My 1st build. (F550 custom)

NewGuy01

Okay, as promised.. I have put together a "shopping list"... I would appriciate any feedback and comments.. I have not placed an order yet.. so there is time to change and add items.. I dont have a FPV listed, as I am not sure what to get there. I have seen a few that work with Ipad, but I'm an Android guy... Suggestions are welcome.

DJI Naza-M Multirotor Autopilot V2 With GPS Combo

Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) For Quad / Hexacopter (should i get a different one? only one i found)

DJI E600 Tuned Propulsion System Power (6x Motor&ESC/5 Pair Prop/Acc & Tool Box)

F550 Aluminum Arms Kit 4 Black/ 2 Red (extends size to 650 to allow the e600 setup)

F550 basic kit

6S LiPo batteries (do i need 2?)

Landing gear of some sort ( suggestions? )

futaba 14sg controller

Let me know what you all think.

Peter

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Looks like a seriously powerfull F650. I had my mind on something similar, but economic reasons made me go for a more mainstream F550 / E300 instead.

My suggestion would be to get the genuine DJI Power Distribution Boards. I've seen them on eBay for about $25 if I remember right. Then you won't need the "F550 basic kit" since you already got the parts covered.

NewGuy01

Im not sure, but now that I am looking.. looks like a DJI Power Distribution Board comes with the e600 set.. One less thing to get.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Okay, as promised.. I have put together a "shopping list"... I would appriciate any feedback and comments.. I have not placed an order yet.. so there is time to change and add items.. I dont have a FPV listed, as I am not sure what to get there. I have seen a few that work with Ipad, but I'm an Android guy... Suggestions are welcome.

DJI Naza-M Multirotor Autopilot V2 With GPS Combo

Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) For Quad / Hexacopter (should i get a different one? only one i found)

DJI E600 Tuned Propulsion System Power (6x Motor&ESC/5 Pair Prop/Acc & Tool Box)

F550 Aluminum Arms Kit 4 Black/ 2 Red (extends size to 650 to allow the e600 setup)

F550 basic kit

6S LiPo batteries (do i need 2?)

Landing gear of some sort ( suggestions? )

futaba 14sg controller

Let me know what you all think.

Peter
@NewGuy01, the standard "stock" DJI F550 should come with a PDB. Are you looking at something that may be better quality or handle more amps??

Why do you want to go 6S? I can't remember off the top of my head what the voltage range of the E600 system is: 4S to 6S?

Do you have any estimate of what your AUW will be?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I've heard that the NAZA-M may not be able to effectively stabilise large multirotors. Yours may be borderline. Perhaps you should consider a Wookong-M or A2 instead.

navycut81

I've heard that the NAZA-M may not be able to effectively stabilise large multirotors. Yours may be borderline. Perhaps you should consider a Wookong-M or A2 instead.

I had issues with my naza m v2 on my tbs disco with custom pro upgrade with aerial mob upgrade running 3506-25 650kv t motors and spinning 14x6 tmotor beechwoods on 3s 6000 mah AUW of 4.2 lbs 720 mm motor to motor
I was getting a bad rocking of my platform upon throttle up and quick decent.
thus the trusty eagle tree vector now controls that bird and my blackout hex is now rocking the naza with zero issues so far

NewGuy01

So, I got ahold of a DCI dealer who was able to get me what i needed.. and got talked into a S900 with A2, with 4114 pro motors.. I think i got a good price at $2050.00.. I might still someday make a f550.. but for now this is the direction i am going...now i just need everything else... any suggestions?

Peter

NewGuy01

I intend to do weekend flying and photography as a hobby. I work with large yachts currently and have an "in" with a few captains. I would imagine there is money to be made doing aerial photography for these boats while underway..

I have not flown anything large yet.... I am thinking that will all change soon thou.

Peter

navycut81

I intend to do weekend flying and photography as a hobby. I work with large yachts currently and have an "in" with a few captains. I would imagine there is money to be made doing aerial photography for these boats while underway..

I have not flown anything large yet.... I am thinking that will all change soon thou.

