NAZA and Futaba set-up - help needed

I've finally found some time today to build the Flamewheel. Now on to the radio set up - which is where I need some support.

Does anyone fly a Futaba Tx that would be willing to share your NAZA setup (downloaded from the assistant) and how you have your Tx configured?

I'm installing a R6014HS Rx Fasst with the MZ14 Tx.

Thanks in advance.

jforkner

I'm flying the F450 Naza kit with my Futaba 9CAP Tx and a Berg 7P Rx. Not sure that will translate to your TX/Rx, but I'd be happy to share any info you think would help.

My best recommendation at this point is to first setup a new ACRO model on the Tx and make sure everything is zeroed out (trim, sub-trim, EPA, etc.). You may need to reverse the throttle servo---I did---it's pretty common with Futaba radios. I set the reverse in the radio, not the Assistant (so it shows up as NORM within Assistant). Once that's done, you can configure within the Assistant. Also note I had to reverse the elevator control to get the pitch in the correction direction---this I did in the Assistant.

Here's screenprints of my current configuration. I don't have a gimbal on mine at this time, so I didn't include that screen---it's set to off. Hope that helps. If you read the instructions and do EXACTLY what they state, you should have no trouble.

View attachment 2729View attachment 2730View attachment 2731View attachment 2732

Jack

Attachments

• Naza1.jpeg
    Naza1.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 520
  • Naza2.jpeg
    Naza2.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 481
  • Naza3.jpeg
    Naza3.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 536
  • Naza4.jpeg
    Naza4.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you Jack.
Yes, this helps.
As with any new Helicopter that I set up, I have "zeroed out" all trims and sub trims and started with a new model. No mixing. No Throttle curve (linear line in this case). No Gains. All switches are set to their standard "up" or "back" position except for the spring loaded Trainer/ Throttle hold switch. All sliders are set to mid point where they emit a "Chirp" to let me know that they are centered.

I noticed that you set your F450 up as ACRO (Airplane). I was wondering what aircraft type to setup and had initially created the profile through the Linkage Menu as a "Helicopter" with the swash Type set to H-4X, thinking that this is what the F450 looks to be confirgured. This is the "X" style you referenced in your NAZA Assistant setup, however, starting from the Top Right, the channel assignements are: AIL, ELE, PIT, ELE2 and in the instruction manual (Tx Calibration) it shows the channel assignments as: THR, RUD, ELE, AIL. I'm guessing that I need to change the model type to ACRO and let the NAZA (through the Assistant) manage/translate the output signal to the ESC's.

For your Tx, are you setting the Manual/Attitude mode assignement on the "Normal / Idel Up1 / Idel Up2" (some call it "Stunt mode") swtich?

I'm still trying to switch my brain from Heli mode to Quad mode.

jforkner

I've never flown helis, so I'm not familiar with the heli settings on the radio. I was flying airplanes before I got into multis, so for me the transition was familiar---channels 1 - 4, map to Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, & Rudder, respectively.

I used the landing gear switch (ACRO) on my radio for the mode switch (to change between Atti & Manual modes). It's a 2-position switch that's default-mapped to channel 5. On my radio, in Heli-mode, it's the Idle-up 1&2 Switch. I flew the quad in manual-mode briefly once just to verify it worked. But for I use Atti-mode for everyday flying.

Also, my radio is setup in FM (PPM) mode, not PCM, because of the receiver I'm using. It only supports fail-safe in PCM-mode, therefore I do not have fail-safe at the radio (loss of signal to the Rx).

Jack

GGoodrum

The problem with using a helicopter model is that almost all of the swash types introduce some form of CCPM mixing. This absolutely won't work with the Naza, or any other multirotor FC. I have a 14MZ and what I do is use an Airplane model to start, and use the Throttle Cut function, just like the Throttle Hold function on a Helicopter model. For smooth AV flying, I have three conditions programmed, Normal Winds, Light Winds and Moderate Winds. For the normal mode, I have the D/R set at 70% and the expo at 45%. The light and moderate settings are 85%/35% and 100%/25%, respectively. In the normal mode, the CSC procedure won't arm, because of the D/R settings, but it will if I have the Throttle Cut on. I flip it on, do the CSC to get the motors turning, flip the TC off and then lift off. Once back down, I just reverse the process.

-- Gary

Thank you Jack.
Yes, this helps.
As with any new Helicopter that I set up, I have "zeroed out" all trims and sub trims and started with a new model. No mixing. No Throttle curve (linear line in this case). No Gains. All switches are set to their standard "up" or "back" position except for the spring loaded Trainer/ Throttle hold switch. All sliders are set to mid point where they emit a "Chirp" to let me know that they are centered.

