Moving from 3S setup to 6S

Des

Any help will be most welcome. My dilemma (and lack of knowledge) revolves around this. I successfully built a Quad and have now started the build of a Tarot 680 Pro. I am using the DJI E600 pops and Esc's and so have moved to a 22.2v 6S battery.
My question is what to do about the DJI stuff I am moving over from my decommissioned quad to the hex.
Naza M
PMU
IOS-D mini
Flight controller etc.
All of these on the quad currently run off a 3S 11.1v battery. Do I need to set up a BEC??? I really don't know and would love some thoughts from you guys. Please.
Thanks
Des

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Des and welcome to the site!

I've also got a NAZA based build going and the solution is to run the 6S power directly to the OMY and from there it will go where it needs to go via the NAZA's network of wires.

Double check the specs for the NAZA but I'm pretty sure it says you can use 3S to 6S power and that power is applied into the red and black wires going to the PMU.

Does that help?

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
You may need a BEC if you're going to have an FPV setup or a gimbal on there. Those things typically require 12V or 5V. But the DJI gear can all run off of 6S as long as you hook up the PMU correctly. I run just such a setup. But you probably need some kind of power distribution board for the ESCs. Mine has a two built-in BECs which I use for my FPV gear and gimbal. HobbyKing sells one similar to what I use. It works fine.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Distribution_Board_and_Dual_UBEC_In_One.html

Bartman

that's a pretty trick little board! never saw it before but might have to give it a try.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
that's a pretty trick little board! never saw it before but might have to give it a try.
I've been using an eBay-purchased version of the board, and it works great. I use the 12V tap for my whole FPV system (Tarot gimbal, flight cam, vTX) and the 5V to charge my GoPro in flight. :cool:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
You may need a BEC if you're going to have an FPV setup or a gimbal on there. Those things typically require 12V or 5V. But the DJI gear can all run off of 6S as long as you hook up the PMU correctly. I run just such a setup. But you probably need some kind of power distribution board for the ESCs. Mine has a two built-in BECs which I use for my FPV gear and gimbal. HobbyKing sells one similar to what I use. It works fine.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Distribution_Board_and_Dual_UBEC_In_One.html
That's a slick little board. Wish I had had that in hand three months ago. Thanks for the link!

Me too. If only HK would place stock in their "European" warehouse!:(

Des

Thanks so much everyone. Finally some clear and good advice I can rely on. You won't believe how much better it makes me feel about this build. Fantastic. Will keep you posted if you're interested in how it goes. E600's all arrived last night. Main board is already prepped so next phase feels doable now that I have your advice. Thank you.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Thanks so much everyone. Finally some clear and good advice I can rely on. You won't believe how much better it makes me feel about this build. Fantastic. Will keep you posted if you're interested in how it goes. E600's all arrived last night. Main board is already prepped so next phase feels doable now that I have your advice. Thank you.
Please DO keep us posted on the build. I for one am mulling over building a variation of the F550 using the E600 power system from DJI. Yeah, I realize I will need extended arms!

Des

Thanks Rocketman. Quick update. The DJI E600 kit arrived yesterday along with a 6S 4500mha 30C battery. The real surprise was just how enormous the ESC's are. The are huge. They don't fit in the pocket under the motor mount on the Tarot 680 Pro arms, which others I have seen posted do. Will just cable tie them on.
Spreadsheet for the build has everything listed by weight and total build weight with gimbal and GPro3 is currently at 2.3Kgs. The E600's are rated at 600- 8000grams per rotor with 6S battery. You can run 4S on these as well. That's all I've got for now. Thanks for the interest.
F550 with E600's would be very cool I think.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Thanks Rocketman. Quick update. The DJI E600 kit arrived yesterday along with a 6S 4500mha 30C battery. The real surprise was just how enormous the ESC's are. The are huge. They don't fit in the pocket under the motor mount on the Tarot 680 Pro arms, which others I have seen posted do. Will just cable tie them on. <<snip>>
Seen this vid?

Bartman

calling the wires on the ESC's the "max safe length" is a little too conservative, even the Castle rep quotes roughly 12" which is longer than any ESC wire I've ever seen.

i suspect there are a lot of heli's out there flying (I've had a few myself) with longer wires to the ESC's yet we don't hear much of failures. Not saying it's good to do but I suspect there is more wiggle room in there than we acknowledge. @econfly; has done research on this, maybe he'll chime in

bart

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

Here is the thread where I discussed the issue:

http://multirotorforums.com/threads/escs-and-extended-power-wires-should-we-add-capacitors.19336/

A 680 sized frame is about 27 inches in diameter (motor-to-moter), so leaving room for the center plate, the ESC itself, etc., I can't imagine the total ESC power wire length could be over 12" and is probably much less no matter how it's setup.

What matters is the inductance along the total power path, so just be efficient in the rest of the build: extend ESC power wires only as much as necessary, limit the length of wire from the battery lead to the distribution board, and keep the ESC power wires tight together or twisted.

Everything should be fine, but given that this is a 6s build with a 6s max rated ESCs there is more potential for trouble. Just to be safe, check the ESC and capacitor temperatures after flight. If the capacitor temp is in spec there is most likely nothing to worry about.

Des

Yeah I have thanks. I've been following CPO for a while now and have used some of his tips in the start of the build so far. I'm keen to keep the ESC's under the motors using the short wires already installed. Will probably do it that way to start with an see what it's like.
thanks

AEA737

Please DO keep us posted on the build. I for one am mulling over building a variation of the F550 using the E600 power system from DJI. Yeah, I realize I will need extended arms!

Hi Gary.
Here are some pics of my F550 with the E600 that just flew for the first time this morning. Flying weight is 3,2 Kilos with a 880 gram 6000mAh 6S Lipo. So I have another 400 grams of extra capacity for a bigger lipo to be at 3,6 Kilos recommended for the E600 system (600 grams per motor). I flew 16 minutes with the 6000 mAh lipo and the standard DJI props. Let´s see if I can get better flight times with Tiger 12x4 carbon fibre props. It flies effortlessly with lots of power to spare.
View attachment 22800View attachment 22801View attachment 22802View attachment 22803

Attachments

• IMG_7272.JPG
    IMG_7272.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_7273.JPG
    IMG_7273.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_7274.JPG
    IMG_7274.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 479

Des

Wow AEA737 - great job. Nice and neat. I am about to build a Tarot Pro with the E600's and am wondering, is the DJI PMU taking power straight from the 6S battery?
Also please keep me posted if you source the Tiger props and let me know how they go. Awesome.

AEA737

Thanks Des, everything straight from 6S. If you plan to use LED´s for night flying you´ll need a BEC to power them o a separate 3S lipo.
I bought my Tiger props locally in Spain. I´ll let you know if there is a significant performance increase.

Javier