Peter

To start off Im not trying to be an ass or take the wind out of your sails, but based on reading all you posting from when you signed up you seem to be really new to multirotors. Yes they are really easy to fly and to take pictures from ( "IF" there set up correctly and YOU dialed them in) But with that being said, THEY DO CRASH!!!! Im not trying to be all doom and gloom.
But they do crash no matter how well you do your pre flights there are so many things that can go wrong, motor failures, ecs crapping out, the dreaded A2 flip of death, fly-aways ect ect...... but **** happens.
Im not trying to talk you out of getting a multirotor but PLEASE start small, work your way up to something as powerful and expensive. Im not saying don't buy it, that's one hell of a deal. But I would pick myself up a nice little relatively cheap 550 or 450 and build that yourself so when you crash and you will crash you will know how to fix it and it wont break the bank to fix it. Then once you have a good grasp of YOUR flying ability then pull out the big bird.

But this is just my opinion and from personal experiances and not ment to discourage you at all in your future build, I wish you all the best and I promise Ill keep the rest of my post more upbeat and positive :)

Last edited by a moderator:

navycut81

Also just a small side note if you haven't already crunched the numbers you had said you wanted an AP platform
that $2050 add atleast another $2000-$5000 to that number just to have her in the air carrying a DSLR
Once you truly start adding up everything you need to do what you want youll crap your pants at the total dollar figure Oh ya and don't forget the crashes :eek: jk

NewGuy01

I figured on building this one slowly after the initial setup, doing fpv, gimble, dslr.. etc.. I think i might build a quad beater for training before I try doing anything to crazy. But the s900 is coming. Had already put the deposit in.. shold be here friday or saturday.. who knows.. maybe tomorrow. Still have to put it together.. and buya few other things.. hope I don't crash it right out the gate.

navycut81

Still have to put it together.. and buya few other things.. hope I don't crash it right out the gate.

Just take your time!!!!!!! Don't rush just to get it together and up in the air.
Give all your solder joints a good tug after they cool (don't blow on it to speed it up)
Pull out the multimeter and make it your "best friend" before putting power to any components (save yourself from the magic white smoke lol)
And ask questions if you don't know or are unsure about something and take pictures when asking the questions so you can get the right answer the first time.

There seem to be a lot of really helpful people on this forum who are more than willing to chime in with helpful info without calling you a noob and cutting you down.

Also if money is not such an issue I would get one of these to get a good grasp on LOS and FPV flight without any of the risk of crashing and spending hours on the bench as a result.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/multiro.../nano-qx-fpv-rtf-with-safe-technology-blh7200

the added benefit is you get the googles included that you can use with your big bird or to share with a friend while you fly if you buy another pair once you get more into the hobby, like say some hd dominators

NewGuy01

I appriciate the info. I look foward to posting a build as I go pics. I'm sure I will make mistakes that you pros can help me catch. Excited to start..

That little copter looks like fun. Might get one for practice with fpv till I setup the large one..

Thanks again. All info is appriciated

NewGuy01

It's going good. I have pics. Just need to find a place to host.. Headed to my shop.in a few mins. Will put up the pics..

NewGuy01

I finally got dropbox installed on computer and can put up pics. Now, its pretty standard S900 I'm guessing but i am curious as to what to do with the antenna cables hanging from the A2.. I have all I need to fly setup now except batteries.. and a charger... I was thinking a 16000 mah battery, but have not picked a brand or a charger, any suggestions? I eventually plan on getting 2 or 3 batteries... I also need to setup a gimble and camera with FPV. but taking a little time before I get that setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b9svdyydg6mbyr/20150119_223453.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jw45cec7fvndi0/20150119_223542.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxvq2w10nhvd5wd/20150119_224250.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufuy4oemukob4pa/20150120_174048.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z2cmbq0iyc79xt/20150120_174059.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dynwqgt0hotkj5f/20150120_181550.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6swicovx5erjjk/20150124_125900.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9mhhn2ickk4glz/20150124_125936.jpg?dl=0

Let me know what you all think, and if you see something wrong.

Still have not crashed it..

NewGuy01

Got my battery and took flight today. No crashes yet.. was worried with a 16000 mah battery with no counterweight on other side was way out of balance. but flew pretty nice.. All I did was hover and hold position landing and taking off. After 10 mins of flying I put it away untill tomorrow. Now i just got to get a gimble and camera... and FPV.. etc..