Motor Choice?

TR1PL3D

Hello,

I am having troubles deciding what motors to choose for my Tarot FY680 Pro build, I am using extended arms to accommodate larger props.

I estimate my AUW not to exceed 4.2kg, will initially be using a GoPro but will be changing to a Sony NEX soon.

I dont know if I have my maths correct, but at 4.2kg I will need 1540g of thrust at 100% throttle on each motor to hover. This is based on the following equation.

AUW x 2.2 / 6.

So 4200 x 2.2 = 9240 / 6 = 1540g.

I have been looking at 580KV motors, either Tiger Motor or SunnySky.

But there are so many options that I really dont know which direction to go.

I dont mind spending good money, but need to know that I am buying the right motors for my setup.

I have thought about going 4S with the 580KV motors, but also have been considering going 6S with lower KV motors.

What would you do?

genesc

I am new at all this but I would just guess that you will want all the power you can muster. Thrust to carry your payload. Have you run your choices through ECalc yet? I probably am missing your point and hopefully a Pro will chime in.

Best of Luck

Gene

Old Man

Tiger and Sunny Sky are one and the same, just re-branded. Look also at KDE. After you review all the numbers select the one that provides the most thrust at a higher RPM for the current used. That RPM value is one of the items that will determine how well your FC stabilizes the aircraft. Larger props do not provide the fastest response reaction, and fast response is needed for the most effective flight control, especially at low RPM. It's part of the equation many miss. It becomes extremely important when the wind starts moving air around. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi TR1PL3D, building one of these myself at the moment, not so much necessarily for fast response (locked in type flying that you get with smaller props) but am interested in endurance. Sick of flying for 8 to 10 minutes before battery change. I also bought the longer arms and am going to use 15" props with SunnySky v3508 380kv motors 22.2volts. Yes there are more power full motors but they are much heavier and budgeting comes into play. I am using two zippy 6s 5800 MAH batteries (total 11600 MAH) that should give me at least 20 minutes easy flying. AUW with gopro gimbal and all fpv gear will be about 4.8 to 4.9 kg. (I could reduce this by 800 grams with only one battery).

I will see how I go with weight and flight times. Why not go to RCGroups there is heaps of information over there for the Tarot 680 pro, build logs etc.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133373
regards - bruce