Moving from 3S setup to 6S

Des

Thanks for the info Javier,
I'm in Australia, but can source Tiger props OK. I have carbon fibre on my quad and they are awesome. Full build of the hex starts this weekend.
cheers

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Thanks Des, everything straight from 6S. If you plan to use LED´s for night flying you´ll need a BEC to power them o a separate 3S lipo.
The LEDs (more precisely, that piece that actually shines) does not care at all about voltage as long as it's more than the forward bias voltage. They only care about the current. You connect them in series with a resistor to get the right current. A LED with 3 volt bias voltage will get its 20 mA operating current from a 3S battery with a 400 ohm resistor. If you use 6S you'll need 1 kohm.

However, such things as LED-stripes usually comes with integrated resistors. So in that case you'll need a BEC (or a matching resistor for voltage division).

Des

That totally makes sense now thank you. I am planning on some LED's and the DJI 3D gimbal and FPV set up so the whole BEC thing will be stage 2 for me.
On another note (HELP...anyone) but I am only 30 minutes into my Tarot 680 Pro build and was at the point of mounting the DJI E 600 motors on the carbon fibre mounting plates, when I tested the bolts that come with the motors to find they don't seat on the size hole of the plates from Tarot. (See pic) Being very new to this I would really appreciate some advice. I guess go buy different bolts or drill out the holes in the plate??? I am loathe to do anything until some peeps who know much better than me, lend some advice.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 22867

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 273

AEA737

I´m running into some trouble fitting the Tiger 12x4 props to the E600 motor. As you see in the pics the prop fits fine with the 5mm shaft but the cover that Tiger provides is 4mm to suit their motors.
I tried to ditch the cover and use a prop washer and a 5mm nut, but they will only screw to the CCW motors, since the shafts are made for self tightening props.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Javier

Attachments

• IMG_7292.JPG
    IMG_7292.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_7293.JPG
    IMG_7293.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 237

Des

Hi everyone,
my new Tarot 680Pro with the following kit is now complete and has had a very successful first test flight. Phew! Thanks for the posts and advice. Will now be adding the DJI H3 and GoPro 3+ over the next few days. Will post some pics as soon as that's all done.
The build is as follows:
  • Tarot 680 Pro
  • DJI E600's
  • Nava M
  • Ground Station for iPad
  • iOS Mini
  • 6S 4500mAh battery
First flight was extremely smooth, stable and very responsive. Got over 15 minutes flight time and didn't reach first low battery warning level. Whole rig, minus gimbal and GP weighs in at 2,586grms so plenty of headroom for planned NEX 5N and larger gimbal.
About to swap out all connectors to XT60's and tidy up a few cable positions, but very happy.
Des

AEA737

I have already installed the 12x4 Tiger CF props and the results are disappointing. I have made two consecutive 16 min flights with the standard DJI props and with the Tigers and the results in mAh consumed are almost identical, 50 mAh difference. These props are not worth their price.View attachment 23290View attachment 23291

Attachments

• IMG_7569.JPG
    IMG_7569.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_7581.JPG
    IMG_7581.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 383

Des

Hi eskil,
I thought the carbon fibre might have been better. What a pity, but thanks for the heads up.
Here are a couple of not great pics of the build so far. Still to add H3 and FPV, but getting everything sorted before then and some cable tidying to complete.
Last night we flew for 21 minutes on the S6 4500mHa and didn't hit the alarm so pretty happy with the standard props. Been using carbon fibre on the quad and they certainly made a huge difference on that build, but I think I'll stick with the DJI for now.
cheers
View attachment 23302View attachment 23303

Attachments

• front_view.png
    front_view.png
    856.2 KB · Views: 489
  • top_view.png
    top_view.png
    865.4 KB · Views: 486

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Hi eskil,
I thought the carbon fibre might have been better. What a pity, but thanks for the heads up.
I did not write anything about no props. Anyhow, I understand that it is dissapointing that the carbon fibre propellers did not match your expectations. As a comfort I think that even if they are not more efficient, they should still be more durable.

What is the difference in weight between standard props and the Tiger props?

Des

Sorry eskil,
I got mixed up. I was replying to a post from AEA737. Whoops. He tried the CF as replacements for the standard DJI ones and didn't like them.
The carbon fibre on my quad were, from memory, about 60% of the weight of the plastic. Mainly though they were much better balanced and reduced vibration a lot.
Sorry for the mix up.
cheers

AEA737

Sorry eskil,
I got mixed up. I was replying to a post from AEA737. Whoops. He tried the CF as replacements for the standard DJI ones and didn't like them.
The carbon fibre on my quad were, from memory, about 60% of the weight of the plastic. Mainly though they were much better balanced and reduced vibration a lot.
Sorry for the mix up.
cheers

I liked them Des, but they are not worth their price. I didn´t see any improvement in flight times, but my craft flies very well with them. I´ll weight them down to see if there is a difference.