Motor, ESC Temprature

teecee

Doing my first test flights of my Carboncore H6 with Z15-5D Gimbal and 5D MKIII (24mm lens). Flight tests without gimbal and camera have gone great. Had about 20 so far. Also flew with lead weight and ran all the numbers in eCalc and all seemed good ( http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?16397-A-Million-Questions&p=142987#post142987 ). Today with camera and gimbal it weighs just over 17lbs. I flew inside (I have a big house) until first level LED blinked at 4 minutes. Checked temp on ESCs and motors. They seemed HOT. Not too hot to touch but... How hot should they get? Should I wait between flights to let them cool? Though eCalc seems to say I have enough power and lift I am terrified of a failure with that camera and gimbal in there.

I will check the temp with a temp gun next flight...

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated as this is my first real build and I don't want to FU.

TC

jes1111

"Too hot to touch" starts at about 50 degrees C - so your ESCs would seem to be okay. My own "limit" is 65 degrees but I've never measured more than 55. Don't forget to check the temperatures of wires, connectors, etc. too. Also, of course, final ESC temperature will depend on the ambient, so extra vigilence in summer.

philg

I have a quad with Avroto 2814 motors,motors and esc`s measure about 26-30 deg c after 20min flight.

Quinton

I am at the same stage, I have been flying a SKYJIB 6ti T-Motor 3515-15 (400) with 15x5 Tiger Props.
My 5D Zen will be here this week, so I changed it into the SKYJIB Super which changes the booms from 410mm to 500mm which allows me to put upto 17" props on.
Looking at ecalc all is well with 17" as long as I select motor cooling (good) no idea what good or medium actually mean, so I will be going down the trial and error route (be it a costly way to do things) as the 17x5.8 props I have may generate too much heat but my throttle @hover shows as 46% so 16" may be the way to go for me.

E-calc is a great tool, but the only real way to find out is to try it and see what happens.
Well keeping fingers crossed too may also help :)

Also just noticed the futaba transmitter you had, get your lipo telemetry set up on that, its only a few dollar cable you need, it is a real life saver, never rely on the DJI indicators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksails

So would 35°C for esc temp and 42°C for motors be acceptable ranges? That seems to be what I'm getting on my micro y6 carrying a gopro