Motors For a Hehxacopter

AEA737

What is your planned total weight? If it´s around 3.6 Kilos you can use the DJI E600 (600 grams per motor lift capability) propulsion systems that comes with ESC, motors and propellers for a good price. Or you can wait for the new E800 (800 grams per motor lift capability) that will be released soon.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hi, i am looking to build a hexacopter and i am building it to carry a full DSLR camera. I have picked out my frame and it can with a DSLR gimbal. I would like to be able to fly well with the camera on it. I will put the link for my frame below. i need to know what motors i should use. i have never done anything like this before please help.
Frame link:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=55889

Thanks
Ethan
Welcome Ethan. First things first: Have you ever flown a MR or any type of RC vehicle before?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
That frame would probably struggle with a DSLR and gimbal. The arms look to be 16mm and the max prop size is 10-13 inches.

I’d be looking for something that would allow you to run 15” props and has 25mm booms.
with the 10 - 13” limited prop size you will need to run lower KV motors with will most likely be not quite as efficient as a rig that can spin 15 - 16” props with some lover KV motors.

Also... a “DSLR” which mostlikely would be a GH4 is around $1600+ , you going to trust that to a 16mm boomed airframe?

SamaraMedia

Maybe it would be wise to start with the frame you linked to and throw a GoPro and H3-3D under it to get used to the difference in size and handling compared to the 180blade QX. The QX is great to learn on but jumping from that to a 680 or the 810 Sleepy suggested is a bit drastic. As he also states, flying a $1600 + DSLR, that can be painful if something goes wrong. Add to that the cost of a decent gimbal for a DSLR is another $1500 + a 3 axis controller, another $300-$500 depending on the brand, Zenmuse can run you $2500. That's an ambitious build for having only flown a 180blade QX. You might be better off with a 450 quad and GoPro to start with, hate to see a big investment go down the drain if things don't work out as planned. Baby steps are better than a sprint.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yea my brain didn’t even register the OP’s experience. Good advice jwoike. I just read the “wanted results” and saw the frame and knew that was not going to work. Just the flex on that small of a frame with the weight of a DSLR and Gimbal would = unusable footage.

Shelipso

Hi Ethan, not disagreeing with what SleepyC and jwoike have said, I am planning to build a new Hexa to carry a mirror less camera. My system will weight about 4.7kg all included. I am planning to use Tiger Motor 3510-25 (360) with 14x4.8 props and 30amp ESCs. With a 6s 12000mah lips, I should have about 17min flight.