NAZA-M Lite First Flight Problems

RunnerDuck

Super

Its always the most simple mistake that you think you've checked! At least the next chunk of work is fun.

From your screen shots I would quickly look at your volt settings if you want a normal flight time...

3.6 v per cell for s1 and a loss will be around 0.4 or so. I set the second self landing voltage as low as it will go - 9.9. I'd rather wreck a battery over have it self land somewhere unsafe.

Thanks Rotorfreek!

I have a question regarding your comments. I noticed during my first flight that the NAZA led started flashing red at about two minutes in. Typically that would mean "Low Battery" but when I put it on the bench it measured 12.1 which should have been fine.

Would changing the settings as you suggested fix that?

Ken

RunnerDuck

Congrats to @RunnerDuck! In my short time here at multirotorforums this is the fourth time I've seen a thread where the majority of posters were screaming, "check you motor rotation and/or your wiring... you've got something reversed!"

I realize it can be super frustrating but that "ah ha!" moment is just as equally satisfying. Oh yeah, I can relate with the age thing as well (I'm 50-ish). Besides memory issues I have a hell of a time doing close up solder work due to poor up close vision, even when I put my reading glasses on.:(

Thanks Gary I appreciate the comments.

The sad thing is I'm so diligent at labeling things so I don't make mistakes. I just never thought I could have labeled the connectors wrong. I'm 70 but still...

Ken

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Your voltage settings are set way too conservative, that's why you're seeing the warning so soon.

Here's yours from your post: http://multirotorforums.com/attachments/17-advanced-voltage-jpg.22276/

Here's an example of mine:
View attachment 22326

See the difference? As of late I don't really use this feature anymore. I now have a little voltage alarm set up on my quad that tells me when I'm at a preset cell voltage. That and timing (I know my batteries and my machine now. I know I need to start worrying at around 15 min. flight time) are what I depend on.

Attachments

• my_voltage.JPG
    my_voltage.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 426

RunnerDuck

Your voltage settings are set way too conservative, that's why you're seeing the warning so soon.
As of late I don't really use this feature anymore. I now have a little voltage alarm set up on my quad that tells me when I'm at a preset cell voltage. That and timing (I know my batteries and my machine now. I know I need to start worrying at around 15 min. flight time) are what I depend on.

I too have telemetry set up to read my voltages and will get an announcement on my transmitter. That's one of the nice features of my Taranis setup. I think I'll jack the numbers up on the NAZA and then ignore them.

Thanks for the tip! Remember I'm still new to all of this so learning all the time.

RunnerDuck

Gary and anybody else that wants to chime in.

If you noticed in the video of my first successful flight it was moving around quite a bit.

I was flying it in ATTI mode but it really drifted. Part of it was myself "jerking" the controls around but I could not fly "Hands Off".

My question is: What's the best way to dial in my quad. Should I use the trims on my Taranis X9D Plus or some other way in eight the Taranis programming or NAZA programming?

Thanks,

Ken

Hood49

Looks pretty good and stable.
I have always learnt that you should never touch the trim buttons on your radio.
Does it always drift to the same side? If so you should:
  • Calibrate your sticks on your radio
  • Calibrate your sticks in the Naza Assistant
  • Calibrate your ESC
  • Check the COG of your quad

Last edited by a moderator:

RunnerDuck

Looks pretty good and stable.
I have always leant that you should never toch the trim buttons on your radio.
Does it always drift the the same side? If so you should:
  • Calibrate your sticks on your radio
  • Calibrate your sticks in the Naza Assistant
  • Calibrate your ESC
  • Check the COG of your quad

Thanks Hood49.

I did all of that just before my first flight. I went through it with a fine tooth comb. I do think it's close but not close enough.

Should I be dialing it in with GPS, ATTI or Manual selected?

Thanks,

Ken

Hood49

Problem with the Naza Lite is that the first three minutes it drifts in GPS-mode. If you google it you will find that lots of people have this problem.

I fly in attitude mode without GPS: no drift problems and goes great.
If I get in trouble with orientation I flick the GPS switch and let it come back to daddy.

TahoeTim

Since you have the taranis programming down, go back to my link on programming and put your pids on the round knob channels on your transmitter. That way you can tune in f'light.

RunnerDuck

Thanks to Hood49 and TahoeTim. I flew it today in ATTI and it flew really well. I didn't try GPS but I'm happy with the way if flies.
I'll go back and recheck the programming link to see what is says abut PID tuning with the pots.

dazzab

For a week I worked on a SuperX system that would flip on takeoff. I know all the things check for that symptom and like you kept looking at it totally convinced that it was wired correctly. That was until I realised that SuperX orders their motor numbering in a CCW direction and I wired them in a CW direction. Oops! :)

BTW, Anthony at SuperX was super helpful and so patient in helping me out. It was quite embarrassing when I figured out what I had done.