XAircraft My Hexa/WKM/FPV build

Tomstoy2

Had to think for a minute,,, then it dawned on me you ment on the take off. Lol!
On a heli, that would have disastery written all over it, on a quad, no biggie. But, just like a heli you really don't want to dauddle around taking off.

Thanks for the complement! It has been so much fun to make!
Got a little break in the wind today, so I snuck in a 3rd test flight.
About 7-9 mph constant and gusts up to 18mph. She handled so much better in the wind than the 1st flight! Blows me away how well, it blows my mind. I would have hated flying my Avant in that wind!

The test went so well, I'm ready to install the gimbal now and test it again with an all up weight. Should be even better with more weight.
All goes good, then onto fpv testing!

I don't have a Naza,,, yet. The hardest part was installing the driver. Just remember it's a .rar zip file so you'll need to recognize that with your Winzip.
Didn't help I was also learning a new radio at the same time.

Speaking of Naza,,, I'm about to order one as I tested my Flame Wheel today using all the stock components off of my 330x-s that I stripped down.
That gu-344, what a piece of garbage!!!
The Scorpion motors, stock esc's, even the 8" props will be fine. Even suprised me with the power it produced. But that gu-344 has got to go!!!

Vortex

Hahahaha...When was the other time it was upside down ;) Yeah I agree if it was a conventional heli it would have been a wreck!!

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Naza when you hook it up. I have opted for MK electronics and plan couple my mount up to it....That is when I get it!!!

The Gaui is not really up to anything serious....There are a lot out there and the new big one is generating a lot of interest with sport flyiers.

a944734

Looking gorgeous !
Just a thought - maybe consider mounting the FPV cam on the frame (fixed). That way you get a much better feel visually what the vehicle is doing in reference to the ground.
Having the FPV view compensated by the gimbal is rather counter-productive. Don't ask how I know ;-)

Tomstoy2

Thanks guys!

I thought about mounting the fpv camera fixed, also. However, the idea I have is to be able to 'see' what the camera sees as I intend to use this on my many fly-fishing trips. Another reason why I wanted the WKM.
I can lock the cameras forward to get to something interresting, hover in gps and then tilt to what I want to see on video afterward, kind of thing.

Looks like it's going to be awhile before I can do the flight tests with the gimbal mounted. We got a big storm moving in right now. Supposed to get a pretty good snow storm out of it,,,, and me out of gas for the snow thrower, too! The chores never end,,,
With the barometer swinging my poor ol' knee was acting up so bad I took off work and staying home tomorrow, too. The 10 pounds of titanium I have for a left knee really hates the barometer swings and cold weather!

Gives me a chance to mess with the Flame Wheel, though.
I ripped off everything from my 330x-s and mounted it. The test flight yesterday didn't go so well. The Flame Wheel liked the Scorpion motors but that damn gu-344 fc doesn't work worth a damn! Didn't wreck it, but the 9mph wind sure made flying it a hand full.
Going to try putting my fy91q nav. system on it, minus the gps, ( yes, I'm one of those stupid people that picked one up ). Actually, the fc itself is pretty damn good. I'm hoping that with just the compass/barometer attached I can get decient results. It wasn't until the gps was added that things went wrong in a hurry with it.
If that don't work out to my liking, then it's Naza time, but I'm sure if I get a Naza I'll also want larger Tiger motors and esc, and props and,,,,, well, you know,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JQ7lW1Mh6XU

rwilabee

The build looks great. My Avroto motors have long leads. I was thinking if I used the DJI Esc's I would be able to plug right in to them without any leads sticking out. They have the pins sticking out from the side. Do you think there would be room to use them as I would like to mount the ESC's just like you did. Maybe you can take a look at what they look like if you haven't seen them. Would be pretty clean.

Rich

Tomstoy2

I'm really on the fence about those DJI modded HW esc's. The thing I don't like specifically is the connectors being soldered onto the boards. It's a failure point just waiting to happen. Annodized gold soldered doesn't hold the best. It would just eat away in the back of my mind constantly. I crash enough as it is all on my own, so I like to ensure that everything else is as bullet proof as I can make it. It pisses me off to no end when a crash happens because of a component.

There are trade offs with everything. I would rather sacrifice a clean installation.

