the bird close to anything that would interfere, like cars, buildings, watch on your wrist, cell in your pocket, radio etc...?

glacier51

Ryan:

Sorry to hear about your crash.

A few things:
- You said you flipped the "switch", so was this a switched failsafe or did you turn your TX off?
- Does the DEVO 10 have a way to do a pre-set failsafe? If so, how was it set up? (I fly a DX8 so I know jack about a DEVO)
- Does Assistant show the U slider moving into a failsafe position when you switch to failsafe or turn off the DEVO?
- How is your 3 position flight mode and the RTH/failsafe switch set up?
- Did you have a solid GPS position lock - single slow flashing green LED, when you triggerd RTH?

hjls3

Yes I suppose I had my phone, and the pickup and garage was close by. I had read that but I did not realize why it was...

Yeah sorry about the crash Ryan - not sure of exactly your situation but I can tell you I had a very unfortunate costly accident due to calibrating to close to a computer. Now when I do the NAZA/WKM dance, i make sure to do it in the middle of nowhere, with no watch and nothing in my pockets. WEird part was how it behaved. It was obvious something was wrong but then all the sudden kaboom - really wrong. Not that it was in the air that long after calibration. But basically anything that can interfere can cause really strange awful things to happen.

I flipped the switch to Failsafe, I did not turn the controller off. Not sure on the answer to your second question. Yes, Naza assistant does show the U slider moving into the failsafe position when I make the switch. I did have a solid GPS lock at the time. I am hoping calibration error is the issue. I just figured if after the calibration was complete, and the LED light turned solid green, that meant things were all set...

I just figured if after the calibration was complete, and the LED light turned solid green, that meant things were all set...

Hey Ryanebraska,
I believe that the light on the VU goes "out" when it's calibrated correctly.

When you first flip the 3 position switch to get into calibration mode, the light turns yellow. After your first rotation with the MR 'level' it turns green. You are then supposed to point the nose of the MR towards the ground and repeat the rotation. If all goes well, the light goes out - if not, it flashes Red and you should repeat until the light goes out. This is following the steps outlined on page 32 of the Naza manual v2.6.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm sorry but this whole RTH crash thing is unacceptable. Why does the compass have the authority to crash a heli like this? gyro=angle, accelerometer=rate, gps=position, barometer=altitude, compass=heading. If you take heading out of the equation why would the heli dive into the earth??? Makes no sense. Being around a metal object might make the calibration slightly inaccurate but enough to do this is hard to believe. I say it's the crappy devo radios as this is the second or third time I have heard issues with this radio this year. It could also be faulty gear, not having the failsafe setup or saved properly or ???. There are simply to many RTH errors.

While DJI is clearly able to get on here to advertise their new plastic junk, they never chime in to help or answer these issues. Yet we keep buying their stuff????!!!!!! WTF????

02deuce

Time Warped
While DJI is clearly able to get on here to advertise their new plastic junk, they never chime in to help or answer these issues. Yet we keep buying their stuff????!!!!!! WTF????
LMAO For the record DJI advertise here because it helps pay the bills at Multirotor forums. As with all manufactures the first level of support is the Dealer. And personally I keep buying there stuff because I works flawlessly for me (proper setup and support electronics help).
Ryan I would guess that you problem exist in the setup or radio issues. I seriously doubt it is a compass calibration problem especially if performs properly in GPS mode. Usually when your MR dives to the ground its because the motors have received a signal to loss power, when it dives and an angle its because the center of gravity is off. Hope you can sort out your problem.