My turn to make a Y6

Efliernz

Pete
I have been looking at a model suitable for travelling / tramping. I built a travel Tricopter over two years ago and it was brilliant :D Time to go for an fpv folding Y6.

I will look at some Sunnysky motors but I have a dozen spare RCTimer 2836/11's - so today I built a Y6.

630mm m-m
18mm square pine for arms.
6 x RCT2836 motors
A spare Rusty's centre hub
Spare HK electric retracts (because I can)
Hoverfly Sport board.
3S3000mA

6 hours later :) it goes.

Tidy-up and gimbal tomorrow

View attachment 10884 View attachment 10885 View attachment 10886 View attachment 10887

Attachments

• IMG_7859.jpg
    IMG_7859.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_7860.jpg
    IMG_7860.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_7861.jpg
    IMG_7861.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
I have had some problems with my newly aquired 2nd-hand Hoverfly Sport board BUT it appears that the cheap n nasty KK2 has the same motor layout (and hole positions) as the HFS. Awesome!

5 minutes later, the KK2 sits on the c-o-g point. The KK2 is not super-smooth like a Hoverfly board but I get some flying and testing in. As a basic travel fold-em-up machine, this diy machine rocks! I have aquired a spare tripod bag for it. I just remove the props and away it goes.
I was thinking about my video flight this morning when it occured to me... I haven't got latches on the front arms yet - so all the fast flying didn't sweep the arms back. I will put some locking-pins on them before I start aerobatics ;)

The KK2 board will be temporary as I accidentally ordered a Multiwii v4.r6 this morning...

Pete

Skewp

It's nice to see that some people also prefer coax setups. How about flight time on 3000 mAh 3S? 3000 mAh for six motors seems crazy:tennis:

Efliernz

Pete
I get 10 minutes from 80% of 3000. Not just hovering but real flying - with gopro on board. 1500g AUW
It will of course fly nicely with my new 2200 packs but the 3000 was closer on the bench! In the wind, a bit more weight is stability.

As a travel copter, it will come with me tramping, most likely through bush, up hills and waterfalls (I have one at 150' I want to fly over). These areas will have some wind and turbulence - which is where the Y6 is better than a quad.

It is my first coax copter - and my 16th machine. Still having fun ;)

Pete

Skewp

10 min flight time is more than great and so is 1500g AUW. My first quad did weight 1500g. I have to agree with You, Y6 (or any coax) is great in wind. I'm flying a X8 and compared to my flat octo it handles wind with no problems. :)

Efliernz

Pete
I would like another Hoverfly Pro board (I have 2) but the $ are a bit challenged at the moment... I will give the Multiwii Paris (with gyro + inertia) a go. It will be here is a few days.
I like simple FC setups. I hate programming - it is work (I am a telco engineer full-time) so the Hoverfly boards are awesome. They simply work really well.

I wired the retracts up last night. Drool moment to see the u/c go up and down while flying ;)

Skewp

Which retracts are You using? They seem to be ~8$ Hobbyking ones. Do they feel solid, how much weight will they support without having problems?

Efliernz

Pete
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14838__Digital_Servoless_Retractable_system_1pc_54g.html

Yup - $8 each
I have Y-leaded them and I use a separate ESC's BEC to the one powering the FC (well I have 5 spare).

I have 150mm 1/8" solid carbon legs with some soft rubber tube feet. Pretty stable. I wouldn't want more than 2Kg on the 3 legs as there is some wobble - but not much.
I have landed on concrete and grass ok but I can fly and hover well. I have also tipped over a couple of times. I like to hover at 1" and quickly cut the power, so it just sits down without bouncing around.

I have no idea how reliable these will be... but I have to do a partial gear landing, I will do the standard landing knowing I might damage a prop... big deal!

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
This is how she goes...

I have an hour on this machine now and it is a blast. Time to get the fpv camera on it.

Pete

vector57

Is there a simple video that shows how to setup the Hoverfly sport board with the setup utility, you know, the one that shows all the radio controls?

Efliernz

Pete
I haven't seen one.

Have you downloaded the manual - it is good.
My Hoverfly Sport is sitting in a bag doing nothing until I build another machine - and I have two partial builds already on the bench.

Pete

vector57

I have my sport assembled and setting on my kitchen table taking up space. Back a long time ago, when the Quadro first came out from Germany, I got one and built it, and flew it one time, and crashed, and it never flew again. I guess I am just a little skittish about trying to raise another titanic to actually test fly it. Yes I have the documentation, and it is clear enough, but a video always helps. The Pro has a video, but nothing I could find showing the use of the setup utility. So once again, I'm left with trying to figure out software for an experimental aircraft.