Naza F450 Noob

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Just ordered my first multirotor, a DJI Naza F450 and I'm really excited to get it tomorrow. I am a complete beginner so please if you see anything here that is wrong don't hesitate to correctly put the smack down on my ignorance. Eventually I am hoping to throw a camera rig on for a GoPro or other small HD Handycam

The DJI kit is standard:

• 1x Dji Flame Wheel F450 Quad-Rotor RC Heli Kit (DJIFWF450)
  • 1x DJI NAZA MULTIROTOR CONTROLLER (DJINAZACTRL)
  • 4x Dji 2212 Electric Motor (DJIMTR2212)
  • 4x Dji ESC 30A (DJIESC30A)
  • 4x Dji 10" Propellers (DJIPRP10)
  • 4x Dji 8" Propeller (DJIPRP8)

Additionally I ordered from Amazon:

• 1x Spektrum DX6i DSMX 6-Channel 2 Mode Transmitter
  • 1x Spektrum Ar600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver

All I have left to order is the battery and charger.

Any words of wisdom or advice from the pros for this coming weekend's project?

zx12rcarl

hia there
all i can add is dont rush things, just take ya time and double check things as its easy to rush and over look stuff cos ya diein to get out to fly it to find you endup haveing prob
download the manuals for ya naza and dx6i and so on and have a read befor your parts come... and most of all have fun mate :)

Tahoe Ed

For Lipos, I am using the Turnegy NanoTech 3S 2650mAh and I am getting 8+ minutes of flight time with a GoPro. You have the option to use a 4S lipo with the 8" props. I use 4S 4000mAh on my F550 hexa and get about the same flight times.

Tomstoy2

Just a reminder, the driver is a .rar file, so you will need a winzip that can un-zip it, like 7-zip, that you can download for free.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Get more than 2 batts, it's hard to learn when you only get 15 min. of fly time. Order extra props and maybe go heavier on the ccw props, for some reason these were the ones I broke more frequently.
Have fun these things are a hoot!

tstrike

pendejo grande
from my understanding the 4s batts spin the props faster. To Sotomatic, make sure you also have the stuff to make a battery lead from the quad, the 450 doesn't come with one so you'll have to supply your own. You'll have to decide which connector type you want (deans, bullet, etc.)

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
tstrike: Thanks for the heads up. These are the sort of things I have no idea on. I have brand new Walkera 3D 400D20 that I wrecked hard after flying for a grand total of 15 seconds. I'm thinking of cannibalizing it for parts. Do you think I would be able to use the battery lead from it?

zx12rCarl: Thanks. I'm taking your advice and reading through the manual now. (something I've only done in the past with complicated IKEA furniture)

For the mAh, what should I look for?

mailman35

just buy 1-2m of red and black silicon wire 10-14gauge should be fine. get some xt60 connectors and solder them all up.

Tomstoy2

Simple explanation;
More voltage, less amps consummed.

So, a 4s will give you more duration.

So, why is it recommended to use smaller props with 4s? It a torque thing. 4s also gives you more thrust.
If your f450 flys fine with 3s and 10" props, hovers at mid stick on throttle, then going to 4s is going to make it hover below mid stick. The controller is looking for mid-stick to give you hover ability.

To correct this, you either lower prop size, or add more weight, like a camera and gimbal.

If you are a hot-rod pilot, looking for as much performance as possible, then the following rule does not apply, hovering is not your primary concern.
If you want to do video and photography, then hovering is your primary concern.

It's a matter of deciding what you want your platform to do and build towards that objective. Everything has a trade-off.

Concerning chargers, do your research and get the best you can afford. I use Icharger and really like it. A good charger will have the ability to ballance charge your batterys, display the condition of each cell, and the ability to charge a wide variety of batterys and sizes.

One important consideration is where to charge, as in charging safety.

I had a guy post on one of my threads on another forum a couple days ago that got REALLY lucky he didn't burn down his house! He was charging in a metal box with the lid closed, but not latched because of the wires. The battery exploded blowing the lid open and flames shooting over the top 2 feet into the air!
It should also be noted a standard fire extinguisher will not stop a lipo fire. It takes a type D extinguisher, which are expensive. A bucket of sand near by is a good defence.
Do your research on safety with dilligence!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
thanks mailman 35. That's probably good to have around anyhow.

What should I look for in a battery? 3S, 4S, 2650mAh, 4000mAh....?

mailman35

personally i find the quad flies alot better on 4s vs 3s, its got a bit more power to give, where as 3s lags, im also upgrading my motors away from teh stock dji's going with supro 2814s.
also getting away from the dji props is a good option too, you are gonna spend alot more money on the grapners, im running 10x5s @ 4s on the 2212's.

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Failsafe?

Another issue that I noticed may come up is with the Naza Fail-safe. Anyone out there know if the Spektrum DX6i is compatible with a Naza fail-safe?

I read in a couple of other threads that the fail-safe may have issues with the DX6i but nothing concrete. Of course I noticed it AFTER I ordered my TX. Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters but I also ordered a Spektrum Ar600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver.

Tomstoy2

I can't answer that question, but you might just consider sending it back and get a different radio.

One thing seems certain in this hobby, you can't have enough channels. Muself, I bought a Futaba 8fg super for my quads even though I already owned a dx7 for my heli's. So far, the Futaba has worked just fine and the s-bus is a real sweet feature.

Tomstoy2

In that price range, only Airtronics comes to mind. I know nothing at all about these radio's, so I'm not saying I would recommend them. As with anything, research is everything.

Or, you could try to be really, really nice to " she who controls all"!

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Haha. I'm not sure who "she" is but I went ahead and got dx7s instead and returned the earlier one.

I'm putting my rig together and I noticed the cables for the Naza don't match the ports on the AR8000 receiver that came with my DX7. Am I missing something?

Tahoe Ed

Haha. I'm not sure who "she" is but I went ahead and got dx7s instead and returned the earlier one.

I'm putting my rig together and I noticed the cables for the Naza don't match the ports on the AR8000 receiver that came with my DX7. Am I missing something?

You have to trim the tabs off the side of the three lead plug. They will work. Be careful that you don't cut down to the lead.