Nano-Tech connector question

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have been gearing up for my first build, and thought I might get a jump start by charging up my new Nano-Tech batteries (5000mah 35-70C 3S) with the Turnigy Accucel-6. I plan on changing the battery connectors to XT-60 on these batteries, but I am wondering about the stock connectors.

It came supplied with 1 male bullet (negative-black) and 1 female bullet (positive-red) on the leads. Wondering why this is? I have only seen posts about people using female connectors on the battery - which makes sense to me for safety purposes.

The Accucel definitely wants the male banana style, but came with a few adapters as well. But none of them is this male/female configuration. Not sure why 2 products by the same company would not mate together. Also, the product page only mentions "bullet connectors" without specifying whether it's male or female.

What would be the scenario where I left the male/female set-up?

Any clarification is much appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

tstrike

pendejo grande
The general rule in electricity, as in life, female goes to power. Having a male/female banana plug setup insures you don't connect the leads up wrong.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
While i agree with the rule, for both electricity AND life :), it seems strange that Turnigy would ship a battery that has no way to charge on their own charging system. At least not out of the box. Are they assuming that everyone is going to immediately swap connectors???

The general rule in electricity, as in life, female goes to power. Having a male/female banana plug setup insures you don't connect the leads up wrong.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the clearing that up tstrike. Definitely the first time I have seen a company put money/manufacturing costs into something they know will be wasted immediately...even when safety is concerned! :)

tstrike

pendejo grande
There's really no rhyme or reason to it, I've gotten new batts with xt60's, some with that blue banana plug and some just bare wires with heat shrink. The best thing is find one of those octopus charging cables that has like 10 different plugs, you'll find a need for a couple different plug types as you move along in this hobby.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I thought I saw they have the xt60 option last time I looked. Maybe it was another lipo.

I definitely did not see any option like that. I knew I wanted to swap to those anyway, so I bought some raw connectors. This is the one I got, and it looks identical to the one that showed up The photo doesn't show the end of the leads, so you wouldn't know about the male/female issue:

[h=1]Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack[/h]

Don't bother charging your batteries before you even build your quad. It is no supposed to be good to store in a charged state and if nothing else, it is not as safe to have a fully charged battery sitting around. I think they are shipped in a store state and should be Leo that way until you are ready to use them.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's a really good point Tahoe. Playing safe is probably the best idea :) Just excited to get going. Hoping to make some good headway tomorrow.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The reason that I assume that they put a plug on these packs that is rated higher than the XT60 is that the battery can deliver higher power than what an XT60 is rated for is is close to the max, some of these packs also have 10 and 12 gauge cable, not suitable to use with XT60's, they probably assume that if you are using chunky packs that you will get a better charger and will be able to make an adapter to suit your packs.

Pete

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Pete,

Is it unsafe to use the XT60 connectors on these batteries? I had read decent reviews of the Accucel-6, for use with all sorts of batteries. Thought I was at least in decent territory with this charger. Not the best, but not the worst either...