"Multirotor Stalking" Any have an issue with neighbors?

I had one neighbor come to my house and accuse me of stalking her/kids with my Multirotor.. I'm hovering over her house filming the sun going down till I aim the camera down to descend.. At that point she's getting rushed by my dogs so she can talk tell me about getting "lawyers" and laws this laws that.. She even asked if I work for the FBI.. Below is the raw vid of the event..

I even flew the multirotor back up and asked her to look at the tv to see if she can make out if people are people and not little specs..

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

I had one neighbor come to my house and accuse me of stalking her/kids with my Multirotor.. I'm hovering over her house filming the sun going down till I aim the camera down to descend.. At that point she's getting rushed by my dogs so she can talk tell me about getting "lawyers" and laws this laws that.. She even asked if I work for the FBI.. Below is the raw vid of the event..

I even flew the multirotor back up and asked her to look at the tv to see if she can make out if people are people and not little specs..

Yeah well maybe the fact you have a video titled "Government Spy in the Sky... lewl " shows you have little respect for other people and you do fly around over other private properties in the mentioned video. Just maybe the lady in question has seen you flying around in the manner of the video i mention and doesnt understand what you are up to. You do actually follow a car and watch it drive into its garage. Referring to the lady as a "crazy *****" in your video also shows a lack of respect and within the context of the other video to me it looks like you are the one who needs to pull his head in.

No sympathy from me, stop flying over other peoples private property, learn some respect.

How is flying 400' over someone's house have to do with stalking them? I named it that just for the hell of it, not saying I am a spy.. The camera can't even tell who they are nor what they look like.. Just learning how to fly this thing, not "stalking".. Following a car was my first time with fpv goggles and never tryied to follow a moving object.. Oh and she called herself the "crazu *****", I was jusy repeating what she said..

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i have video somewhere of my neighbor's daughter in her driveway cursing at me because I was out flying over my property. they called the police on me that day and when I showed the officers the video they went back to my neighbors' house and basically told them to pound sand (that's American slang for GFY). it got out of hand on that day but they learned I shoot video every time i fly so their plan to sue me for being a menace (could you see anyone calling little old me a menace?) backfired. tey can't sue me when I have better video documentation of what i'm doing than they do!

Stacky

How is flying 400' over someone's house have to do with stalking them? I named it that just for the hell of it, not saying I am a spy.. The camera can't even tell who they are nor what they look like.. Just learning how to fly this thing, not "stalking".. Following a car was my first time with fpv goggles and never tryied to follow a moving object.. Oh and she called herself the "crazu *****", I was jusy repeating what she said..

I didnt say you were stalking. What i am saying is there is a distinct lack of respect. BTW 400 ft up over residential properties is simply stupid. If you are learning to fly etc it might be smarter to go somewhere suitable. Flying 400 ft up over peoples properties where there may be kids etc around when you are in your words "just learning to fly" really isnt smart. We all crash, more when we are just learning, sort of like when you crashed your phantom.

I dont care if Bart bans me. *********thank God for the asterisk***********

FWIW, flying high over a residential area when you're just starting isn't the best idea. find an open area and stay low so if you have a problem you can recover or at least steer away from inhabited areas. the higher it is the farther away it will crash and the less likely you'll be to find whatever's left of it after the impact.

I didnt say you were stalking. What i am saying is there is a distinct lack of respect. BTW 400 ft up over residential properties is simply stupid. If you are learning to fly etc it might be smarter to go somewhere suitable. Flying 400 ft up over peoples properties where there may be kids etc around when you are in your words "just learning to fly" really isnt smart. We all crash, more when we are just learning, sort of like when you crashed your phantom.

I dont care if Bart bans me. *********thank God for the asterisk***********

FWIW, flying high over a residential area when you're just starting isn't the best idea. find an open area and stay low so if you have a problem you can recover or at least steer away from inhabited areas. the higher it is the farther away it will crash and the less likely you'll be to find whatever's left of it after the impact.

Ehh, no matter what hobby I have there's going to be an issue.. Eff this..

DJI F550 and DJIF450 for sale!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
There, there no dummy spitting please, a little respect goes a long way as does a quick risk analysis, where will it land if you lose a prop should give you a good starting point.

Cheers

Pete

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I had someone once tell me I was flying illegally over the big field on campus. Told her I was authorized to fly out there and he (and his girlfriend who probably put him up to the whole thing) called campus PD, I called the college president (it's a small community college) and in the end I got a nice slip of paper signed by him saying that I can fly on campus because it is for "educational purposes".

Langdale

"'tis Christmas and the time for good cheer to all men" (and cazy bitches)

Some people get paranoid about our multi rotors. I can quite clearly see my next door neighbour getting dressed in a morning without resorting to my quad but getting the step ladder into the bath so I can see out of the window creates scratches, which I'm having difficulty explaining to my wife.

