My flip of death experience

Flydigital

Not sure if this was my fault or a DJI glitch.
I was cruising along at about 40m across fields. My OSD said I was 520m away (furthest I've ever been). Suddenly the sticks became unresponsive and the MC continued it's steady flight away from me. About 1 second after losing control it inverted 180º and dropped.
Luckily undamaged and landed in bushes. I looked for about 40 minutes with no luck and luckily tried to start the motors within range and heard it twitching in the bushes.

On reviewing the footage, at the moment I lost stick control it had about 1 second of odd sounding motor followed by almost silent rapid descent.

Once recovered battery and motors were all fine.

I know these are common DJI stories. Not sure if there's anything I can learn from my experience.
Did I go out of range? (surely the failsafe would kick in?)
Did I flip to manual by mistake? (yet the rotors fell suddenly silent)

Heading out again but plan to keep it close by for a while!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
What are the details of your system- A2, WKM, Naza? What firmware? What's your airframe etc

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
And how did you setup the failsafe? Sounds like you may have bound it with the throttle at 0%. What transmitter/receiver combo you using?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
And how did you setup the failsafe? Sounds like you may have bound it with the throttle at 0%.

I was thinking the same thing, failsafe kicked in, it turned to head back and had no throttle setpoint and down she went. In fact, with a zero setpoint your motors would shut down.

Check your settings.

Toxifera

Hey Benjamin & OneStopRC, I have just put together a new bird. I am worried about the same situation. Please excuse me for being dense, but how do you know if you bound it with a 0% setpoint? Thank You, Eric.

crcr

Hey Benjamin & OneStopRC, I have just put together a new bird. I am worried about the same situation. Please excuse me for being dense, but how do you know if you bound it with a 0% setpoint? Thank You, Eric.

Hey Eric

Are you using Spektrum?

When setting the fail safe's you should bind or set the fail safe with the throttle at around 48%. You can check your failsafe settings buy bench testing. With the props OFF, power up you TX and craft and connect the FC to your PC, now switch off your TX and you can see all the settings in the WKM assistant.

crcr

All your failsafe settings will be the same, its only the way you program them thats different. With the 14SG you set the failsafes from the failsafe screen in the radio. Set the throttle in the position you want and push the button. Same goes for all the other stick and switch positions.

When you are bench testing your fail-safes, make sure you can see that the FC goes into failsafe mode in the assistant.