As far as room goes, they pretty much need to be installed along the side anyway as thing get crowded on the lower plate in a hurry with power distribution. God help me the day I have to disassemble it to work in there. That's why I like to over-build, so hopefully I won't have to.

Thanks for the complement! It was one fun build!

rwilabee

It looks like the IMU fit nicely with the component plate around it. I am assuming it is stuck to the top plate just below. Did you use thick or thin CA to glue the lights on. I was thinking about using some goop but maybe the CA is better. I don't think the sticky back on the lights would hold up very long.

Tomstoy2

I used some old thin ca. They are really stuck on there. Plus, a coupe wire ties that hold down the motor leads surround it so if the ca gives they won't end up dangling.

Still haven't hooked up the led's. y last attempt did nothing, so found the problem. My DEght controller went bad. ot too happy about that. a ea nice squence programmed into it, too.
Was really a pain as the DE driver doesn't work with Win7, so you have to force it.

rwilabee

I wonder if you are going to have to drop the voltage down or will the LED's handle 4S.

I used some old thin ca. They are really stuck on there. Plus, a coupe wire ties that hold down the motor leads surround it so if the ca gives they won't end up dangling.

Still haven't hooked up the led's. y last attempt did nothing, so found the problem. My DEght controller went bad. ot too happy about that. a ea nice squence programmed into it, too.
Was really a pain as the DE driver doesn't work with Win7, so you have to force it.

Tomstoy2

No, 6v max. I'll worry about that someday. For now though, think 'll do an all up weight flight test with the GoPro on board and filming before the Superbowl.

Brombo

Just a point of view
Hey Tom, nice works!We have around the same hangar.. I'm looking to set fine my Hexa in the software to remove the oscillations, they are really tiny but there is a way.I see lot of maiden flights from the same setup and they have a nice smooth fly.I will post soon some of my video.. the wheater is not good and always windy to take good video.My Multirotors : http://brombox.altervista.org/

Tomstoy2

Thanks! Weather here still sucks. Snowed again last nite, and another storm comming it a couple days.

Before I try faster servo's, I'm going to fiddle around with reaction speed, see how it looks. There really are cheap servo's, DSC 2600's, but don't want to go over-board with them either. Still something that get down to around .08 seems to me to be ideal.

rwilabee

I hope my Avroto motors will fit ok as I don't have the frame yet. The motors have holes at 19mm and 26mm and the diameter of the motor is 35.5 mm. I will probably only be able to use the 19mm holes which is probably ok two should hold the motor. I just hope the 35.5 mm isn't to big a diameter for the plate so the motor doesn't hit the outside screws that hold the plate to the arm.

rwilabee

I know I was surprised at the size. They are actually only 770 RPM motors. 50 oz thrust with 4S and 10 4.7 prop and 60 oz thrust with 4S and 11 4.7 prop. I was planning on running the 10 x 4.7 props. They are powerful enough to run a 12" prop but our hexas are not big enough for that size of prop. I got them beacuse they are supposedly very reliable motors. They are the Avroto 2814 short shaft, made in the US, long wires, Steel Shaft and Bearing from Japan and they only cost about 58.00 each. Maybe they will run cool I just hope I don't weigh down the XAircraft Hexa with them. The frame came and I can use the motors, then I had to give it back to the wife since I don't officially get the frame until Valentines day. I am hoping to use an AfroPower Distribution board for ESC's and power for my WKM. I'm going to use a Castle BEC for the Servos on the Gimble and a second Castle BEC at 9 volts for my LED's.

So I guess I don't get to start the build till next Tuesday.

My God, those are some serious motors! What the hell are you going to lift, bridge supports?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

10's will fit, barely, but will probably be over-prop'd. You can compensate with added weight, so don't go skimpy. With those motors and 10 inch props I would start off by slinging 2ea 4s 5000mah batterys in parallel.

You can always go down to 8 inch props, I guess, but hub size might become an issue?

Some really slo-fly props will be necessary.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

rwilabee

At least those motors will add some extra weight. Maybe I could lift a larger camera than the Gopro. Anyway I'll take pics as I start the build. I hope I don't have to go down to 8" props as I have some nice Carbon Fiber props I hope to run.