Movie Maker Issue

Topflight

Just got done putting together a movie, using video, stills and aerial pictures. Spent a month on this project using Imovies (Mac). The person I'm making this for wants to use it on his TV. Video turned out great. I then burnt it IDVD and the quality of the movie really is lousy. I've read multiple forums, and it seems that going to a DVD will never get a high quality product, which my customer expects. My question is, can I copy the project to my desktop, then put it on a SD card and somehow use it on another medium so I get high quality video?

skyranger

Just got done putting together a movie, using video, stills and aerial pictures. Spent a month on this project using Imovies (Mac). The person I'm making this for wants to use it on his TV. Video turned out great. I then burnt it IDVD and the quality of the movie really is lousy. I've read multiple forums, and it seems that going to a DVD will never get a high quality product, which my customer expects. My question is, can I copy the project to my desktop, then put it on a SD card and somehow use it on another medium so I get high quality video?

Hi...I do a lot of video editing and DVD dubbing on my PC and although not familiar with the iMovie system...I deal with resolution issues along the way, too and I looked up this thread at the Apple Support forum...maybe it will help:

"Try going into your home/library/preferences folder and deleting the 'com.apple.imovie' and 'com.apple.idvd' preference files. Do this while iMovie and iDVD are not running. Also, instead of exporting from iMovie, save a .mov file, then open iDVD and create your DVD by importing that file. Create a 'Disk Image' in iDVD rather that burning directly to a DVD blank. You can then check the result using 'DVD Player' to see if the problem is in the transcoding or burning. Remember all DVD's are SD media not HD, that is 640 or 720 x 480 pixels, or about 0.3 megapixels, so your DVD might not look too great on a computer screen or HD TV.

Topflight

Hi...I do a lot of video editing and DVD dubbing on my PC and although not familiar with the iMovie system...I deal with resolution issues along the way, too and I looked up this thread at the Apple Support forum...maybe it will help:

"Try going into your home/library/preferences folder and deleting the 'com.apple.imovie' and 'com.apple.idvd' preference files. Do this while iMovie and iDVD are not running. Also, instead of exporting from iMovie, save a .mov file, then open iDVD and create your DVD by importing that file. Create a 'Disk Image' in iDVD rather that burning directly to a DVD blank. You can then check the result using 'DVD Player' to see if the problem is in the transcoding or burning. Remember all DVD's are SD media not HD, that is 640 or 720 x 480 pixels, or about 0.3 megapixels, so your DVD might not look too great on a computer screen or HD TV.

Thanks Skyranger. I'll give it a try.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!

Not sure where you got the info that DVD's are SD cos that is just not right, they can be pretty much any quality you want including very HD, as in 1920x1080, sounds more like he just has the settings at a low level.

Pete

Topflight

What movie editor are you using and does it include a good DVD program?

Not sure where you got the info that DVD's are SD cos that is just not right, they can be pretty much any quality you want including very HD, as in 1920x1080, sounds more like he just has the settings at a low level.

Pete