Naza, F550 and 2 axis servo question

xnavyguy

All,

Currently I have a DJI Naza with GPS on a F550. I wanted to get an inexpensive 2 axis gimbal so I ordered an X468 XT with landing gear from RC Drones. I'm going to order 2 HS-65MG servo's for the gimbal. Do I need a BEC for the servos or can I just plug them into and power them from the Naza MC? I'm currently running a 3s 5000mah battery in case anyone needs to know the battery size. Trying to find an answer tonight so I can order the servo's right away.

Thanks,
Mike

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
I just installed a two axis gear/gimbal set from AeroXcraft on my F550 using the same servos as yours. Mine are plugged directly to the NAZA gimbal output slots. The servos seem a bit jerky, but the video tests have been more than acceptable. My first test was done yesterday in conditions that I usually would not have flown. The winds were gusting to 25mph. Nevertheless, I was able to render smooth video using medium stabilization in post. I ran a second test today with winds about half of day one. I have not tried any editing on today's capture, but the raw stuff looks great. In both cases the gimbal was able to hold the horizon on both axis during a variety of slow and quick maneuvers. I have a BEC set to 6 volts that I have not installed. I plan to give it a try just to see what difference it makes. Some might argue that if its not broken don't fix it, but for me the tinkering is part of the enjoyment. Perhaps the bump to 6 volts will help smooth the servo motion.

I'm using a GoPro Hero 2 set at 1080p medium FOV. The gimbal kept the horizon spot-on centered on both axis. The horizon in the videos was flat. I have the pitch set to adjustable on the TX. Point the GoPro down at a 45 degree angle and that flat horizon lines becomes a semi-circle.

xnavyguy

Thanks for the input 2tall...I'll also be using a gopro hero 2 and I shoot at 1080p medium. Let me know how the bec works as I'll pick one up if it helps.

Mike

Hi 2tall,
I gonna have the same setting of yours, waiting for my landing gear and gimbal. My Ubec is already installed. I have 2 HS-65mg and i test them with the Ubec. They seems to work fine.
I order Graupner 10,5 and i use 3s lipo. Do you think that the bird will fly with 3s?
You run your servo gimbal in what frequency? Do you used the 8 cm pole for the GPS and what is the setting for your CG, x,y,z? What is your gain setting?
Thanks for sharing your experiences and have good fly.
Alain

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
Alain - I fly the 10/5 Graupners and my ship needs 4S power. I have a Sterilite "lid" on top that adds a bit of weight. I can fly on 3S but she is underpowered. "Kloner" taught me the procedure to make that determination:

With the ship fully loaded with all you intend to carry, hover (center stick) in GPS or ATI mode (at a safe altitude, say 50 feet). Then, switch to manual mode. At throttle center stick the ship should at least sustain the hover, ideally begin a slow climb. If she does, your prop/power mix is okay. If the ship descends at center stick in manual mode you are under powered and need to add more voltage or longer props. My ship handles the 4S/10.5 combination very well. Nothing over-heats and flying is a pleasure.

Here are my gains:

NAZA Auto Pilot:

Pitch 288, Roll 288, Yaw 191, Vert 191 ATT P-150, R-150

Gimbal:

Pitch Travel & Center: 1000, 20, -1000
Roll Travel & Center: 700, 200, -700
Pitch & Roll Gains 21.5

Also, I used the AeroXCraft silicone mounts between the gimbal and the rail mount adapter rather than the stock, harder, rubber mounts.

Good Luck

Jon

Jon - Thanks for infos. I just begin to build my landing/gimbal and can't wait to make some tests. Hope to have enough power. I use HS65mg and they are not digital so i don't expect same results that yours. I also put silicone mount on mine.
Cross my fingers.

Thanks again and have a nice day

Alain