Naza GPS signal through plastic..?

kenny.c

Hi there

I don't normally need to ask many questions as the answer is usually found doing a quick search.
But one quick question for you guys......will mounting my GPS antenna under a plastic dome cover effect GPS performance...?

Thanks
Ken

It won't hurt "performance", but it may block the signal depending on how thick the plastic is. I.e. if you have a lock on GPS, you're good; but if you don't get a lock, it's the plastic. The way I understand it, plastic isn't going to cause erroneous position readings because it isn't delaying the signal, but it can block it which means you have no position.
Is there any way you can mount the GPS puck on top of your plastic?

kenny.c

To be honest yes....I could mount it on top...but im a sucker for detail and looking good so was interested in having it covered.
Ill experiment with position / signal strength and report back

Thank for your reply
Ken

Does this mean I should remove the plastic case from my GPS?
Yes, I'm sure it wasn't designed correctly. ;)
If you're implying I said it wouldn't work, I didn't. But Kenny never said what type of plastic nor how thick, and the right combination of those will block GPS, that's all I was trying to say.

TAPPEDOUT

Most plastic not change signal.
Not unless black plastic, may contain carbon for color.
Of course carbon fiber blocks too.
And yes unit it's self plastic case.

airship

if can help... i have done an home made vacuum formed dome for my quad , made out of whit abs and have no problems with gps, thickness 1mm. also petG clear vacuum formed give me no problems.
ceers
peppe