MRF No Clone Zone??

nicwilke

Here in Albury NSW, I went into the local hobby shop to get 6 servo extenders for my new hex. $8each??? I asked him why so high, and he said if I knew what he had paid for them, I'd think that the price was reasonable. Hobby king I went and got the lot with extras delivered for less than $20. I have a mortgage, child, Labrador (you know how much they eat?) and some things just come down to price. I am dead against products that directly copy exact replicas (like that Hemanthguru on RCG selling Droidworx AD8 clones for half the price).
I buy lots from hobby king, including batteries. 5 Lipos for the cost of one from my local hobby shop.

waht about all the people who wouldnt be able to afford to be in the hobby at all without places like hobbyking ??? its all ok for loaded folks to say how bad clones are , but some people have mortage kids wifey bills crap job and just want to have a little fun ? is that a crime ? like the post above states, almost everything is a clone nowadays.

I would not be in the hobby if it were not for hobbyking. I went into the local hobbyshop here in QLD aus, the guys knew litterally ZERO about multicopters. I wnet to buy a male to male servo connector wire and they said

" we've been getting lots of requests for those recently dont know why people would want them we dont do them , have this instead ( 4 bucks for a crap alterantive !) "

so it would have cost me 32 dollars for a crap alternative for simple M - M servo leads, which are like 2 bucks a PACK on HK. hobbyking is not a problem , its awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

jetbootz

yeah I concur on lipo's as well... LITERALLY 5 for the price of 1 when comparing HK to LHS. I dont mind paying 10% more to support local business... BUT 5 to 1 ???????? they have been smoking the digerydoo in Aus for far too long:tennis:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
yeah I concur on lipo's as well... LITERALLY 5 for the price of 1 when comparing HK to LHS. I dont mind paying 10% more to support local business... BUT 5 to 1 ???????? they have been smoking the digerydoo in Aus for far too long:tennis:

Crazy thing here is that some big dollar items are similar or better prices than other places. Bought a 14SG locally and for the same price as getting one delivered from overseas I got a Futaba $90 top line Tx case included.

One of my local shops only a few metric screws yet the wall are filled with lots of rubbish models.

Pete

nicwilke

Good point, no. Get a list happening of cloned items up with retailers that sell them. I do care, but don't knock hobbyking as I get lots of cheap things there.

Would you guys feel good about buying a stolen stereo from the flea market? Sure it's cheap.

dazzab

Is cloning actually illegal? I don't know what laws apply but seems to me if you don't have a patent on something then it's fair game isn't it? May not be ethical of course but my question is, aren't there current laws to deal with all this?

Of course, there's a simple answer to this and that's just making hardware and software 'open'. We all know how successful open source software has been and 3DR seem to be doing fine with an open hardware platform. They sell the knowledge, support (although most will argue with that point) and they move ahead much faster than the cloners can.

Users will vote with their wallets. That's really not an issue I think this forum should be concerned about or use to vet who can participate assuming that this forum is about helping those who fly multi rotors.

dazzab

Would you guys feel good about buying a stolen stereo from the flea market? Sure it's cheap.
What stolen property are we buying if we buy a cloned product? I don't think your comment is relevant to the discussion. But that's my opinion and I'm sure you and others will disagree. That's OK, I respect your opinion and it's interesting to have the discussion and see what people think about the topic.

Hi nicwilke, we have forever been ripped off in Australia with almost everything you buy here (ever since I can remember and thats a long time).

Compare car prices between Aust and the USA, HiFi stereo equipment, TV sets, food, clothing, shoes, a meal at a restaurant or the pub (I can enjoy a good meal and couple drinks in Europe for $25-$30, Aust $50-$60 etc etc. the list is just too long.

The importers, wholesalers, agents and retailers are not happy unless they can double their money on an item and then they cry poor. The market here is not open, its restricted no genuine competition.

Refrigerant gas since the Carbon Tax, has trebled in price, at trade in costs about $120 / kg in New Zealand $20 / kg in Asia $3 to $5 / kg. The restrictive practices in Aust are holding people to ransom, only since internet shopping / purchasing has become more main stream is there a chance of buying items at fair prices.

