NAZA-M V1 with GPS - Newbie Install Support - HELP!!

dlanglands

I just purchased a slightly used DJI F550 with NAZA-M V1 and GPS. The original owner was flying it with a Spektrum DX6i and took the RX. I purchased a DX8 TX and got an AR8000 RX.

I was on the DJI website and downloaded the latest Assistant Software and drivers. Loaded the software on my PC and it connects to the NAZA with no problem. It said I needed to upgrade firmware to the latest version which I did, version 4.02. One weird thing is that the Software Assistant says NAZA V2 at the top. Not sure that is an issue or not?

I then set the rotor type and tested the motors. All good there.

At this point it all ends... I have a number of issues I am hoping someone can help with:

1) When all four RX channels, X1 and X2 are plugged into the NAZA, no power light shows on the RX. If I unplug any 1 of the 6, power shows up on the RX. What is going on there?? Seems odd that the RX powers up with any 5 but not 6 controls connected.

2) If I leave one of the channels off the RX so that there is power, there is NO control of the RX by the TX. The software assistant shows no throws on any of the switches or controls on the TX at all. Basically no communication. I can't do a calibration as there is nothing happening.

I did bind the TX/RX off the NAZA first to make sure it was clean of any outside influences when I did it just in case.

Really hoping someone can assist with this. Any suggestions? No flying until this one thing is resolved :(

D

dlanglands

Just to add to the previous post...

1) Tried different RX and different TX. Everything binds and with an external servo, it works fine. Both TX tested and working when disconnected from the NAZA. Both RX tested and working when disconnected from the NAZA.

2) When the RX is NOT connected to the NAZA and the TX is turned off, the RX lights go out as expected under normal conditions. The HOLD LED on the RX lights up when the TX comes back on which tells the user how many times the TX and RX lost connection with each other.

3) When the RX is connected to the NAZA, the above situation does not work. When the TX turns off, the RX lights stay on all the time. Not sure if that is normal operation of the NAZA controller.

4) Connections from RX to NAZA are:

R = Rudder
A = Aileron
T = Throttle
E = Elevator

X1 = Aux1 (3 position switch)

Again, hoping someone can lend a hand as I have tried everything except swapping out the NAZA which I don't have the ability to do!

smootheye

I am surprised you had no responses. Did you have any luck getting this fixed?

I basically purchased (used) the exact same setup as you. F550, NAZA-M V1, Spektrum DX8, and AR8000 RX. I am having trouble figuring out how to upgrade NAZA V1 firmware to V2.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I just purchased a slightly used DJI F550 with NAZA-M V1 and GPS. The original owner was flying it with a Spektrum DX6i and took the RX. I purchased a DX8 TX and got an AR8000 RX.

I was on the DJI website and downloaded the latest Assistant Software and drivers. Loaded the software on my PC and it connects to the NAZA with no problem. It said I needed to upgrade firmware to the latest version which I did, version 4.02. One weird thing is that the Software Assistant says NAZA V2 at the top. Not sure that is an issue or not?

I then set the rotor type and tested the motors. All good there.

At this point it all ends... I have a number of issues I am hoping someone can help with:

1) When all four RX channels, X1 and X2 are plugged into the NAZA, no power light shows on the RX. If I unplug any 1 of the 6, power shows up on the RX. What is going on there?? Seems odd that the RX powers up with any 5 but not 6 controls connected.

2) If I leave one of the channels off the RX so that there is power, there is NO control of the RX by the TX. The software assistant shows no throws on any of the switches or controls on the TX at all. Basically no communication. I can't do a calibration as there is nothing happening.

I did bind the TX/RX off the NAZA first to make sure it was clean of any outside influences when I did it just in case.

Really hoping someone can assist with this. Any suggestions? No flying until this one thing is resolved :(

D

do all of your servo wires entering the NAZA or entering your receiver have their ground wires on the same and proper side? it sounds like one wire is reversed somewhere and maybe causing a short?

@dlanglands; where do you live?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
naza assistant is the same for V1 or V2 even though it may be labeled V2 in the software. NAZA Lite has it's own assistant.

IIRC, NAZA V1 and V2 use the same firmware versions. the firmware should be very easy to update in the assistant tab (forgot the label on the tab)

smootheye

Thanks @Bartman. I believe it's the "Upgrade" tab in the assistant. Like I stated earlier, I purchased this used so I've never attempted to use the assistant software until now because I purchased a NZA V2 PMU & iOSD mini so I have to upgrade firmware. I don't know if I am missing something or what.

Should I make sure that my configuration is the same as the one in this link below from the dji wiki?
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M-V2_Instruction_of_V1

...then power up the copter, plug into computer, and open up the assistant?

I've only just started this process and assumed that I could plug the copter into the computer with its current configuration w/o installing the new PMU and do the firmware upgrade, so that's all I've tried so far. Nothing happens and the assistant doesn't even register the copter is connected. I stopped at that point because of time and I assumed that there was something I was missing.

Thanks in advance.

dlanglands

Smooth... I figured it out in the end... The wiring from the receiver to the NAZA were the wrong polarity. I think someone above mentioned to check that which came about a day after I figured it out. Reading the label for the positive, negative and data leads was confusing me so in the end it was my own finger trouble causing it :)!

As for the NAZA upgrade, looks like you figured it out. Make sure you do a good calibration as well and you may have to check it once in a while too. I was having problems and couldn't get the GPS to sync. Had it working at home and when I went to the field nothing. The RX was binding with the TX, but it wouldn't control anything. Then I couldn't get the motors to fire.

When I check the configuration again, I found that the calibration had been totally messed up and the end points for both sticks were short of full throw and the motors wouldn't fire. Did a re-calibration and everything works again. Weird. I have had the hex for months and have flown it a total of about 10 minutes. I wouldn't do this again. The NAZA seems to be a bit finicky and for the price, you can build a lot of smaller quads with NAZE32 boards for example.

If the weather holds, I will be doing my first real flight tomorrow but based on the forecast, I will be waiting another week at least :(...

smootheye

Ha! Ten minutes. I think I've got you beat with about 15-20 minutes of flight time before having to rebuild after a "HARD landing".

I've given up for the night. I'm still @ square 1 on the V2 upgrade process. Having never done it before, I'm still trying to figure out if I have to hook up the new PMU then upgrade or if I can upgrade firmware then implement the new hardware? @Bartman do happen to know?

Last edited by a moderator: