Multi-copter crashes into skyscraper video

rotary65

I'm an FPV pilot and even I can see the need for regulation to prevent this type of reckless flying in risky environments. Permits, insurance, safety plan and other restrictions at the least. I do suspect that at least some of this would be covered under existing laws in many jurisdictions.

The lower cost does open it up to a wider base, but I feel (hope) there are as many responsible people taking it up as irresponsible. I think that it's just as likely to find irresponsible wealthy people as less wealthy.

It's the naive yet otherwise responsible ones that we need to reach out to. These are primarily professional photographers with no previous R/C experience who simply want to get the shots within a modest budget. The reality is humbling once they get into it. The blatantly irresponsible ones simply need to be fined and prosecuted.

I think they might find themselves in hot water for that one if the right policeman reports back. Especially now some of the footage is out. As somebody once said of a microlight pilot I knew, balls the size of melons and a brain the size of a pea.

Pretty dumb for a multitude of reasons already mentioned. Why in the world did he keep climbing when it was spinning like that? He looked pretty nervous. I'll also add that keeping a proper fire extinguisher on site is a very good idea.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Dude looked pretty responsible to me, look how fast he called the authorities to report the accident :chargrined:. Amazing the window didn't shatter.

Dewster

Dude looked pretty responsible to me, look how fast he called the authorities to report the accident :chargrined:. Amazing the window didn't shatter.

lol. Yeah.... he looked liable and took responsibility. lol. I could just imagine how much one of those windows would cost to replace.

The glass on the high rises are pretty strong. I saw another video where the pilot was flying FPV and crashed into a skyscraper. Same effect: destroyed craft, undamaged window.

I am amazed that his frame appeared, for the most part, intact.

My XAircraft (frame) crash left splinters of carbon fiber tangled in wire. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

sim_io

what the hell was he expecting? This tool is climbing way too fast and doing 360s, its just like those typical holiday gift r/c heli youtube videos where a guy gets his first coaxial, bumps and bounces it off of walls until it lands on the poor cat.

Malcr001

Ive done my fair bit of ranting about this video on rcgroups so I'll leave it. I wonder if were find out who this guy is.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
While it's obvious that there are some questions surrounding the operation and security, I think that judgement of the guy's skill or experience are premature until we know what actually caused the failure. I thought the spiralling climb was part of the planned flight profile and not an indication that anything was wrong. Are you guys saying none of you can fly like that?

looks like the pilot just casualy makes a call on his mobile while the cam operator goes to rescue the remains then just kicks the lipos in to the gutter

Obviously you have never experience a lipo fire. What do you want him to do. Cradle it in his arms and ask it to stop burning? There's nothing you can do to stop a lipo fire until it burns itself out. The fuel and oxidant are contained in one nice little package. Best you could do is dump sand on it. And then there's no risk of it setting the gutter on fire, so why not?

The pilot appears to have immediately called the authorities. What else should he do that is more important than that? If he was jumping up and down while making the call, would that have been better?

As I said, obviously this is not great. But let's put the pitchforks and torches down for a moment, please.

Stacky

They were trying to photograph or film the tallest apartment building in NZ which is known as metropolis. It is situated in the exact opposite direction to where their multi flew and you can see pre flight the camera operator making hand movements as to the flight path. Its very very clear that he had no control from early on in the flight. The area in question is completely surrounded by high rise buildings and climbing and spinning at that speed would result in completely blurred imagery from that sort of yaw speed. The flight path was not part of the planned flight.

They broke the law here, they operated outside of even the most basic safety guidelines and once our CAA authorities see this will move even faster to regulate which might actually be a good thing. There are other pro outfits here which operate within the law and professionaly and they will suffer because of this sort of thing. One particular guy called Matt Wilmott from a company called virtuoso media here in NZ has been doing high end filming for a few years now and has made the effort to do everything via the authorities, he has all the local Auckland council permits and qualifications and it has cost him a decent sum of money to do so. Im wondering what he would make of this and the possible impact it might have on his work.

BTW its not the first time these two guys have crashed in a public space.

rwilabee

I didn't realize until I made it full screen that the pilot had FPV goggles on. I think I would have taken off, stayed at low level and made sure everything was ok and then put the goggles down. They were definately lucky they didn't hurt someone.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So we do know who they are? I think it's punishment enough for them to read this forum thread. I agree on one level that we are eager to point fingers but we are all at the mercy of other people's mistakes. What about that idiot who flew his parrot drone over the beef eaters at Buckingham palace? I have a feeling we have a VERY long road ahead of us in terms of making this legal. Indeed we are in the age of cheap electronics and anyone with a few hundred bucks can stick a camera in the air. The problem I see is that the only way to make it legal is to get certifications on the heli as well as the pilot's skills which would require HUGE amounts of additional precautionary senors, limiters and firmware to satisfy our government's safety boundaries. By the time one has paid the government enough to make all this possible, the end client will be looking at costs much closer to that of a REAL helicopter making this an even harder occupation to thrive from. And thats why we are ALL pissed off at this incident as it accelerates the inevitable for all of us. Most of us want to live in that gray area and find loop holes but reality is waiting just around the corner my friends.