Peter

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
My neighbour once asked me to stop flying on my own property. I apologised and stopped. Why make a fuss? I explained what I was doing and that I had a license, although I was just flying for fun, but he was still not impressed. You've got to live with these people so might as well live happily.

I can't wait to move to the middle of nowhere with no one around. I can finally start sunbathing naked again! :02.47-tranquillity: Oh, and fly of course!

cootertwo

Well, hang on..... After Christmas, when everybody and his uncle will have one. Probably be lot's of accidents, crashes, people trying to drop chit, etc. etc. on and on. "People being people".

SMP

Aye, +1 (Chuckling here, I put rubber feet on mine ;) ;) Too funny Langdale );)
Yeah well maybe the fact you have a video titled "Government Spy in the Sky... lewl " shows you have little respect for other people and you do fly around over other private properties in the mentioned video. Just maybe the lady in question has seen you flying around in the manner of the video i mention and doesnt understand what you are up to. You do actually follow a car and watch it drive into its garage. Referring to the lady as a "crazy *****" in your video also shows a lack of respect and within the context of the other video to me it looks like you are the one who needs to pull his head in.

No sympathy from me, stop flying over other peoples private property, learn some respect.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I think it's up to us RC flyers to be respectful and considerate of other people's feelings. While there are extremes on both sides of the issues, it's up to us to rise above. If we are upsetting a neighbor with neighborhood flying, try to reason/talk with them and if that doesn't work, maybe consider stopping. In the U.S., our privacy rights as individuals are being abused and taken away, not just by government, but by big businesses, magazines, the internet, etc. It's a touchy subject with no clear cut answers.

People are concerned and they have a right to be. I do a fair amount of testing in my back yard. I have a oversize lot and the back yard is surrounded by trees . I don't go above the tree line. I also talked to most of my neighbors to make sure they are ok with it. I tell them to let me know if it's an issue. If so, I'd probably quit.

Life is too short to feud with neighbors. I used to race motocross & enduro's. For fun, we did a lot of trail riding. I eventually quit racing but still wanted to trail ride, but it was getting harder to find places to ride. Push back on trail riding was the idiots who went flying by trail walkers and others out enjoying nature. Some of the riders had no concept of how they were interfering with a peaceful day out in the woods, mountains, down by a lake/ocean, or just sitting in your own back yard.. It's not hard to understand both sides of these issues.

In the case of MR's, we have a double whammy going. Privacy and noise, not to mention safety.

I personally think getting along with your neighbors is worth the effort. If you get in an argument over flying and filming in your neighborhood, I'm guessing that 9 out of 10 times you are going to lose, and if you win via the law, bullying, or just a nasty argument and intimidation, my guess is you won't be living in a friendly neighborhood. Good neighbors are a close third to family and friends. They can add to your quality of life.

I hope the majority of these issues get resolved with common sense instead of law makers and lawyers. Flying around the statue of liberty without permission and fighting with neighbors is a dead end fight from the MR side.

I'm talking in general terms here, not so much this specific event as I wasn't there to witness how this went down.

VIQuad

I think it's up to us RC flyers to be respectful and considerate of other people's feelings. While there are extremes on both sides of the issues, it's up to us to rise above. If we are upsetting a neighbor with neighborhood flying, try to reason/talk with them and if that doesn't work, maybe consider stopping. In the U.S., our privacy rights as individuals are being abused and taken away, not just by government, but by big businesses, magazines, the internet, etc. It's a touchy subject with no clear cut answers.

People are concerned and they have a right to be. I do a fair amount of testing in my back yard. I have a oversize lot and the back yard is surrounded by trees . I don't go above the tree line. I also talked to most of my neighbors to make sure they are ok with it. I tell them to let me know if it's an issue. If so, I'd probably quit.

Life is too short to feud with neighbors. I used to race motocross & enduro's. For fun, we did a lot of trail riding. I eventually quit racing but still wanted to trail ride, but it was getting harder to find places to ride. Push back on trail riding was the idiots who went flying by trail walkers and others out enjoying nature. Some of the riders had no concept of how they were interfering with a peaceful day out in the woods, mountains, down by a lake/ocean, or just sitting in your own back yard.. It's not hard to understand both sides of these issues.

In the case of MR's, we have a double whammy going. Privacy and noise, not to mention safety.

I personally think getting along with your neighbors is worth the effort. If you get in an argument over flying and filming in your neighborhood, I'm guessing that 9 out of 10 times you are going to lose, and if you win via the law, bullying, or just a nasty argument and intimidation, my guess is you won't be living in a friendly neighborhood. Good neighbors are a close third to family and friends. They can add to your quality of life.

I hope the majority of these issues get resolved with common sense instead of law makers and lawyers. Flying around the statue of liberty without permission and fighting with neighbors is a dead end fight from the MR side.

I'm talking in general terms here, not so much this specific event as I wasn't there to witness how this went down.

Well said. Completely agree 200%, Good philosophy to fly by