NAZA landing gear ($20, all parts available at Lowe's).

babs701

So I replaced the Bic Pens (yesterdays post...which gave me the idea for these) with some rugged aluminum landing gear. I purchased all the parts at Lowe's for just under $20 (including the miniature pipe cutter) and completed the build and install in about 40 min.
Parts:
-1/4" x 3' solid aluminum rod: $3.21
-2 packs 1/4" heat shrink tubing: $3.92
-1/8-5/8" mini tube cutter: $6.95
-2 packs (4 count each pack -white) 1/4" tube end protectors: $1.74
-2 packs (three count each pack - yellow) 5/16" tube end protectors: $1.74
I had the two way tape and small black zip ties, but you'll need these as well.

The build:
-With the pipe cutter, I cut four sections of the aluminum rod at 6-1/2"
-Wrapped with heat shrink.
-Placed white end protectors on both ends of all 4 rods.
-Placed yellow end protectors over the white protectors on one side of rods for extra wear, as this side will be contacting the ground.
-Cut small strips of two way tape and apply to the outside of the NAZA's skids.
-Zip tied new landing gear to skids.

With the GoPro mounted in it's protective case beneath (centered) the NAZA, this set up allows for one inch of ground clearance. The landing gear is at no time in the frame of the camera at the r5 setting. Very light weight, very strong...they don't budge.

Just wanted to share a cheap easy build...just a bit more expensive than the Bic Pens! :livid:
View attachment 8811View attachment 8812View attachment 8813View attachment 8814View attachment 8815View attachment 8816View attachment 8817View attachment 8818View attachment 8819View attachment 8820View attachment 8821

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 272

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've been doing a similar setup to my F frames for a while now using carbon fiber tube with a core of solid carbon fiber rod superglued inside. To date I have yet to break one, they always pop the tywraps in crashes and I just tie it back on afterward...

IMG_2734a.jpg

Ken

babs701

I was going to use carbon fiber but would need to order it online. These might bend in a crash, but then again, something always breaks. Where did you get the carbon fiber from?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I was going to use carbon fiber but would need to order it online. These might bend in a crash, but then again, something always breaks. Where did you get the carbon fiber from?

The local hobby shop stocks it in a bunch of different sizes, I use 5mm tube on the F450 and the F330 in the picture has 3mm, both very light and very strong.

Ken

I wonder how hard those fiberglass CB antenna rods would be to cut. That would get more break resistance and light as well. Great idea though....I might go to Lowes on Saturday! I want to get my GoPro in the air!

bigmoebbq

for you guys mounting the gopro upside down. is there a setting that lets you reverse the image? or do you do it when you convert the video? if so this would solve a problem with having my props in the picture.

Badfrog

for you guys mounting the gopro upside down. is there a setting that lets you reverse the image? or do you do it when you convert the video? if so this would solve a problem with having my props in the picture.

There is a setting in the GoPro...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your basically telling the go pro that it is upside down to start with. I think in the menu it says UP with an arrow and you can reverse that.

bigmoebbq

Awesome thanks
I never read the manual..lol

i think I have some old carbon arrows laying around. This might do the trick I need.

babs701

Yes...there's a firmware update you'll have to download and install (easy to do) for this function to work. After installed, go to your settings menu and you'll have 2 choices. "UP" for normal shooting and "UPd" for upside down shooting. Choose UPd and you'll be all set.

Link to the firmware update: http://pointofviewcameras.com/gopro-hd-firmware-upgrade#UPd

Instructions once firmware is installed
View attachment 8844

And a video description of how to choose the setting. You might have this function already available depending how old your camera is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lg-Whsj1K5w#!

Attachments

• GP firmware setting.jpg
    GP firmware setting.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:

babs701

Just thought about this. If you have GPS on your machine, you'll have to adjust your "Z" setting in the assistant software (under the "mounting" tab) since the GPS unit is at a different height.

bigmoebbq

yea IA I have been looking at your products for a while now. Saw it over at FPVLab. I have to decide on a great frame first then I will surely be looking at your site.

BobinAZ

Not that it's important, but I've been using the same idea on my Flamewheel for awhile. Where mine differs is that I CA the carbon legs to the outer edge of Flamewheel legs instead of using tie wraps. They stand up (no pun intended) to all but the hardest landings. If one does occur, the CA lets go saving the arm. A bit of CA to re-adhere the rod to the arm and you're ready to go.

It's all good. :)