National Gerographic Showcase their Multicopter

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
One of their multis is a full MK setup, built for them by Ziggy at Mikrokopter.US, he has a thread on his site forum about it.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
They claimed the crash was caused by a motor failure (which was probably caused by an MK BL component falling off). Does an X8 not have similar redundancy to a flat 8?

Dewster

They claimed the crash was caused by a motor failure (which was probably caused by an MK BL component falling off). Does an X8 not have similar redundancy to a flat 8?

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the video. I didn't want to product bash by disagreeing with the professionals. I watched the video crash a couple of times and it left me questioning whether or not there was any redundancy in multi rotors after hearing them claim the failure was due to a motor. I thought maybe they told the audience that because it was something easier for them to understand. I read about MK components frying and blowing out causing crashes . What going on with them??

That crash caught everyone by surprise. It wasn't like they were having control issues that led to a crash. Their MR just dropped. I started looking for "motor" and prop failure videos to see if there was ANY claimed redundant system configuration. I seems the octo is the best one unless one prop destroys another in flight... Someone on this forum posted this video earlier. I don't think it's the best evaluation of flight redundancy on WKM/NAZA system or frame configuration, but it was interesting information for a future build. Ground tests are different from sudden failure in the sky.

Here's the Youtube video:

http://youtu.be/6VSJYdD-Xr0

sim_io

These tests are good but they don't represent AP, show me a video where a guy with a hexacopter, a gimbal and dslr lands safely with one motor out, it will most likely dip straight down in the direction of the failed rotor.

After I watched the NG video, I kept wondering about what the guy said - that coaxial configurations are more stable in windy conditions.

Can anyone who has experience with both (okto and x8) confirm this?

If so, what is the principle behind this?

jes1111

I believe the wind stability thing is related to there being four columns of fast-moving air rather eight. Each of these columns represents a sort of "resistance" to disturbing wind. The entire question of redundancy is a tricky one - so many variables in play. What can't be denied is that the more motors you have, the better your chances.