Naza GPS RTH Question

Hi Guys, Is anyone aware of a way to change the return to home failsafe altitude in the Naza GPS. As I understand, it is pre-programmed to ascend to 20 meters if below that altitude when RTH is triggered. We have some pretty tall trees in this area, so it would be best if it could be set to say 30-40 meters, or whatever works. As it seems now, there is no way to change this. Thanks in advance for any replies.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Guys, Is anyone aware of a way to change the return to home failsafe altitude in the Naza GPS. As I understand, it is pre-programmed to ascend to 20 meters if below that altitude when RTH is triggered. We have some pretty tall trees in this area, so it would be best if it could be set to say 30-40 meters, or whatever works. As it seems now, there is no way to change this. Thanks in advance for any replies.

If it is below 20 meters when the failsafe activates it will climb to that altitude as you already know. If you are above that when failsafe activates it will remain at its current altitude until it reaches the home position then it will begin to descend. If you think you may need to use manual failsafe or might get far enough away to lose the radio signal the simple answer is fly higher than any object between the multi and home position. The Naza currently has no provision for changing the RTH default altitude and I'm not holding my breath waiting for DJI to add it as a feature.

Ken

If it is below 20 meters when the failsafe activates it will climb to that altitude as you already know. If you are above that when failsafe activates it will remain at its current altitude until it reaches the home position then it will begin to descend. If you think you may need to use manual failsafe or might get far enough away to lose the radio signal the simple answer is fly higher than any object between the multi and home position. The Naza currently has no provision for changing the RTH default altitude and I'm not holding my breath waiting for DJI to add it as a feature.

Ken
I had considered the same thing RT, but many times I really like flying around low and through the terrain when possible, and so it would be useful to have ability to change heights of RTH - but obviously every variable can not be accounted for in setting up RTH - we take our chances!

Bella7821

I like flying low too. You could just take a laptop with you and when you fly low around trees you can just set fail safe to land and when your in open areas set it to RTH.
It would be nice if there was an APP that you could change that and also change the gains from the field through a Bluetooth adapter that plugged into the USB port.

I am not complaining at all, you can get pretty aggressive about pushing the limits of your transmitter range, and really not be too worried at all. I am loving it!

glacier51

mhevansusa

I was thinking about your problem and there might be a workaround which can be easily tested.

There's a way to set a new home position in flight. According to what I have, you go to the new "home" position, move the flight mode switch from GPS to Manual and back. Then move IOC switch to Course, then flip the IOC switch from Course to Home up to a dozen times, until the LED does a fast flash like it does when recording the course thing at 30 seconds after initialization.

The idea would be to figure your tallest obstacle, call it 40m, takeoff from initial recorded "home" position and come to a hover height above your "home" that would include the NAZA 20m plus enough height to get over your obstacle - in this case a hover height of 30m (total 50m). Then record the new "home" position.

I'm just guessing here, but the new home position can be any height because how would NAZA know it's not on the ground at the new home position? Thing is, if you do trigger failsafe, your machine is going to come back and try to land to a point 30m above the ground, so you would definitely have to take control again.

Of course, this assumes you have a working TX. If your TX is really dead, I suppose a low volt battery failsafe descent from 30m to your initial T/O point is preferable to running dead on into trees.

Ron