Let Harvey Norman the billionaire ***** as much as he likes, I do not give a ****.

Just my two bobs worth, Regards - bruce

billmac

Compare car prices between Aust and the USA, HiFi stereo equipment, TV sets, food, clothing, shoes, a meal at a restaurant or the pub (I can enjoy a good meal and couple drinks in Europe for $25-$30, Aust $50-$60 etc etc. the list is just too long.

Hi
Iwould like to know where i can get a good meal and a couple of drinks in Europe for $25-$30.I was out last weekend and it cost me £200 for lunch for 4 of us.

nicwilke

Mate, as a designer, photographer and video guy, I find us Aussies pay through the teeth for Apple and Adobe products too.

Hi nicwilke, we have forever been ripped off in Australia with almost everything you buy here (ever since I can remember and thats a long time).

The importers, wholesalers, agents and retailers are not happy unless they can double their money on an item and then they cry poor. The market here is not open, its restricted no genuine competition.

Refrigerant gas since the Carbon Tax, has trebled in price, at trade in costs about $120 / kg in New Zealand $20 / kg in Asia $3 to $5 / kg. The restrictive practices in Aust are holding people to ransom, only since internet shopping / purchasing has become more main stream is there a chance of buying items at fair prices.

Let Harvey Norman the billionaire ***** as much as he likes, I do not give a ****.

Just my two bobs worth, Regards - bruce

Stacky

You Aussies dont know how lucky you are. You live in one of the wealthiest countries on earth, its gorgeous, the weather is awesome and you have arguably the best lifestyle and quality of life on the planet.

Mate, as a designer, photographer and video guy, I find us Aussies pay through the teeth for Apple and Adobe products too.

nicwilke

You Aussies dont know how lucky you are. You live in one of the wealthiest countries on earth, its gorgeous, the weather is awesome and you have arguably the best lifestyle and quality of life on the planet.

We also eat the animals on our coat of arms. Emu and Kangaroo.

Australian life is pretty good though, can't complain, weather today was about 25C and no wind. Had 22 flights on the hex.

jetbootz

yeah I concur guys in Aus....

I used to live in Europe until 2006, when I emmigrated to Aus. I was utterly astounded at how expensive everything is down here, not just hobby stuff, but as you point out EVERYTHING. I work in retail and we were briefed about trends recently in Aus , the 2 extremes quoted were Harvery Normam - down 11 % last year, and internet purchases - up 25 %.

I went into the sony centre in Robina to do what retailers hate the most " showrooming" where you go and get hands on with a product you have found online to jsut be sure its what you want and then bail home and order it.. they guy wanted 1875 AUD for an "on sale!" price for the PJ-760V camcorder... I had a play, he said go to the till, I said sorry I dont mind paying 10% more than online but I can get it for 1125 DELIVERD by Courier from hongkong ! Ausies have been conned for years and its high time they got a wake up call. These huge shopping malls are becoming more and more ghost towns ( I should know I work in one 6 days a week ) They will die in 5 - 10 years. Auspost is making huge investments in parcel storage and distribuition at present, they actually are having trouble keeping up. My courier delivery driver was working 7 days all day over xmas , he said he's never seen it so busy, well thats because the internet and internet shopping has gone from the nerd to the granny and everyone inbetween !

I will continue to buy from hobbyking whenever possible, the money I save from shopping locally I will put towards the mortgage ! I will continue to vote with my wallett and have no problem with HK or any other retailer that offers good service and cheap prices online. screw Ausi retailers, they know nothing about multicopters anyway !

I buy clothing in the USA ( via my brother ) electronics from hong kong via the net , hobby stuff from anywhere thats cheap , and my goto place after I decide on making a purchase is 1st ebay , then a price comparsion site and then the best deal online.

