Mounting LED strobes on my quad...looking for advice.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hello all.

I'm currently mulling over mounting two LED strobes on the forward arms of my quad. Here is a link to the device I am pondering:
http://www.flytron.com/light-systems/99-strobon-navigation-strobe-light.html

I'd like advice from anyone that's willing to give it on how to physically mount this to my machine. Since I have a DJI F450, I was thinking of somehow mounting them on the points of the two forward arms below the motors (I guess on the little stub that acts like miniature legs.

Just not sure how to go about it. Also, if anyone has a better idea or link than the one I've posted here, of course I'm all ears. Thanks!

Edit: Just saw this video by @fltundra . So you installed these things? Can you control them On/Off from the Tx?

Last edited by a moderator:

AzViper

Is there a possibility of removing the LED from the board, mount the board within the center section of the quad then solder the wiring needed to the board and LED so that you could place just the LED out under the motors.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Is there a possibility of removing the LED from the board, mount the board within the center section of the quad then solder the wiring needed to the board and LED so that you could place just the LED out under the motors.

I don't know. But then there's the post from @Toymaker that shows a different option.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I was looking for a remote control board without the LED's. I found this board that they sell also. This way the strobing will be simultaneous on the two led's
http://www.flytron.com/light-systems/229-strobon-se-navigation-strobe-controller.html
Yeah, I saw that the other day and initially discarded the idea because I thought it would be too much work. But on second thought this seems to be the best option. I'm not clear how this one board drives two separate strobes, however.

Correction (again): Just watched this video from the same company. It appears this little board can drive more than one LED. Guess all I would have to do is build a Y-cable to connect to the 2-pin pads (output) and then string each LED to its appropriate arm. Hmmmm....

Edit: Then I just saw this link for a strobe kit that would have been just perfect, UNTIL I noticed that there is no control from the Tx....damn!
http://www.rc-lights.com/products/RCL5491.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Seven

Rocketman

Toymaker

Crashologist
I haven't installed one yet. I'm assuming it's like you said with parallel wiring. Sorry not more help. They suggest 4-6VDC. You can't run more than 2 LED's on 6 volts in series. They say you can run up to 5.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I haven't installed one yet. I'm assuming it's like you said with parallel wiring. Sorry not more help. They suggest 4-6VDC. You can't run more than 2 LED's on 6 volts in series. They say you can run up to 5.
Yeah, ok. I ordered mine a few days ago and am still waiting for it. My plan was to just do what they suggest and use the Rx as the voltage source. I just wanted to install two LEDs (one on each "forward" arm) instead of four so I wasn't too concerned about pulling too much from the Rx. Maybe I should be??

I also have a nifty little device (DC-DC buck stepdown adjustable converter) that I could use instead of the Rx, or maybe even just a BEC. Anyway, still not sure how I'm going to do all this hence all my silly "how did ya all do this" questions.