I noticed that you set your F450 up as ACRO (Airplane). I was wondering what aircraft type to setup and had initially created the profile through the Linkage Menu as a "Helicopter" with the swash Type set to H-4X, thinking that this is what the F450 looks to be confirgured. This is the "X" style you referenced in your NAZA Assistant setup, however, starting from the Top Right, the channel assignements are: AIL, ELE, PIT, ELE2 and in the instruction manual (Tx Calibration) it shows the channel assignments as: THR, RUD, ELE, AIL. I'm guessing that I need to change the model type to ACRO and let the NAZA (through the Assistant) manage/translate the output signal to the ESC's.

For your Tx, are you setting the Manual/Attitude mode assignement on the "Normal / Idel Up1 / Idel Up2" (some call it "Stunt mode") swtich?

I'm still trying to switch my brain from Heli mode to Quad mode.

Hi,

i have been flying with the Heli Mode Futaba 18MZ Swash type H-1 ( single swash type)

Shiu

jforkner

Hi,

i have been flying with the Heli Mode Futaba 18MZ Swash type H-1 ( single swash type)

Shiu

It obviously works. However...from the Naza Quick Start document:

1 Motor Mixer

Step1: Set your transmitter into ACROBATIC mode, close any channel mix, then choose your multi-rotor type. NAZA supports Quad-rotor I, X and Hex-rotor I, V

Jack

It obviously works. However...from the Naza Quick Start document:

1 Motor Mixer

Step1: Set your transmitter into ACROBATIC mode, close any channel mix, then choose your multi-rotor type. NAZA supports Quad-rotor I, X and Hex-rotor I, V

Jack
Hi Jack,

as i understood Futaba friendlier to work with the Heli mode, there has been number of ISSUES with other brand RADIOS ,thats why Dji clearly stated go with the ACROBATIC ,

also during a introduction of DJI WK mid August last year it has been stated in their Manual, it can be programmed under Heli mode as well…!

mind flying with this mixer : WK quad- X , WK Hexa I , Naza quad X

Shiu

The problem with using a helicopter model is that almost all of the swash types introduce some form of CCPM mixing. This absolutely won't work with the Naza, or any other multirotor FC. I have a 14MZ and what I do is use an Airplane model to start, and use the Throttle Cut function, just like the Throttle Hold function on a Helicopter model. For smooth AV flying, I have three conditions programmed, Normal Winds, Light Winds and Moderate Winds. For the normal mode, I have the D/R set at 70% and the expo at 45%. The light and moderate settings are 85%/35% and 100%/25%, respectively. In the normal mode, the CSC procedure won't arm, because of the D/R settings, but it will if I have the Throttle Cut on. I flip it on, do the CSC to get the motors turning, flip the TC off and then lift off. Once back down, I just reverse the process.

-- Gary

Thank you Gary. I'll switch over and set it up as an airplane (acro) model. I was concerned about the impact that the CCPM mixing would have. Setting it up as an Airplane will eliminate that problematic mixing.

Do you use the "Normal, Idle up 1/2" switch for your mixing or assign a 3 position D/R switch? I probably won't fly it in more than "moderate wind" until I get comfortable with the flying characteristics, plus for AV work it won't be too smooth without going to the WKM that employs the GPS lock to support stablizing the flying platform.

jforkner

Hi Jack,

as i understood Futaba friendlier to work with the Heli mode, there has been number of ISSUES with other brand RADIOS ,thats why Dji clearly stated go with the ACROBATIC ,

also during a introduction of DJI WK mid August last year it has been stated in their Manual, it can be programmed under Heli mode as well…!

mind flying with this mixer : WK quad- X , WK Hexa I , Naza quad X

Shiu

I'm glad it works for you. My comment was directed more toward the OP.

Jack

I've never flown helis, so I'm not familiar with the heli settings on the radio. I was flying airplanes before I got into multis, so for me the transition was familiar---channels 1 - 4, map to Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, & Rudder, respectively.

I used the landing gear switch (ACRO) on my radio for the mode switch (to change between Atti & Manual modes). It's a 2-position switch that's default-mapped to channel 5. On my radio, in Heli-mode, it's the Idle-up 1&2 Switch. I flew the quad in manual-mode briefly once just to verify it worked. But for I use Atti-mode for everyday flying.

Also, my radio is setup in FM (PPM) mode, not PCM, because of the receiver I'm using. It only supports fail-safe in PCM-mode, therefore I do not have fail-safe at the radio (loss of signal to the Rx).

Jack

Thanks Jack. You and Gary both have the same advice. I've switched the model type to Airplane and I'll see what I can get the NAZA Assistant ("X" mode) to work. IT just seems a bit foreign to me to fly a multi-rotor in Airplane mode - but again, the purpose of the Assistant must be to make that translation of airplane inputs to multi-rotor output.

Dale.

Hi Gary,
I think I'm pretty well sorted except for the Failsafe and the in flight remote adjust for the gains. I noticed that you have 3 conditions programmed. Would you be willing to share your set up (TX switches used and Rx channel assigned) for how you accomplished these?

Thank you.
Dale.

aziz_ok1

FUTABA 10CHG and DJI NAZA SET UP

Hi i need anybody to help me setting up futaba 10chg tx and rx and dji naza set up this is my first time setting up please help.thank you