Most ridiculous things "drone" haters have said to you?

mediaguru

The paranoia of "drones" is so unreasonable. Most of us are hobbyists or creative types who enjoy building and engineering these crafts as much as we do flying them. Personally, I'm not in this to invade someone's privacy or "spy" on them. I'm in this to put a camera in places which can produce creative shots never possible before. Most of what I build my hexa for is aerial shots of golf courses.

When flying somewhere most people are very receptive and inquisitive about my UAV's. But as we all know, there are completely paranoid people out there who think we hobbyists and professional flyers are trying to spy, steal, invade privacy etc.

A couple of weeks ago a lady walking her dog saw my quad and said "those are the things you steal phone conversations with, aren't they?" Despite what I told her, she was SURE I was stealing her phone conversations. I finally told her she should worry more about her government and the NSA stealing stuff like that.

Another lady saw me flying and asked about the "moral and ethical implications" of drone use. I asked, "what are the moral and ethical implications of taking pictures of a golf course from 200 feet in the air, because that's what I'm doing." Dumb.

What are the craziest, stupidest, most ridiculous things which have been said to you from haters and how did you (or did you) deal with them?

Ronan

Luckily most people i have encounter are intrigued by them. My phantom 2 looks innocent enough, and most people recognize the gopro under it and think it's nefty.

When i take the big boy out, full carbon fiber frame, larger camera, etc, then most people see the difference between the toy and the work tool.

Most question asked? How high does it fly.

Dumbest questions i was asked? Can it shoot missiles like the big one's on the news.

On a sweet note, yesterday a mother was walking her child and while smiling and talking to her baby she pointed to my lill phantom 2 that was buzzing around a tree (to show her child where the buzzing sound was coming from). The baby eyes was glued to it for a good 5 mins while clapping and laughing. Made her day :highly_amused:

Last edited by a moderator:

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Mostly for me its just the usual "how high/far will it go". that and people talking with each other "wow a spy drone"

-Ben

FlyGirl

So far I've not had a bad comment thankfully... Mostly "How long does it fly?", "How much does it cost?", stuff like that. Honestly, I get more people that seem oblivious to them than anything else....

SDB777

"Don't worry, you'll be able to fly it wherever you want!"
"Can it leave chemtrails?"
"Bet you can read the license plate on that car over there(pointing 1/2mile away)."

Scott (got any nekid pictures) B

mediaguru

"Don't worry, you'll be able to fly it wherever you want!"
"Can it leave chemtrails?"
"Bet you can read the license plate on that car over there(pointing 1/2mile away)."

Scott (got any nekid pictures) B

As fat as the neighbor lady is, the last thing I want to do is "spy" on her naked sunbathing...

Acill

I get a lot of the same. So far i havent had any bad response to mine. I usually have an extra pair of FPV goggles handy and let kids put them on and race all over and enjoy watching them toss hands up and scream and yell at how awesome it is. Some of the parents like it too.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
My cam op is an African American and I had two older folks come up o us at the “Ok GO” concert last night that we were hired to film and was asked point blank “Hey you, did you check him out to make sure he wasn’t a terrorist?” I was gumbfounded. i just looked at them and couldn’t even respond.