I only buy food and petrol in aus, and thats because I have no choice. If I could I would buy those online as well !

jetbootz

but hey like Stacky siad its heller nice down here. off to fly in the clouds tomorrow :)View attachment 11231

Attachments

• DSC_0951.jpg
    DSC_0951.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 308

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
I like many on here and elsewhere dont agree with clones and knock offs ripped off ideas etc

but its a fact of life

the only way to beat them is with competetive or realistic pricing

I hear so many people talk about R&D costs ie reasearch and development its a bit of a joke most of the time

R&D is like proffesional job qualifications training end expirence
If you are highly qualified and want to start a buisness you cant jump streight in and charge super inflated prices you wouldnt last 5mins you have to be competetive and charge competetive prices and all the costs of training and qualifications and expirence etc have to sit on the back burner for a while they will come back to you slowly and over time with success
just like R&D costs you need confidence in the product to reap the costs back over time
jump in with an over inlfated price for a product and it wont sell in comes the CLONES and KNOCK OFFS
we as people are always looking for the best price we can afford thats what drives marketing

Its a lot harder to do this nowadays due to the economy and general costs of living etc in the western world

but if you can keep the costs down and narrow the price margin between the genuine product and the CLONE the genuine product will out sell the CLONE everytime

JUMPED UP PRICES just feed the CLONE wars

i could go on but i think we all get the idea

keith

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

The one thing that everyone forgets with respect to buying cheaper online from China is just how much damage is being done to our own economies. No taxes earned, no jobs supported etc. The massive amount of money flowing out of countries to China in the form of online sales with no benefit to the local economies is quite frightening.

I dont buy the whole cost of living argument. We live far better than we did 30 years ago, we actually have more disposable income. A family car 30 years ago cost more than the average yearly salary but had a tiny fraction of the features and abilities of a modern car. On top of that a new family car is now just under the average salary.

Buying online is great, I do it all the time but there is going to be a price to pay at some point. I dont know how govts are going to solve this problem.

dazzab

The one thing that everyone forgets with respect to buying cheaper online from China is just how much damage is being done to our own economies. No taxes earned, no jobs supported etc. The massive amount of money flowing out of countries to China in the form of online sales with no benefit to the local economies is quite frightening.

Spot on. All those people complaining about how expensive it is to live in Australia need to understand that if they want things cheap from China the cost of that is giving up your four weeks paid vacation every year (Americans will find this hard to believe), your cheap medical coverage, your superannuation (pension) and the ability to access higher education for your kids. Every time we shop overseas (and I do it just like everyone else) you can kiss somebody's job goodbye.

It's already happened in the motorcycle industry. No one buys accessories locally because local businesses can't compete. And it's not their fault. They have to pay local rates for labour and pay large taxes to do business. here.

So, after we all loose our jobs who will be left to buy the Chinese products?

jetbootz

@Dazzab

you are right buddy. There are so many reasons we are being forced to shop online in Aus. Local retailers ( I'm one actually ) are forced to pay as you said local labour rates / taxes.. well if the communist dictatorship down here in Aus didnt impose such huge strict business stiffling measures then prices would be lower and retail would be competative. But instead they trudge along in the past thinking they can impose all this on us and aussies will still shop locally. Well we see it every day, people come in and ask for a prescription for their glasses and then go order online... I dont blame them either.....even though it hurts me financially. These closed systems of econonies like the past prior to the interent need to catch up. Let us pay the market rate for labour, let us trade competativley ! Maybe in after Sept this year things might get a little better!

Last edited by a moderator:

So which system is best? Capitalism is one man exploiting another...... Communism is the exact opposite. ;-)

@Dazzab

you are right buddy. There are so many reasons we are being forced to shop online in Aus. Local retailers ( I'm one actually ) are forced to pay as you said local labour rates / taxes.. well if the communist dictatorship down here in Aus didnt impose such huge strict business stiffling measures then prices would be lower and retail would be competative. But instead they trudge along in the past thinking they can impose all this on us and aussies will still shop locally. Well we see it every day, people come in and ask for a prescription for their glasses and then go order online... I dont blame them either.....even though it hurts me financially. These closed systems of econonies like the past prior to the interent need to catch up. Let us pay the market rate for labour, let us trade competativley ! Maybe in after Sept this year things might get a little better!