Naza rapid ascent with quick red LED

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
The FC is mounted with double sided tape on the bottom, I used the 3M clear 2lb tape. I'll try the zip ties as well.

Ordered a prop balancer. I'll take off the props and see if I have a bent shaft or something as well.

After that, I guess I'll just have to send the FC back. That sucks, if I get to that point.

Yeah, everything looks right but I'd check my balance on my props and my motors. With the props off you can spin the motors and watch from directly above to see if there's any noticeable wobble. Unless your props or motors are causing serious vibrations I'd say it's a faulty Naza controller. The other thing you might want to check is what your failsafe is set to if you're using it. There's a setting in there that says when you lose radio it does a few things, like go up 20M and return home or something like that. It may be a case where your receiver is losing the signal off and on and keeps going in and out of failsafe. Does it do this in manual mode? Make sure you check your switch settings when you have the Naza software open and connected so that when you switch from GPS to attitude to manual it is all correct and not going in and out of a mode etc. If you are on the edge of one of the modes when you move your end point to adjust your switch it could be going in and out of that mode if that makes sense. This is a tough one though...leaning towards a bad Naza which is rare but I've seen once or twice in the last year on these forums. You could try re-flashing your controller or "upgrading the firmware" again to see if maybe it got corrupted. Man...that's a tough one....

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
Manual flies smooth as butter, but for APV it would be nice to have GPS and attitude flying smoothly.

It's not going in to fail safe either. I'm dead center on the modes.

We'll see what balancing the props does, and I'll check the motors for any wobble when I have the props off

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Manual flies smooth as butter, but for APV it would be nice to have GPS and attitude flying smoothly.

It's not going in to fail safe either. I'm dead center on the modes.

We'll see what balancing the props does, and I'll check the motors for any wobble when I have the props off

It's got to be a defective unit then, once you balance the props try it out again and see what happens. GPS and attitude mode are different and rely on the internal barometer I suspect that is defective in your unit.

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
Got a quick flight in this morning. I took the GPS off, and without recalibrating took it out and flew it, which may have been dumb luck on my part. Flew really well, for some odd reason. Without the GPS, though, wouldn't the CG values be crazy? It should have flipped over and landed on its top, but it didn't.

I was watching the motors pretty intently at just below takeoff throttle, and one of them is visibly running more slowly than the others. I shut the engines down and spun the motor manually, it has a slight vibration noise to it and spins fewer rotations with roughly the same force applied, so I'm guessing bearings? I'll look at that when I balance the props, see if I need a new engine or two.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Got a quick flight in this morning. I took the GPS off, and without recalibrating took it out and flew it, which may have been dumb luck on my part. Flew really well, for some odd reason. Without the GPS, though, wouldn't the CG values be crazy? It should have flipped over and landed on its top, but it didn't.

I was watching the motors pretty intently at just below takeoff throttle, and one of them is visibly running more slowly than the others. I shut the engines down and spun the motor manually, it has a slight vibration noise to it and spins fewer rotations with roughly the same force applied, so I'm guessing bearings? I'll look at that when I balance the props, see if I need a new engine or two.

That motor could easily be the problem. Make sure when you spin it that it is not energized, i.e. the battery is disconnected. I had a similar problem occur and I replaced the motor and it was night and day different, it was like I picked up 25% more power.

Removing the GPS wouldn't do anything as the antenna is super light and your MR could easily pick up more weight that than. CG is important for sure but not that critical, it'll take more than that to make it crash. You'd have to overload one of your motors to the point it couldn't pick up that one side and even then you just wouldn't get off the ground. The only time I've seen these flip over is when a motor fails, a prop comes off in flight or the motors aren't configured correctly and you try to take off and it flips over etc.

StarterH

Rotor Junkie
And the correct answer was the props being out of balance. I just remembered that the kit came with 8" props, so I took my 10s off and replaced with the 8s. Thing now flies beautifully, even in the gusty wind I had in the back yard today. Prop balance is KEY! Looking forward to actually learning to fly now :)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
And the correct answer was the props being out of balance. I just remembered that the kit came with 8" props, so I took my 10s off and replaced with the 8s. Thing now flies beautifully, even in the gusty wind I had in the back yard today. Prop balance is KEY! Looking forward to actually learning to fly now :)

Yes sir, if that Naza is vibrating is can't really tell what is going on very well and in manual mode it lets you figure it out so that makes sense. Post some videos soon, glad I could help!

b0nafide

Told ya :)

...I wish my wife could read this and see that I AM right once in a while!