Mixing different motors types on multicopter

Flydigital

Can I mix different brands of motors? I'm flying a DJI F550 with stock DJI motors.
I have to replace one of my 6 motors and have seen one for half the price of the DJI stock motors.

The current motors I have are DJI 2212 / 970Kv which sell for around £20 each. Another brand, Emax 2213, is advertised as being compatible and half the price.

Is this a safe way to go or is it asking for trouble just to save a few quid?

Thanks for any advice!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I wouldn't recommend mixing motors. They may have the same specs but could handle slightly differently. :02.47-tranquillity:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Flying a similarly specced motor would probably work but as said it is likely to behave differently to the rest and that can only degrade flight performance so, for the sake of a few quid, I would just pony up for the DJI motor.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
From a BEGINNER here to the MR world.......

BLUF: I would get the same motors!!!!!

I can only say a few things..............

BACKGROUND:......Navigator, pilot, system engineer, Simulator program manager..................

I don't know TONS about MR stuff but having "matched" motors would make sense in my opinion. This probably has a few flaws in my logic and I hope folks RIP me apart for this........

Get MATCHED or SIMILAR (from the same supplier).....items......this can eliminate problems you MAY encounter.

I am still researching motors/output information but if YOU have the opportunity to get similar models.....TEST them........

If you don't have the opportunity to do so (cost, availability, knowledge with a test bed) then by all means TRY them out........it may cost you a few quid....but you will be that much further in figuring out what might work for you.

Just a suggestion.......

Personally....I would keep all the components the same. I am doing this now (with spares).....my rationale is that I want to test each item in my build BEFORE I have to use it in "real life"...

For the SITE here......we have no idea on your budget or what you want to accomplish but this is what I would do.....

Mike :)