Stacky

The parrot drone was a viral advert which had been done using actors and cost a small fortune to set up. Despite what it looks like its not done outside Buckingham palace.

These guys broke the local laws here and if found out could be prosecuted. So we already have laws in place here for this particular situation. The problem is these guys quite probably have no idea they broke any law.

I am 99% certain I know who this is and its not the first time they have lost a multi in a very dangerous situation.

shsober

You have a chance to cure ignorance with the willing participation of the unenlightened but you cannot cure stupid.

Stacky

I dont mind naming them. The company is called www.highspy.co.nz .Its a company funded by an Australian media outlet. The bald guy is called Fabio. I am pretty sure I am correct when I mention they have also in the past dumped a multi on our busiest motorway.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I didn't realize until I made it full screen that the pilot had FPV goggles on. I think I would have taken off, stayed at low level and made sure everything was ok and then put the goggles down. They were definately lucky they didn't hurt someone.

I assumed it was the camera operator with the goggles, and it was the pilot who was viewing in the 3rd person.

Maybe he left it in simple mode and forgot, or vice-versa. I'm guilty of having a few flights that looked like that, but luckily no buildings around! :D

I think you guys are over-reacting just a bit.. Maybe we should revoke his model aircraft licenses(this will probably require a license soon), make him pee in a cup, make him take training classes, make him do pre-flight checks, make him do daily preventative maintenance procedures on his heli, make him have designated landing/takeoff area, make him close the streets, make him wrap his heli with caution tape, the list could go on forever lol. I know we're all scared about the government cracking down and all, but over-regulation isn't the way to go either. There is a such thing as over-kill when it comes to safety... I would know that from working offshore in the oil industry.

It looked like a controlled crash to me anyway :shame:

Efliernz

Pete
NZ CAA is aware that this sort of thing is happening and thinks a law will stop it (just like it is illegal to drive a speeding car but it still happens).

I have been operating part-time commercial AP in NZ for over 5 years. I have OSH paperwork, orange safety jackets, cones, the works. I have flown with/for my local city council safely. There have been times where I have said it simply isn't safe to fly in that position and the best option is shooting from a full-size (which I also do).
These guys are going to make it impossible for us good guys to operate legally - no doubt.

NZ CAA have recently decided to start sorting a UAV Certification process that will involve me needing PPL exams and some flight experience (so I understand what the full-size guys do). They are going to have one category covering me (under 400' LOS) and including up to gps-guided pre-programmed survey high(er) altitude machines where NOTAMs and full-size aviation contact will be required. Frustrating for me, the little guy who is safely operating legally within the current aviation laws (as under 400' rc aircraft) in NZ.

At the end of the day, poor choices and bad piloting by idiots like this wont stop him... he will still fly in congested areas with disregard to safety no matter how many laws are in place...

Pete

nicwilke

Rite at the end, the bloke on the phone (giggle) calling Linda at droidworx to ask if what happened is covered by some type of warranty. LOL. I wonder what the office workers behind the panel of glass at impact thought.

Get off this guy's back, looks like he's learned a lesson. :) no one injured.

Stacky

Sorry Nik, these guys have done a bunch of things in the last year that are pretty bad. He didnt learn any lessons when he dumped a multi on to our busiest motorway nearly a year ago, he didnt heed any warnings when he flew 10 feet above a football crowd or when he flew inside a crowded vodafone office space or over workers at our busiest shipping port.

rotary65

There are laws to deal with this. If nothing else, it's jeopardizing public safety.

I sincerely doubt there may be ramifications for the professional community who follow the laws, buy permits, have insurance, set up secure perimeters and work with local authorities to ensure safety.

Guys like this are breaking laws and should be prosecuted. The only thing common between true professionals and these men is a multicopter, but drawing such a comparison would be like comparing a professional road crew to some guy who had enough money to buy an excavator and dug a whole in the middle of the road without having barriers and flag men.

As far as ramifications for recreational models, I doubt it. The same laws govern putting the public at risk and responsible recreational pilots don't fly over or around people in the middle of a
metropolitan downtown.

I certainly understand there are exceptions, but I think it is important to remember that laws exist and that there are legal consequences to dangerous behaviour.