MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) Poll

blushoes

Hi guys

Erm... dont know how to create a poll here, but I was wondering seeing some other person describing
they had crash after about 20 flights.

Made me think if there is a MTBF we could all establish, by pitching in numbers.

If someone knows how to make this post into a poll.. pls go ahead.

For me, my 1st zenmuse + s800 had a catastrophic crash after about 15 to 20 flights.
I can't quite say what was at fault. Plus pilot panic. Basically mine was meant to hover at 150m high, then suddenly shot up to 190m.
I tried lowering throttle to uncomfortably low but it was still rising (via iOSD telemetry), tried switching return to home, everything was a blur in about 10 seconds
and it came crashing down. was on FW 5.18

gtranquilla

RadioActive
For a better response please look for the forum tool to set up a poll..... I think most members are authorized to do that. The wording of the poll questions must be able to somehow distinguish between a system/setup/configuration issue and a MR controller/IMU/firmware issue otherwise poll results will be misleading. Not knowing anything about your skill level.......A high count on the number of successful flights speaks most highly of both the Pilot's pre-flight bench configuration skills and the hardware..... As far as the firmware..... that is a moving target!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I had to laugh when I read this thread. :) it seems like every multi-rotor that I've had crashed at one time or another. All of the crashes were due to prop failure. As far as crashes my craft due to flight system error = 0 (knock on wood).

My WKM is extremely reliable and has performed in a very predictable manner.

I've been following the threads on this forum (and on Youtube) about misbehaving S800 when combined with WKM. I think having that combo, especially after a crash, would break any and all confidence in the system. The earlier Flip of Death issue had me worried about my craft too. It seemed to primarily affect S800 owners. There are thousands of these flight systems out in the field. My WKM survived a prop break induced crash and still functions like new.

I guess a better poll would be for S800 owners and the mean time before failure. This will be an interesting poll to see.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Depends on which of my multis I'm flying, most of my APV craft have rarely if ever crashed, my aerobatic practice quad often crashes 2 or 3 times per battery, my FPV quads only if something breaks or I try flying through where I probably shouldn't.

In my case at least a large majority of the fall to earth events that weren't directly related to failed hardware were due to failed wetware in the pilot, dumb thumbs, brain fade, call it what you like... ;)

Ken

Dewster

This poor chap couldn't establish a mean time because his craft crashed on its first flight.

Youtube: http://youtu.be/neFXFZ4rHq0. unknown flight system.

i certainly know this walk. It's the walk of disgust and lost hope. Disgusted that so much money and work went down the drain. Lost hope because there's nothing you can do but accept that your craft is totalled. The only thing worse than that walk is the sheer panic when you start running to see if you craft caused property damage when it fell out of the sky.

I still get a little nervous when I put my craft in the sky. I haven't had control issues, but I know what props can do when they fail. I've even had to dodge small and large attacking birds. My question would simply be meantime before I crash for any reason.

blushoes

actually my hexa f550 on naza v1 hasnt crashed (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!) before.
must be over 50, if not 60 or 80 flights on it.

it is my first MR to test with intention to go into AP. running cheapo turnigy motors and escs.

blushoes

that reminds me of this other vid on youtube showing a cam operator / MR flying his heavy cam in the city (australia i think)
it lifted off rather fast too and crashed into a building. (speaking of which, is this the new default and only way that Naza V2 / FW 3.12 takes off? ie, no more pilot work but the craft just jumps off the ground?)

my concern for the aerial photo industry is that multirotors are making their way into photography and videography trade literature, magazines etc.
and they spin it such that its cutting edge, get that shot u want, etc etc...with no insight on the flyer experience and knowledge of flight control systems, hazards etc.